• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I get weird questions at Cabela's about if I was ever (some very strange name completely unlike my own) who lived in some southern state or (some less strange name, but still completely unlike my own) who lived in yet another state, but it goes through.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I get weird questions at Cabela's about if I was ever (some very strange name completely unlike my own) who lived in some southern state or (some less strange name, but still completely unlike my own) who lived in yet another state, but it goes through.

Interesting, I didn't think the retailer saw anything but a deny, accept or delay?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I would call Kirk Freeman and have him file some crap to get your appeal thru.

The only thing is you have to put up with him babbling on about some obscure weapon of the German Army....

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

Does Cabela's keep their own records? Nics will not seek or divulge that type of information over the phone. Official requests are to be mailed.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Does Cabela's keep their own records? Nics will not seek or divulge that type of information over the phone. Official requests are to be mailed.

I don't know, they use an online system that takes a while because two employees have to verify it at different stages. Both asked me about the alternative names and addresses that popped up on the screen.

BoilerMakerME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    I asked the Noblesville Cabelas guys last fall and he stated it's their own system for checking straw purchases. I was asked the same thing if i was related to or knew a couple odd names of people.

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    Hmm, I always give my SSN too because I thought the whole point of that was to avoid being confused with someone else with my name.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I asked the Noblesville Cabelas guys last fall and he stated it's their own system for checking straw purchases. I was asked the same thing if i was related to or knew a couple odd names of people.

WTF

Hmm, I always give my SSN too because I thought the whole point of that was to avoid being confused with someone else with my name.

Only helps if someone, somewhere, enters the right SSN for someone. It's 9 numbers that can easily have a typo

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    About a year and a half ago.

Maybe I need to buy more guns. ;)

i havent bought a gun in 10 years. walked into cabelas sat morning, picked out a rifle hour later i was walking out the door.

i was kinda surprised that the employees at the door didnt want to check my receipt....

:cheers:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    i havent bought a gun in 10 years. walked into cabelas sat morning, picked out a rifle hour later i was walking out the door.

i was kinda surprised that the employees at the door didnt want to check my receipt....

:cheers:

Did that hour include 50 minutes of shopping for the rifle?

Goldbomb79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    I tried reading through all 9 pages, but might have missed it. Did any of your immediate family get in trouble lately? I had a relative get drunk and do something stupid that lived by me, and I got delayed after that. Only time that’s ever happened to me before. Might have just been a coincidence but the guy behind the counter said he’s seen it more often than you’d think.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    Sorry I haven't been able to get back to this thread for while, but I have an update. When I filed my appeal the form said that they would get back to me in 5 working days with a general reason for the denial. This wasn't reassuring news. But much to my surprise on Monday I received a letter from DOJ stating that my name had been associated with some douche nozzle in Burlington NJ who had a protective order filed against him in 1998. Just as an aside the farthest East I have ever been was Redding PA. But even more surprising to me was that they included the name and address of the police department involved. So after just a few calls I was able to contact a very nice lady in the records department (women are powerless to resist my charm, even over the telephone.) I faxed her the info that I received along with a copy of my DL, LTCH and contact info, and she is looking up records today.

I will report more as I receive it. Thanks to all of you who have provided ideas for future purchases.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sorry I haven't been able to get back to this thread for while, but I have an update. When I filed my appeal the form said that they would get back to me in 5 working days with a general reason for the denial. This wasn't reassuring news. But much to my surprise on Monday I received a letter from DOJ stating that my name had been associated with some douche nozzle in Burlington NJ who had a protective order filed against him in 1998. Just as an aside the farthest East I have ever been was Redding PA. But even more surprising to me was that they included the name and address of the police department involved. So after just a few calls I was able to contact a very nice lady in the records department (women are powerless to resist my charm, even over the telephone.) I faxed her the info that I received along with a copy of my DL, LTCH and contact info, and she is looking up records today.

I will report more as I receive it. Thanks to all of you who have provided ideas for future purchases.

Glad to hear you are getting movement toward fixing it. So many folks never come back and report findings on an issue.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But much to my surprise on Monday I received a letter from DOJ stating that my name had been associated with some douche nozzle in Burlington NJ who had a protective order filed against him in 1998.

Called it.

Well, I might have an answer for you as this just came up in the office. As part of the new "NICS Fix" that was pushed through recently, a lot of OLD denials are being uploaded into NICS that weren't in there before. As in 1970's old. It's possible someone with your name and DOB was denied 40 years ago, and your denial is based on that one....

Gee. the order was in 1998 and you're just NOW being denied. Shows how great the system is.

See above. A lot of records that weren't in the system are now being uploaded.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    Well, I might have an answer for you as this just came up in the office. As part of the new "NICS Fix" that was pushed through recently, a lot of OLD denials are being uploaded into NICS that weren't in there before. As in 1970's old. It's possible someone with your name and DOB was denied 40 years ago, and your denial is based on that one. A pilot from another state contacted us because he's denied for a car theft arrest in 1979. It's not him, it's a guy from a different state, but name and DOB match. He's got to contact the FBI with the info and show it's not him. The old files apparently didn't match by height/weight/ssn/eye color/etc. so the fact they have different SSN and eye color is irrelevant as far as the system is concerned.

Yup, Blue Eyes wins the prize. :yesway:

This just in. Burlington PD just e-mailed a letter signed by the Records Custodian saying that they couldn't find an incidence matching that protective order number. They suggest that I contact the county court. I left a voicemail with them. I'm hoping that a similar letter from the court should be enough evidence to satisfy DOJ.

Top Bottom