• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I know, I just hate making reservations and then having to rush around to make it there on time. This time I'm hoping my wife will be ready to get out of Dodge early on Friday once we have seen everything but I'll probably be making reservations for Saturday.

The Oceanaire is good for seafood but is likely to be as or more expensive than St. Elmos. I purposefully don't go downtown often so other than those two, the only other places I'm familiar with are the brewpub type places like the Claddagh or the Ram, both of which are ok but a lot farther down the price scale. I'm thinking about trying to talk my wife into Fogo de Chao, after walking around downtown all day, I'll be ready to do some damage!

Oceaniare is overpriced and mediocre food now. We used to go there every year for years on Valentine's day and the menu was good. Then every year, prices went up and it got to the point the selection wasn't as good. We just stopped going.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I also appreciate the research and posting. Although I will be in Carmel for work for the next two days, I work downtown and this thread has ratified many of my downtown food choices.

I am also gratified that some of the places told the demanding mommies no, and were willing to admit it.

I do not like it when actors and entertainers try to act like some kind of enlightened experts on social and political issues. I appreciate the restaurants staying out of it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Anyone thought of getting this info to Tony Katz on WIBC? Could make for some interesting local talk radio...

Katz mentioned it this AM. He gave props to Guy and Abdul for the leg work.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I also appreciate the research and posting. Although I will be in Carmel for work for the next two days, I work downtown and this thread has ratified many of my downtown food choices.

I am also gratified that some of the places told the demanding mommies no, and were willing to admit it.

I do not like it when actors and entertainers try to act like some kind of enlightened experts on social and political issues. I appreciate the restaurants staying out of it.

Well, my never watching a Liam Neeson movie again doesn't hurt hos bottom line.

Telling 80,000 people with money to spend that you do not want their business is just dumb.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, my never watching a Liam Neeson movie again doesn't hurt hos bottom line.

Telling 80,000 people with money to spend that you do not want their business is just dumb.

No, they are arrogant enough to think that we want to eat there so bad we will just walk back to our cars and put it in the trunk.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If anyone has any more let me know and I will update Post #1

Pass this on to your friends.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Looking for a nice meal. Perhaps like St. Elmos but maybe just a touch down the price scale. Could go for seafood as easily as steak or even Italian. Plan would be to leave the Convention Center, walk to dinner, then walk back to my truck and leave. Open to recommendations.

Harry and Izzy's. Same owners and basically the same kitchen and menu as St. Elmo's but less expensive and it should be less crowded since it doesn't have the same name recognition to out of town so I.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Katz mentioned it this AM. He gave props to Guy and Abdul for the leg work.

I need to pay closer attention.

Wonder if any other local media is covering this? Wonder if there is a residual "black list" (one beyond INGO) for local anti-gun establishments?

The more the news of such things become common the more some might be shocked at what word of mouth can do. Just last year, I was in a lakeside fishing conversation with a seasoned walleye fisherman and a public servant. Randomly, public servant brings up his new Yeti cup purchase and is shut down by the walleye pro for supporting the anti-gun company. I just smiled...

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Looking for a nice meal. Perhaps like St. Elmos but maybe just a touch down the price scale. Could go for seafood as easily as steak or even Italian. Plan would be to leave the Convention Center, walk to dinner, then walk back to my truck and leave. Open to recommendations.
    Not a short walk, but for some of the best authentic Italian in Indy, on South Meridian, a block past Shapiros, is Iozzos Garden of Italy, family owned joint with excellent service. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!! Not sure on their gun stance, but they don’t seem to be libtards when I go there?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Not a short walk, but for some of the best authentic Italian in Indy, on South Meridian, a block past Shapiros, is Iozzos Garden of Italy, family owned joint with excellent service. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!! Not sure on their gun stance, but they don’t seem to be libtards when I go there?
    Thanks. This looks promising as I plan to breakfast at Shapiros and park south of the Conv. Ctr. and am camping 15 minutes south of there.

Any recommended dishes?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Try Greek Islands on south Meridian near Shaprio's. Family owned. Have to get the Saganaki, flaming cheese, served tableside flaming hot, so amazing. If on a budget, the gyros are fantastic, if the budget is higher, the lamb chops are always worth it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Have to try that soon.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Thanks. This looks promising as I plan to breakfast at Shapiros and park south of the Conv. Ctr. and am camping 15 minutes south of there.

Any recommended dishes?
    Lobster Ravioli, or the Pork Osso Buco if they have it. Both excellent, and I usually pair it with a Manhattan with smoked ice sphere. Also try their house made limoncello, very good!

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County

I like McCormick's & Schmidts. It is located in the Hilton. Morton's is also a good place for a nice meal.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Shared this list / thread w several friends and will be referencing it frequently when helping people Saturday when I volunteer at registration...

Thank you for this and I will try calling a few tomorrow, too!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Oceaniare is overpriced and mediocre food now. We used to go there every year for years on Valentine's day and the menu was good. Then every year, prices went up and it got to the point the selection wasn't as good. We just stopped going.

Thanks for the heads up, its been years since I've been there.

Top Bottom