• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    A 25-06 with nice glass gets you anything up to deer. After that, switch to a 375 H&H and that will take you all the way up to Cape Buffalo.

But it just seems the 25-06 is not as popular as it once was so the ammo is more scarce and more expensive.

Tirador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Otwell,IN
    it just doesnt make since, the only thing i can think of is that there are way more deer hunters than yote hunters and if you had everyone in the woods with rifles it would be a lot more dangerous, possibly more hunters getting injured or hunters not being careful and shooting houses or equipment,

Well thought out rkesar! There are always thousands of idiots out there for the first time, young and old alike, shooting at everything that moves. Maybe it should be like under age drivers and have someone watch U for the first 2 or 3 yrs. Thats right we are doing that now. But think if U started out with an Indy 500 race car for drivers training.With high power rifles, just like race cars even adults don't seem to have any sense. Keep posting and soak up the knowledge.

70worm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Pendleton
    I dont know a guy who guides hunts for prarie dogs and uses a 22-250. He says it's fast, flat, and wont ware out the barrel as fast as a 220swift or 223wssm.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    A 25-06 will get you well past any deer they make, through elk and on to moose.

Its popularity suffers from it being a long action cartridge and from there being no outstanding bullets in 0.257". Swift took a good shot at it but, typical of Swift, gave the profile too much beating surface. A 0.257" AMax could change matters considerably, and vault something like the 257 Weatherby to superstardom.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Funny because we were just talking about this at work the other day, guy at work came up with more people in the woods, and the distance the round will travel even after impact, seems logical to me, but who knows. That being said he is all about using .223 for yotes, I personally am going to test out 8mm mauser when the deer hunters clear out, have heard they work well for it from others. BTW a friend of mine used a mosin, had decent luck with it but quit using it for an unknown reason, guessing the nasty recoil though.

What bullets will you be using?

I like the idea of varmint bullets, if somebody misses a shot on hard ground.

Still get guys coming into my buds gun shop shooting FMJ ball ammo from SKS and AR's for chucks and yotes. Don't want to be in the field next door to those guys :noway:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I realize this is an older thread, but if you're using a .204, try looking into them loaded with Barnes "varmint grenades", but ONLY if you don't want to keep the pelt.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know it is out of the budget you set but I use my AR based bull barreled .223. As stated early in this thread, wind is an issue but the Hornady .75 gr. rounds knock the snot out of them and I have made some good 500 yd. shots in the calm. Wind brings out my Ruger .243
    It is a snow plow in moderate wind and the rifle was very inexpensive when purchased used from a friend. It will take white tail at 500 yds. Many variants of ammo available and a straight shooter.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I have used the 22-250 in a savage for about eight years now and it will take them out past 500 yards. It shoots 55gr Sierra blitz kings with 36gr Varget powder the best. I could noy be happier with a nother round. It just comes down to what you want to use. good luck.

heisman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    coyotes

.17 rem, .17 rem fireball, .222 rem,.204, .222 rem mag, .22 hornet, 220 swift, .221, .223, .224 even .22 mag are good sizes.
    .243, .243wsm, .243wssm. 25-06, .240, are good next level cal.
    You can kill with anything, keep in mind night time laws, wind, distance and multiple shots(semi-auto,bolt,pump)

heisman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    coyotes

also look at "Laser Genetics" for a night time predator light, they are awesome, mount right to your scope, come in 30mm,40mm and 50mm

jdklvans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Michiana
    Track your deer quickly or the coyotes will get to it like they did to mine this year. All that was left was the rib cage and head.

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    On varmints, at least here in IN, the bigger bores are a waste........for me at least.

Anything over 200 yards anywhere I can hunt is RARE, and a 223 gets my nod for accuracy, low recoil, and availability of decent mid range cost ammo.

Before buying big stuff, price the ammo or even loading it. UGH

Ive shot varmints from 22lr to 7mm mag including 7mm08, 2506, 222, 223, 222mag,22-250,243 and even a 6.5x284 (single barrel MOA handgun.......ahem LEGAL for deer in IN.....ROFL)

Kicking myself still for selling my Sako 222mag decades past. Ballistically a twin to the 223, that gun and round ran 107 STRAIGHT kills for me on groundhogs and crows (before they had a SEASON on crows........sigh) taking shots on anything I could see with a lowly Weaver 4-12. (I paid 216 bucks for the set up........new. Arghh. Price one NOW)

Now that Im old and poorER from too many X wives and too many guns coming and going, I look at the cost of using most firearms.

Fun is fun, but MORE fun when I dont have to watch how much I shoot. Some of you dont have to worry and can blaze away not me.

Wont get cheaper in the future either. Stock up! Once I find me another varminter (coyotes are getting the best of my deer hunting. Not sure if killing deer or just driving them out but we see 4-5 at a time now), in my price range I plan to buy brass and powder and primers to last a decade or so. Ive got like 1000 22 bullets now (and always watch for CHEAP ones listed) and already have 2000 BR primers (leftovers).

One thought though for those "hide hunting" for coyotes (is there a market?) take a look at coyotegods dot com.

There is ONE caliber they praise high and mighty.........the 17 cal (with particular bullets) and they too talk often of shots out hunting. Calling, your shots just arent normally far unless you take them too soon. Just my opinion.

GodBless

Last edited:

skreuzman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    I think the .17HMR is often overlooked for larger varmits such as coyotes. As someone else said, in Indiana (or atleast the southern half) you aren't going to get those 300-400 yard shots very often...especially at night! Most shots are going to be 200 yds or less (atleast in my experience). The .17 can be a deadly weapon even for larger animals if the shot is placed correctly. Keep in mind that even light winds can affect these shots at longer distances. I love the .22-250 & .223 also, but pretty much the same as far as the wind. When I go, I usually take a couple guns. A 12 gauge for real close shots, .17HMR for mid range shots, and either .270 win or .25-06 for those longer shots. Just my 2 cents...:patriot:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i mainly use my 260. its the rifle im most familiar with, i dont save hides, ive shot alot more at 400+ than i have at 200. im surounded by open fields. my closest shot has been 150ish and my longest has been 550.

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    LOL......cool, Vette.

My CLOSEST shot on a coyote was swinging the gun at the hip as he ran over my caller from behind me.......about 8 feet.

Scared the bejesus outa me!

I think too, its what you LIKE shooting. Long range is fun, granted. Still like long shots but getting em up close and personal (not like above though, lol) is pretty much all my old heart will take!

Shot one with a bow last year......I thought I was gonna have a stroke!

God Bless

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I think the .17HMR is often overlooked for larger varmits such as coyotes. As someone else said, in Indiana (or atleast the southern half) you aren't going to get those 300-400 yard shots very often...especially at night! Most shots are going to be 200 yds or less (atleast in my experience). The .17 can be a deadly weapon even for larger animals if the shot is placed correctly. Keep in mind that even light winds can affect these shots at longer distances. I love the .22-250 & .223 also, but pretty much the same as far as the wind. When I go, I usually take a couple guns. A 12 gauge for real close shots, .17HMR for mid range shots, and either .270 win or .25-06 for those longer shots. Just my 2 cents...:patriot:

How many dogs have you killed with the HMR? I was not impressed with the performance at all.

skreuzman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    I've never shot a .260 but 550 yds on a yote is impressive for any gun! I can honestly say I've never never shot anything alive at that distance. I agree with SKRSR, long shots might give bragging rights but there is nothing like the thrill of a close encounter. I have been within 10 yds on several occasions. Talk about "heart stopping"! Add to that that it was in the dark, no roller coaster can compare!

Top Bottom