Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...My wife’s currently a preschool teacher at our church’s preschool... I figure we might as well shut it down. The way the rest of the staff has reacted to this ordeal, they will want to follow the recommendations entirely, and it’s not feasible, even half of it.

as for our kids in public school... no way to expect even half of that will get implemented with any consistency. Might as well stop all bussing. You can’t isolate groups of kids by class if you can’t isolate them on the busses (and 1 per row, skipping every other row is not reasonable).

I’ve been trying to gently prepare my wife/kids for the possibility that the schools will decide the easiest course of action with the least risk is to continue the remote learning through the 20/21 school year. It’s not gone well for us, and my son who was seeing one of his better years through February ended really struggling. And given that remote learning was the first bullet point on that cdc webpage as the lowest risk solution, why would schools do anything else?

-rvb

Profound post, my friend. Thank you!

I copied it to pass along to my daughter, in a similar situation as you with my grand-kids.

:ingo:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    rmuy1fuk51051.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The new avatar is sharp. Saw it in a Stars and Stripes article and the caption read that they put the masks on sheep that adorn the top of a mattress store to remind motorists going by to be safe and wear a mask.

Apparently the irony of sheep wearing masks was lost on them...

Bingo!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Your honor and jury,

The school board KNEW what the CDC said would protect our children and still they did not follow it. Now poor mr and mrs sheep no longer have little Jimmy because the school board and school was negligent and failed to follow the recommendations that the CDC put out months in advance before school started!

Thereby you must aware my clients $100000000000 for all the pain and suffering of not having little jummy around anymore and punish this school for NOT listening to the CDC!!

It certainly seems this is exactly where we're at. When you have a government guideline, suggestion, guidance, or whatever term you wish to call it and you fail to perform to them...you might as well get ready for a law suit. And everyone responds accordingly.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Nowhere in the post does anything say mandatory. As far as I know the CDC doesnt make law, so if people are to stupid to believe these are "mandatory" then that's their own damn fault. What the chart states is factually true as compared to the article I linked from the CDC

Would it make you feel better if it said at the top of that chart it said "recommendations"

And seriously, you think the schools aren't going to follow that to the letter and take it just 1 step further? Especially when you have a plethora of stores requiring (mandatory) masks for everyone over the age of 2, follow the arrows, social distancing markers so you know where to stand, businesses checking employees temps, yada, yada, yada

It is not even "recommendations", so that would still be incorrect. Overacting to overreaction is not the solution. You got suckered into a facebook meme, it's not a big deal. In all things be cautious, but it is always good to verify.

If the phrase "Note: Cloth face coverings should not be placed on: Children younger than 2 years old" from https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools.html means that they are saying "Wear masks over the age of 2" there is nothing I can do to. It is like the glass half full/empty....except instead of taking the optimist or pessimist side, it is "The gubiment is making me drink water from a glass".

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Tell me how the hell this could possibly work! 30 kids pretty standard in a classroom and they have to be 6ft apart. Staggering kids coming into and leaving school. 1 kid per seat on the bus and skipping seats. They'll have to run 10 times as many buses and kids wont be getting home till 8pm at night. This **** is getting out hand!

Well. Maybe since they'll all have to wear masks, oxygen starved children might be more docile.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The new avatar is sharp. Saw it in a Stars and Stripes article and the caption read that they put the masks on sheep that adorn the top of a mattress store to remind motorists going by to be safe and wear a mask.

Apparently the irony of sheep wearing masks was lost on them...

Or not...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I think that would cause a riot, or a bigger budget deficit from more free money.

If all the kids stay home, parents who stay home will lose an income and those who are used to the school as taxpayer daycare will be forced to explore other options.

It may be the least health risk according to the CDC, which would be what is under their purview, but I think it would carry a high political risk for politicians and high financial risk for the country.

I looked ahead a couple pages and no one had posted it, so I went looking on my own. Oh well. Didn’t read ahead far enough....

My wife’s currently a preschool teacher at our church’s preschool... I figure we might as well shut it down. The way the rest of the staff has reacted to this ordeal, they will want to follow the recommendations entirely, and it’s not feasible, even half of it.

as for our kids in public school... no way to expect even half of that will get implemented with any consistency. Might as well stop all bussing. You can’t isolate groups of kids by class if you can’t isolate them on the busses (and 1 per row, skipping every other row is not reasonable).

I’ve been trying to gently prepare my wife/kids for the possibility that the schools will decide the easiest course of action with the least risk is to continue the remote learning through the 20/21 school year. It’s not gone well for us, and my son who was seeing one of his better years through February ended really struggling. And given that remote learning was the first bullet point on that cdc webpage as the lowest risk solution, why would schools do anything else?

-rvb

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've brought this up a few times and it's usually met with something along the lines of "it's not the flu!" :n00b: or they question the timing/spread.

Heya, didja know they don't actually know how many people are killed each year by the flu?

Its all estimates.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    sooner or later we are all gonna have to be tested for everything so everyone can trust all the models.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Speaking of models, IHME supposedly updated yesterday. They've added a bunch of comparative gadgets... but apparently not the total death numbers. Still projecting 110k dead by June 1, with 143k dead by August 4. That should drop a bit, because their estimates are still running high.

The unfrozen caveman numbers align through June 1.

In terms of "leading indicators," the critical patients appear to be increasing. No clue where that number comes from, but assuming some level of consistent sourcing, that could mean the breakout of some hotspots post-reopening.

Along those same lines, the weekly pattern for percentage increase/decrease of reported deaths has been low percentages reported over the weekend, then a Monday-Tuesday spike, then some midweek stability going into the weekend drop. The chart looks kinda like a heartbeat waveform, actually. This week's midweek stability appears to be higher than last week's. The trendline for the Rolling 5 Day Average is still tilted "upward," but is creeping towards level. (The Average Since 3/22 is still more steeply angled "up," but also flattening.)

Regardless, I don't see any domestic reports of medical infrastructure being stressed by the re-opening. That's good.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I think that would cause a riot, or a bigger budget deficit from more free money.

If all the kids stay home, parents who stay home will lose an income and those who are used to the school as taxpayer daycare will be forced to explore other options.

It may be the least health risk according to the CDC, which would be what is under their purview, but I think it would carry a high political risk for politicians and high financial risk for the country.

have any of those impacts mattered so far? I mean they closed schools when there were 0 cases in the county, only 1 case in all of the counties around us combined. The decision would rest on the superintendents, not the politicians. Schools that are in the red would see it as a lifeline, not having to run busses, etc.

I’ve talked to some parents, e.g. who attend our church, who say they will not be sending their kids back next year no matter what... too risky they say.

ETA: I could also see certain functions/activities restricted... like no or limited bussing, no extracurricular activities (or no/limited spectators), etc.

I really hope I’m wrong. I think it’s at least a real possibility, and you will see it at least some places (not necessarily nationally Or statewide).

-rvb

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom