• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    At this stage, what else will you do to the slide and frame? Obviously, you will add some slide cuts, but what about the blockiness of it all?

Will you contour the frame and slide a little bit with some beveled edges or something to tone it down so it doesn’t look so massive? Porting?

Curious to see where you’ll take it from here.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    At this stage, what else will you do to the slide and frame? Obviously, you will add some slide cuts, but what about the blockiness of it all?

Will you contour the frame and slide a little bit with some beveled edges or something to tone it down so it doesn’t look so massive? Porting?

Curious to see where you’ll take it from here.
    Plan is to make the STI gun (black grip) have a large clean and simple look. Some tasteful serrations for accent, but not overly dramatic. More of an elegant look I suppose.

The Cheely (purple grip) gun will be the opposite. I'll probably do ball cut serrations in quite a few places, maybe some slant nose style in the front on the dust cover area, probably some porting. I'd like that gun to look the part of "fun".

It's really hard to make a custom look that hasn't been done before. Anytime I think I found something new and cool, I jump on the 1911 forum and see someone did it 10-20 years ago (or more). I'm also limited a bit with machining due to experience and using a manual mill instead of CNC.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    You do have a pair of pistols ... like this guy ...

View attachment 321484

Maybe a little laser engraving along with whatever else you have planned for the slides?
    I think that gun is gonna end up purple and black. I do like the idea of laser engraving, but me being me, I'd probably drown from too many options and inability to decide. I suffer heavily from analysis paralysis. Similar to doing metal art, I've been doing better with letting the workpiece tell me what it wants and kinda go with the flow that way, letting it morph into its final configuration.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The EGW gunsmith plate has a slot for mounting the slide at a 15 degree angle to cut cocking serrations, however they designed it for the plate to be mounted vertically in a vise. With the slide overhanging the end of the plate, you get access to both sides at once. Well, that doesn't work if you want to cut serrations with the plate laying down and using different types of end mills. You can cut one side with the plate flat, but not the other side.

So, I cut another slot myself and now I can do both sides with the plate laying flat. I believe AllenM had told me he did something similar to his plate.

1000005001.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Teaser pics of the Caspian slide. Going to try something I haven't done before.....

I'll give a hint, take a look at Guncrafter Industries Hellcat X2.

1000005002.jpg
    1000005003.jpg

Top Bottom