• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As far as the optics of this, I think it's good optics to have gun owners holding signs that they are family people too, that they care about children too, that all the "blood on their hands" accusations are nonsense.

Confronting a wrong narrative in the right way is right optics.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I appreciate the responses guys.

I understand your guys' concerns. Yes, we may alienate some in our community by not allowing OC. This is the price we pay when we have to play politics. In the end, I believe it is worth the sacrifice of a few on the more extreme end, since it will give us a better image as a whole. Ideally, I would prefer everyone show up in their Sunday's best.

As far as the whole counter-protest vs protest thing - I think it goes without saying that I am NOT a community organizer. This was entirely reactionary, because I am tired of gun owners not having a voice, being ignored by the media, and just generally "losing". The media will not be able to ignore us here, and we will be seen/heard. I would love to plan a march later on independently, but this is what we have right now, so I'm running with it.

I have spoken with the Chief of Police, and will be sitting down with them Wednesday the 21st to discuss our parameters for the protest. I am confident this will be a positive show of force from the liberty-loving community.

No thanks, I won’t be there if I can’t carry as I see fit. I will continue to stage my own counter protest every day, using open carry as the conversation starter it is, continuing to educate those interested in learning facts, not lettimg emotion rule the day.

Signed,

From the more extreme end.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No thanks, I won’t be there if I can’t carry as I see fit. I will continue to stage my own counter protest every day, using open carry as the conversation starter it is, continuing to educate those interested in learning facts, not lettimg emotion rule the day.

Signed,

Rrom the more extreme end.

The above is exactly why it's a crapshoot in holding a counter protest. Some will inevitably take their own notions to heart, rather than the collective community. As such, they will most certainly distract, as they will undoubtedly get all the attention.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just an FYI - but there are several more of these "Student Led" march for our lives events:

The "march" is also now a "DOT-COM" web site with FB page with 180,000 followers (in a month?) and the events are Global - ...
    what? yeah.

That isn't student led - grass roots. ... just sayin. ... and sharin FYI.

Not student led or student funded. 180K in a month? Sounds like Shannon Watts numbers that I never believed. We need to put boots on the street.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The above is exactly why it's a crapshoot in holding a counter protest. Some will inevitably take their own notions to heart, rather than the collective community. As such, they will most certainly distract, as they will undoubtedly get all the attention.

I won’t “distract” because I won’t be there. And “my own notions” have worked just fine for me (and the “community” so far, thank you).

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    My thoughts on this? Keep your distance from the group and DO NOT get anywhere near them. Maybe hand out fliers to those coming and going to the rally but keep your distance. These people are being driven by emotion and the idea that they have the moral high ground. They will be in a fighting mood and will want to goad 2nd Amendment supporters into a fight. Don't give in to the urge to get angry with them even if they get right in your face and scream at you. Have enough self-control to not yell back at them because it will only go against you in the media coverage.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Glad to hear there are patriots that believe they need to "do something." :patriot:

That said, I think a counter protest is acknowledging the immaturity/anti-gun protest. We don't need to do that. The more we do as a counter, the more the attention comes back to them. Let them holler and chant stupid lies and :poop:. It will show them as the foolish Pelosi/Schumer/Como liberals that are behind them.

If we really need to "do something," wait a few weeks observe the liberal immaturity festering, then plan a celebration of our principles.

April 19th is a famous day in our history. Patriot's Day would be an excellent time to do just that.
    Many of us already do celebrate Patriots Day doing 2A related things and have for years.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My thoughts on this? Keep your distance from the group and DO NOT get anywhere near them. Maybe hand out fliers to those coming and going to the rally but keep your distance. These people are being driven by emotion and the idea that they have the moral high ground. They will be in a fighting mood and will want to goad 2nd Amendment supporters into a fight. Don't give in to the urge to get angry with them even if they get right in your face and scream at you. Have enough self-control to not yell back at them because it will only go against you in the media coverage.

This x1000. If you have someone screaming at you and you can maintain a calm, peaceful demeanor it goes a LOOOOONG way. That might change some minds as somebody on the fence watches their boob tube as some harpy goes all wharbgarble on someone neatly dressed who quietly attempts to engage in peaceful conversation, asking polite questions obviously trying to have a meaningful discussion. I could easily see someone on the fence going "what the hell is wrong with them? He is calmly trying to discuss but she keeps screaming nonsensical questions at him and attacking him. Maybe there is more to this? Maybe she IS crazy. Do I really want to listen to a crazy person?"

Glad to here there are patriots that believe they need to "do something." :patriot:

That said, I think a counter protest is acknowledging the immaturity/anti-gun protest. We don't need to do that. The more we do as a counter, the more the attention comes back to them. Let them holler and chant stupid lies and :poop:. It will show them as the foolish Pelosi/Schumer/Como liberals that are behind them.

If we really need to "do something," wait a few weeks observe the liberal immaturity festering, then plan a celebration of our principles.

April 19th is a famous day in our history. Patriot's Day would be an excellent time to do just that.
    Many of us already do celebrate Patriots Day doing 2A related things and have for years.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Didn't I say about keeping space - like a few posts back? - also make sure you have your own video ready / going ...

anyway .. I wanted to commetn on the OC thing
    - I get where CB is coming from - and I HAVE BEEN where OC of long guns will get you on a counter-rally in instances like this
    ... which I think I said ...
    ... but it is getting your name and your group slandered - starting with the Left Stream Media (LSM) and spilling into the MSM ...

That's what the OP & Event Organizers are trying to avoid - ... while it is NOT that they are opposed to OC ... or the right too
    - - this is strategic request.
    You could probably OC your EDC and so long as you aren't singled out because of it
    - - and if you maintain a cool completely composed demeanor in the face of the opposition
    and any insults - you may win some points - J

I have OC'd at most of the Rallies we did - my Glock on my hip; ... the one where I was CCing - - I think it was May 2014 - and a couple others (not too active here now)
    where Carrying openly - and we had a mom w/ kids in our midst - on our side - (IMAGC founder) - is the one where Think Progress, Salon - et al - attacked and if they'd known our names would have eviscerated us, in a journalistic sense. Even though the handful of us were out numbered and surrounded.

There was no defense against the media. -

When down the road "WE" (our side) get a 2A rally on its own planned - I hope to see it game on and go bigger than the ones of 2013 and 2014.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Today, my daughter stood outside and was silent for 17 minutes not in protest, but in respect for those children who were murdered in Florida.
    Kinda proud of her.
    I’m also against people murdering our children.

I dont think anyone in America is for it.

I absolutely support the upcoming march of students to raise their concerns.

If she wants to go downtown, I’ll happily drive her and her friends.

I’m compelled to support her rights to express herself and to hold her government accountable.

Hopefully, I’ve brought her up well enough to define the question and be part of the solution as she politely respects everyone else’s rights. I believe she understands what it means to find a solution that still leaves other’s rights intact. And the massive difficulty of putting in place a real solution that isn’t just feel good politics.

If you want to stage an “indiana gun owners against violence” march, I’ll be there. Because the threat of violence against me and those that I love is a large part of why I own guns and carry them.

But fundamentally, I can’t support a counter protest. I’m 100% with them on being against violence against our schoolchildren.
    My hope is that we can all have adult conversation about how to best accomplish that.

If someone wants to ban all guns, that’s a different march than this.

I struggle to understand why you are even here. You are what is known as a Fudd. We don't have much respect for such half baked 'supporters' of the 2A. You seem to think the left is not after total disarmament of this country. You are VERY mistaken if so.
    29340474_1765225210207658_4277051707508129792_n.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I struggle to understand why you are even here. You are what is known as a Fudd. We don't have much respect for such half baked 'supporters' of the 2A. You seem to think the left is not after total disarmament of this country. You are VERY mistaken if so.

Just for clarification "we," is "you" and those who think like you. There is nothing wrong with OD's perspective (one that respects his chid's opinion, and the hope that he has taught them correctly). He clearly says that he wishes she can come to a solution that leaves others rights intact.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Didn't I say about keeping space - like a few posts back? - also make sure you have your own video ready / going ...

anyway .. I wanted to commetn on the OC thing
    - I get where CB is coming from - and I HAVE BEEN where OC of long guns will get you on a counter-rally in instances like this
    ... which I think I said ...
    ... but it is getting your name and your group slandered - starting with the Left Stream Media (LSM) and spilling into the MSM ...

That's what the OP & Event Organizers are trying to avoid - ... while it is NOT that they are opposed to OC ... or the right too
    - - this is strategic request.
    You could probably OC your EDC and so long as you aren't singled out because of it
    - - and if you maintain a cool completely composed demeanor in the face of the opposition
    and any insults - you may win some points - J

I have OC'd at most of the Rallies we did - my Glock on my hip; ... the one where I was CCing - - I think it was May 2014 - and a couple others (not too active here now)
    where Carrying openly - and we had a mom w/ kids in our midst - on our side - (IMAGC founder) - is the one where Think Progress, Salon - et al - attacked and if they'd known our names would have eviscerated us, in a journalistic sense. Even though the handful of us were out numbered and surrounded.

There was no defense against the media. -

When down the road "WE" (our side) get a 2A rally on its own planned - I hope to see it game on and go bigger than the ones of 2013 and 2014.

You did say you were taking a break from Statehouse stuff... not really the break I expected Bill. It's been 5 years since we surrounded the Statehouse (that doesn't seem possible.) I'm keeping an eye on the weather, if it's raining the antis won't get off the bus.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    You did say you were taking a break from Statehouse stuff... not really the break I expected Bill. It's been 5 years since we surrounded the Statehouse (that doesn't seem possible.) I'm keeping an eye on the weather, if it's raining the antis won't get off the bus.

yeah - no rest for the weary. I seem to be one of the more experienced at this within the groups I am in - so I'm a sheep dog helping train the new sheep dogs or something.

I dunno. :dunno:

AND YES - it HAS BEEN TOO LONG since we've surrounded the state house apparently - Time to partner w/ every 2A Group to do that again. - on our terms.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    FYI from the "March for Our Lives" .com web site FAQ ..... there are 817 locations for this now - world wide ...

IS THERE A SECTION 501(C)(3) MARCH FOR OUR LIVES ORGANIZATION?

You can make tax-deductible contributions to support the March for Our Lives movement and student-led activism by supporting the March For Our Lives Initiative at Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund. Checks should be made payable to: March For Our Lives—Everytown Support Fund

Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund
    PO Box 3886
    New York, NY 10163

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    FYI from the "March for Our Lives" .com web site FAQ ..... there are 817 locations for this now - world wide ...
    Huh. So an anti-gun organization can be a 501(C)... so could the NRA be the same? Currently deductions to the NRA are not tax deductible, but apparently donations to Bloomberg's group are.

Top Bottom