• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Maybe posted before...........but a bud had a 1911 from WW2, beater and we tried shooting a clay on the backstop at 100.
    Never came close.
    Horribly inaccurate.
    Was fun though.

If such an attempt was all I ever experienced w handgun, then I'd proly think anything past 25 was hopeless.
    That may be why some don't think stuff can be done, easily, past 25.

These badguys are not soldiers. They're cowards.
    People aint hanging out with them either..........so hitting a bystander proly low.
    Those in close proximity are on the ground.

The thinking of some on these types of threads...............yeah, they've already talked themselves out of ever stepping up should the need arise.
    Sure some of it comes from the other direction, is macho BS.

The way I see it.........a badguy is a target. Shoot the target.
    If you know how.

Too many people I've seen at the range shoot AT stuff. They hope to hit it.
    They lack skill and or confidence, for whatever reasons.
    Sure some gear is better than others.

Speaking of........

Just for giggles I'll take my POS LCP and try some 25 and 50. With some ammo it hits low up close. It'd be pretty crappy past 25.
    But hey, I aint tried it, was purchased for close stuff.

But by golly I'll go out and see what it does.
    Got a new box of clay pigeons.

Last edited:

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    The more I think about this - it depends..

Am I 50 yards being him? or 50 yards in front of him. Much different shot...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Been shooting 300 rounds a week in practice for three months. It has helped a lot. Trying not to suck at Nationals.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I went to SPB yesterday and my first shot at 25 yards was within 2 inches of the bulls eye.

My second was off the 12" shoot n c. so no as I shot I got better with 75% on target.

At 15, 10, 7 and 5 I did a much better job.

I do have one question though. Why was 50 yards posited in the first place?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Why was 50 yards posited in the first place?

Because that is the shot you are given in this scenario. 50 yards is a shot that some folks can make, if practiced.

You need to decide how to handle yourself in this situation. Whether to shoot or not. Whether to sit tight, move in, escape. It's all about a mental exersize to challenge your mindset to become better prepared. There are no perfect solutions.

We need challenging scenarios to test our capabilities. It's easy for all of us to envision an active shooter breaking out at a comfortable range for you to quickly put effective rounds on him. Too easy and very unlikely to happen.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    It goes without saying that during my lawdog days I experienced my share of hairy encounters.

The role played by my professional skills was obviously of paramount performance in the fact that I am still here amongst you.

But it is also an undeniable albeit unfortunate fact that luck plays a part as well. IMHO, luck can be influenced by one's mental attitude.

One should never ask the question, "If the SHTF right now, can I stop the evil?"

The proper approach should not be in the form of a question, but in a statement:

"If the SHTF right here, right now, you can bet your sweet ass I'm going to stop the evil."

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [video=youtube;c_dC1H3gbAg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_dC1H3gbAg[/video]

BKahuna

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I guess my priorities are a little different than most. My number one priority, and the reason I carry, is to protect myself and my family. If I'm any distance away from the shooter in that Walmart, I plan on extending that distance, and getting my family safely out of there. I'm not likely to return to the fire fight after that, either. I didn't sign up to protect the general public. They all have made a choice whether to protect themselves or not.

If I couldn't get away without engaging, I certainly would, to the best of my ability, but that's not number one on my list.

Now, if I'm separated from my family, in that store, that's a completely different scenario.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I guess my priorities are a little different than most. My number one priority, and the reason I carry, is to protect myself and my family. If I'm any distance away from the shooter in that Walmart, I plan on extending that distance, and getting my family safely out of there. I'm not likely to return to the fire fight after that, either. I didn't sign up to protect the general public. They all have made a choice whether to protect themselves or not.

If I couldn't get away without engaging, I certainly would, to the best of my ability, but that's not number one on my list.

Now, if I'm separated from my family, in that store, that's a completely different scenario.

Certainly wouldn't be wrong in doing so.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I understand.
    And that's your right.

But, how would you feel if your family were in that situation without you, and killed.
    Then they interview a guy or two that were there, and stated what you just said.
    ?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I understand.
    And that's your right.

But, how would you feel if your family were in that situation without you, and killed.
    Then they interview a guy or two that were there, and stated what you just said.
    ?
    There is no real way to know how you'd feel without actually going through it. Would I be mad that a stranger saved himself and did not try to save my family and they died? I dono. Maybe...maybe not. Would I be mad if that person tried to help my family and only made the situation worse and got them killed where they might not otherwise have been harmed? Maybe. Do what you think is right but that does not mean it is the ONLY right thing to do. Too many variables to have one answer.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If someone is armed and on the scene and they do nothing we know the outcome. It is the same outcome if there are no armed good guys in the area. The result will be whatever the criminal decides to do.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I understand.
    And that's your right.

?
    I'd be pissed Mrs Monkey didnt take him out first.

But seriously, I wouldnt be mad. Sad, but not mad. As stated, its not his responsibility. I'd owe him (or her) big time if they did choose to engage, but as its above and beyond, I would harbor no ill will against them for their self preservation instincts.

Top Bottom