• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Maybe I'm just cynical, but since much of what passes as brilliance in business these days is recycling old designs with substandard materials, inferior workmanship and a higher price. But of course, much more marketing to sell the junk.

I'm wondering if Colt could actually make a revolver as good as its legacy models, even if it really wanted to and tried hard to do so. Those skilled laborers are largely long gone, I'm afraid.

Could they? Sure. But few people will pay enough to make it a sound business. Profit margin isn't there.

William Bell (the Gun writer and retired Customs Agent) pointed out an interesting point that I agree with. I hope this is actually built by Colt and not built by Armscore withe a Colt name on it.

I had a Colt Peacekeeper DA revolver in 1991. (Mat version of a Colt Trooper MK5.) While one of the most accurate revolvers it was one of the worst due to it failed to fire 25-30% of the time. Colt was not concerned with fixing it so went down the road and I got a 686. My agitation over it was it was a duty gun.

Hopefully Colt changed their ways I'd love to have another one if it worked.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    William Bell (the Gun writer and retired Customs Agent) pointed out an interesting point that I agree with. I hope this is actually built by Colt and not built by Armscore withe a Colt name on it.

I had a Colt Peacekeeper DA revolver in 1991. (Mat version of a Colt Trooper MK5.) While one of the most accurate revolvers it was one of the worst due to it failed to fire 25-30% of the time. Colt was not concerned with fixing it so went down the road and I got a 686. My agitation over it was it was a duty gun.

Hopefully Colt changed their ways I'd love to have another one if it worked.

I'd be real surprised if Colt wasn't making this in house, and be REAL surprised if Armscor would be who they'd outsource it to. I know Armscor makes a clone, but the machine marks, finish, and grit filled trigger is not even close to a real Colt gun. Not even close to the iffy years for Colt.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    You always have to wonder how much "extra love" the review guns get prior to being shipped. I know for a fact at least some of the manufacturers do, and suspect they all do. The article listing an 8-lb DA and 2-lb SA? I'd not hold my breath that's what the off-the-shelf gun comes in at, but we'll see.

I do like the quick change front sight. I wonder if they'll offer a hammer shroud at some point.

A shrouded hammer would be nice as I think that is what I want my next "J-Frame Style" of revolver to have. The article also hinted at a 357Magnum possibly down the line I am very interested to see if a Python emerges. I doubt we will see the previous immaculate levels of finishing like the mirrored royal blue but a more "Value Oriented" line such as the stainless the Cobra is being offered in or even a "Melonite or Dan Wesson Duty Treat" finish to modernize the pistol a bit. Because not going to lie a snub nosed Python would be the coolest carry revolver ever.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Given colts track record in business the $699 price point will either be too low to be profitable causing an early exit from the market. Or they will vastly under estimate demand and I will never see one in the wild. I'd like the chance to coonfinger one but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just one man's opinion here, but maybe cautious optimism is a better thought process for these new wheelguns than assumptions for failure.
    It seems just a wee bit early to write these off before even one indepedent -- a la how Tim from Military Arms Channel did with the embarrassingly bad R51 -- review and a thousand rounds or so fired through off the shelf revolvers.
    It would be nice to have a third option for a decent quality USA-made DA revolver if these turn out to be decent quality, which would in turn lead to more options from them in this category.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just one man's opinion here, but maybe cautious optimism is a better thought process for these new wheelguns than assumptions for failure.
    It seems just a wee bit early to write these off before even one indepedent -- a la how Tim from Military Arms Channel did with the embarrassingly bad R51 -- review and a thousand rounds or so fired through off the shelf revolvers.
    It would be nice to have a third option for a decent quality USA-made DA revolver if these turn out to be decent quality, which would in turn lead to more options from them in this category.

I'm sort of looking at it the same except it's funny Colt sort of dropped the Civilian consumer from the early to mid1990's and really almost folded how many times since.

It's great there is a resurgence and all but I just hope they stay around the civilian market for a lot longer this time. Time will tell though. I k ow their expanded 1911 line seem to be taking off pretty well.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm sort of looking at it the same except it's funny Colt sort of dropped the Civilian consumer from the early to mid1990's and really almost folded how many times since.

It's great there is a resurgence and all but I just hope they stay around the civilian market for a lot longer this time. Time will tell though. I k ow their expanded 1911 line seem to be taking off pretty well.

But....but....Colt.......Merica.....

And they also supported the smart gun thing.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But....but....Colt.......Merica.....

And they also supported the smart gun thing.

LOL sounds like my antiquated father in law. Has no clue Beretta is made here and a US plant was in the contract, or SIG and FN are here as well now.

Or that Toyota is more made in America then his beloved Ford.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    LOL sounds like my antiquated father in law. Has no clue Beretta is made here and a US plant was in the contract, or SIG and FN are here as well now.

Or that Toyota is more made in America then his beloved Ford.

Yes, and it's good that US workers are earning a living to make those, but the fact remains that the profits still get shipped overseas.
    Not that that's a reason to do something as stupid as telling them to take their manufacturing back overseas as well, but it's still not quite the same as a US company employing US workers in the grand scheme.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Yes, and it's good that US workers are earning a living to make those, but the fact remains that the profits still get shipped overseas.
    Not that that's a reason to do something as stupid as telling them to take their manufacturing back overseas as well, but it's still not quite the same as a US company employing US workers in the grand scheme.

I'm not particularly concerned about where profits go. Any company that contributes to the American economy by hiring American workers is good in my book. Companies are international now, not just American, German or Japanese. If patriotism is the concern, buying a made-in-the-USA Toyota does more for fellow working Americans than a Ford built in Mexico. The suits will always find a way to get their profits.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm not particularly concerned about where profits go. Any company that contributes to the American economy by hiring American workers is good in my book. Companies are international now, not just American, German or Japanese. If patriotism is the concern, buying a made-in-the-USA Toyota does more for fellow working Americans than a Ford built in Mexico. The suits will always find a way to get their profits.

Not arguing against a free and open market, and foreign companies manufacturing here certainly contribute to our economy; but it's unavoidable that a business exists not to employ people, but to make profits.
    Foreign-headquartered companies still take those profits back to their home countries, however much of their investment they sprinkle along the way with any other countries for goods and services to earn those profits.
    It applies equally with US companies manufacturing in foreign countries.
    It's simply inescapable that the most net benefit to the USA as a whole comes from a domestic business employing domestic workers using domestic goods.
    This is not politics or wishful thinking, only reality.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I sure was not intending to get off topic by a simple comparison oh the way of INGO. But since we are there LOL I will say, I don't totally disagree but will point out I know several folks that work or worked at Toyota and they all had good things to say about their pay, how they are treated and benefits. And it's not even a Union job and the fact it is a foreign company.

Firearms companies might or might not be the same. I k ow by proxy a kid that graduated with my Daughter works for FN and it is supposedly good as well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I sure was not intending to get off topic by a simple comparison oh the way of INGO. But since we are there LOL I will say, I don't totally disagree but will point out I know several folks that work or worked at Toyota and they all had good things to say about their pay, how they are treated and benefits. And it's not even a Union job and the fact it is a foreign company.

To further muddy the waters, Toyota Motors is traded on the NYSE and it's a decent dividend paying stock at about 3%. So, you can grab a share of those "foreign profits" by buying shares. US financial institutions State Street Bank and JP Morgan Chase are the 4th and 7th largest shareholders of Toyota stock.

While not disputing it's better for a US company with US workers, it's not quite right to say all the profits go back to the home nation. Foreign shareholders take a piece of the pie in both directions.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Firearms companies might or might not be the same. I k ow by proxy a kid that graduated with my Daughter works for FN and it is supposedly good as well.

Maybe you need to read what I posted a bit more carefully.
    I'm not in any way saying that the workers for Toyota or any other foreign-held company are getting the short end of the stick or are otherwise aggrieved, only that it's a simple fact that, by definition, foreign companies take most of their profits to their countries.
    If they didn't take their profits there, then they wouldn't be foreign held, by definition.

To further muddy the waters, Toyota Motors is traded on the NYSE and it's a decent dividend paying stock at about 3%. So, you can grab a share of those "foreign profits" by buying shares. US financial institutions State Street Bank and JP Morgan Chase are the 4th and 7th largest shareholders of Toyota stock.

While not disputing it's better for a US company with US workers, it's not quite right to say all the profits go back to the home nation. Foreign shareholders take a piece of the pie in both directions.

Yes, and that's the nature of a corporate free market system, but it's still unavoidable that foreign-held companies' entire goal is taking the majority of their profits back to the country of their origin ultimately, however much foreign investment and stock sharing there may be.
    I really don't see how this could possibly be a point of debate, but perhaps the debate stems from rationalization from the huge numbers of people driving Toyotas, wearing Wrangler jeans, filling their tanks, and carrying CZ handguns, all while using products that are either partially or entirely composed of foreign components or from foreign companies.
    There's nothing to be ashamed of, as this is unavoidable for the average consumer in today's economy, but it's equally unavoidable that a majority of a given foreign manufacturer's net financial benefit goes back to its country of origin.
    If it didn't, then they'd eventually go out of business, just as so many of our own businesses have done for other reasons.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    I hope to make the new cobra my second ever gun purchase. I've got a range gun, I was already looking around for a carry gun. So I like that this is stainless, while I love blued guns with wood grips, a stainless with black grips seems more durable for everyday carry. I've been fortunate enough to have a couple old colts handed down to me, those have made me a fan. This will be the first time I've been of legal age to buy a new colt double action, and even if it's not like "the good old days" I will be happy to own my own Colt. I hope this is the start of a renaissance of sorts for colt. I'm excited to get to a gun store and get my hands on one, I assume stainless won't get damaged by my drool.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I hope to make the new cobra my second ever gun purchase. I've got a range gun, I was already looking around for a carry gun. So I like that this is stainless, while I love blued guns with wood grips, a stainless with black grips seems more durable for everyday carry. I've been fortunate enough to have a couple old colts handed down to me, those have made me a fan. This will be the first time I've been of legal age to buy a new colt double action, and even if it's not like "the good old days" I will be happy to own my own Colt. I hope this is the start of a renaissance of sorts for colt. I'm excited to get to a gun store and get my hands on one, I assume stainless won't get damaged by my drool.

Welcome to Ingo.
    I hope the new Colt(s) work out for you too. I'd love to see the old craftsmanship and quality return, even if it is over-priced in my arrogant opinon.
    I'm not as interested in the revolvers, though an interest is there nonetheless, as much as the new version of the 1903 Pocket Hammerless.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I'm with the young crusader, it would be cool to have the chance to own something iconic without it costing as much as a used car. As for the side convo about merica, it makes me wonder what type of cell phone "made in America" only people carry?

Top Bottom