Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    How is an exposed AR "baiting"?
    It's a gun show.
    Are we supposed to brown bag it?

Not at all. I'm only talking about going out of your way to confront the fools, assuming the Sheriff's deputies keep them some distance away from the building.

In fact, I may well take an AR and sling it for the sole purpose of making a statement to anyone (like local news media) who happens to be observing the show. I'll have other guns too, for sale and for trade, but the AR will be strictly for making a statement.

I thought about baiting the protesters but as gratifying as it might be I've decided to forego it. I don't want to give them or the media anything they can use against us.

If some media type has questions, I'm going to mock the protesters as misinformed, misguided and not to be take seriously. I seriously doubt any remarks to that effect will be either quoted or televised.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not at all. I'm only talking about going out of your way to confront the fools, assuming the Sheriff's deputies keep them some distance away from the building.

In fact, I may well take an AR and sling it for the sole purpose of making a statement to anyone (like local news media) who happens to be observing the show. I'll have other guns too, for sale and for trade, but the AR will be strictly for making a statement.

I thought about baiting the protesters but as gratifying as it might be I've decided to forego it. I don't want to give them or the media anything they can use against us.

If some media type has questions, I'm going to mock the protesters as misinformed, misguided and not to be take seriously. I seriously doubt any remarks to that effect will be either quoted or televised.

Chances are, the only person they will quote on our side, is someone that sounds uneducated.
    Make a good argument, and that footage will be unused.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Still think OtherDave should engage the protesters in a polite discussion. It would be entertaining to see his cheerful face on the evening news, smiling and talking to the snowflakes.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I haven't checked to see if the signs are still there, but the county formerly purported to ban firearms on the fairgrounds. I know, it's crazy, having a gun show on grounds where firearms are supposedly banned, but there it is.

The following is *NOT* legal advice; just my personal opinion. I think the rule/ordnance, if still in place, is unlawful, whether it's just a rule or a county ordnance, because Indiana has a firearms regulation preemption law. In fact, Indiana law specifies a citizen can sue a local government that violates the pre-emption law.
    I believe you are correct. The signs are still there, they prohibit "weapons". I don't know how long they have had the ordinance but if it doesn't pre-date the preemption law, it's void. The Gun Show and it's participants are exempt from the ordinance. As long as someone is attending the Gun Show, they are exempt. People loitering with firearms might be asked to leave by the Sheriff's Department.
    Carrying a firearm is fine, to sell it or make a statement. That said,I don't recommend "baiting" the protesters. They have the right to protest whatever they want, we just want to have a safe show. As gun owners, it's our responsibility to act professional. Let the protesters act like idiots if they want to. These protesters have their minds made up, I seriously doubt engaging them in a logical conversation will change their hearts and minds.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    The Times surely doesn't have an agenda as per their ownership. They wouldn't dare wait to pounce on the smallest bit of clap trap to have the protesters play the poor victim.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    The Times surely doesn't have an agenda as per their ownership. They wouldn't dare wait to pounce on the smallest bit of clap trap to have the protesters play the poor victim.
    The Times is not entirely left leaning. They have commentary from conservatives often on many issues. They endorsed Eric Holcomb during the governor's race over his democratic opponent.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    These protesters have their minds made up, I seriously doubt engaging them in a logical conversation will change their hearts and minds.

quote-never-argue-with-a-fool-onlookers-may-not-be-able-to-tell-the-difference-mark-twain-47-42-.jpg

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-Mark Twain

[Not sure Twain actually said this but the quote is often attributed to him. My Aunt Rose used to say, "Never argy with a fool, Skippy. Sometimes folks cain't tell which one is which."]

Last edited:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Brian the no weapons sign is void per the state rule. Some place in a post on INGIO this was discussed several years ago

GlockRiver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    The Zone
    25ecuq.jpg

That is awesome! ROFLMAO!

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Keep your mouth SHUT and walk on by ,would be good advise
    Many Patriots died to afford me the Right to Bear and keep arms. I am not ashamed to own firearms and am never looking for trouble. There can protest all they want, they can wave their signs and dance around singing, I could care less. If they have intentions of threatening or impeding me from attending a gun show, then lets hope the cops can calm their happy butts down before anything serious happens.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    FYI SHOW GOERS:

NWI Times Lauren Cross will be at the show. She may want to interview people, so be prepared if you're going to agree to be interviewed. Her pic is on the bottom of the page of her article about the protest.

Her article uncritically quoted misstatements of law and fact from the protesters press release, but was otherwise pretty straight. No reason to think she has any axe to grind but she is likely to be uninformed or misinformed generally about gun laws, gun shows and gun crimes. Please be nice if you decide to talk with her.

UnionPmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NW Indiana
    So is there a general consensus?
    Go to the show to support it and our 2A, avoid the sqaure, protest, and getting baited into something the media would love?
    Open AR carry?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I would love to see a picture of OtherDave having a polite discussion with a group of protesters. I have to work, otherwise I would take a trip up there to take the picture. :laugh:

Man, when I read what he said you wouldn't believe the things that went thru my mind.......I could just see him getting whacked in the head by 4-5 old ladies on Prozac and a ham sammich thrown at him as he was running for the door!

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Man, when I read what he said you wouldn't believe the things that went thru my mind.......I could just see him getting whacked in the head by 4-5 old ladies on Prozac and a ham sammich thrown at him as he was running for the door!
    I have never seen Dave run. Run Forrest Run.

Top Bottom