• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If expunged you don't have to reveal. That is the whole point. It will be there on a deep check, but on any form whether it be for a job or firearms related you can answer no.

In practice, it seems like some expungements are more expungey than others.

gamecrimez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Lafayette
    I can say that you can indeed get a LTCH in Indiana with an expunged criminal history, but it might depend on the crimes, I'm not sure. I had some minor class D felonys & I filled out all the proper paperwork & messed up & had to go in front of a judge who corrected it & sent to another judge who approved the it. I was told it could take months for everyone to update there computer systems, I paid & ran my name thru Indiana State Police 3 weeks later & only 1 showed, so I waited 6 months & ran again & was good nothing showed. So I did my online app (answered no to felony question) paid fees done finger printing, went to local PD paid & they approved, then I had to wait on ISP approval. All together from applying to getting approved it was 4 1/2 months. I wish the best of luck to you, but I would say maybe since you just had it expunged that there database isn't up to date yet & maybe give it more time, I think it was about 1 1/2 to 2 months before mine was gone from the system. I even sent an email to isp firearms about the length of time it was taking & the reply was they found a criminal history, I thought I wouldn't get approved due to what I was reading on the web but like someone else mentioned they do look at it as a true expungement but depends on the wording, minew was similar to yours with me being restored to proper person & all rights restored, but I must mention my crimes where all non violent & since they changed the laws would be considered misdemeanors if 1 where charged today. Again good luck!

gunnerdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    cedar lake
    Indiana felony expungement
    I had a class d felony distribution 20 years ago
    11/30/2013 had it expunged, applied for ltch and was denied even though I checked my background and found nothing
    apparently the atf wasn't recognizing expungements at the time
    firearms legislation is ever changing on a daily basis. my lawyer had my case reopened and did a "ams" alternative misdemeanor sentence which basically changed my class d felony to a class a misdemeanor.
    by this time the atf and Indiana state were on the same page and my court motion reply was to reapply for my ltch based on the new wording in the legislation and I should be approved..
    long story is 2 years 9 months and $4,000 later I was approved today and should have in the mail within a few days..anyone need info or my lawyer info feel free to pm me..

gunnerdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    cedar lake
    Ok so even though I just got my ltch on the 20th today i was denied firearms purchase at gander mountain
    So my lawyer says next step is to file nics denial appeal which I just did and should know something within 5 days

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    Ok so even though I just got my ltch on the 20th today i was denied firearms purchase at gander mountain
    So my lawyer says next step is to file nics denial appeal which I just did and should know something within 5 days
    You may get a reason for the denial in 5 days but the appeals process was halted in January by the current administration.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Congrats, I'm a little surprised that the "regular" INGO lawyers didn't show up in this thread? Thanks to Royal Coachman, for chiming in!

When it comes to specific advice for specific people in specific situations, some of us are loath to give advice unless we can meet face to face.

Plus, I don't do this work. If the OP gets accused of medical malpractice or is in jeopardy of getting his medical license taken away, I'm his man.

I'm glad he was able to get this resolved.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

Take all of your newly found expungement paperwork and apply for a UPIN from the FBI. You'l have to submit fingerprint cards and any documentation that justifies to them that you're a proper person.

Once you send the info to them, they should send you a UPIN that you'd use when making a firearms purchase from an FFL.

This process can be started before receiving any denial info from the FBI if you wanted to speed things up.

gunnerdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    cedar lake
    thanks for the info wasn't sure if I had or should wait to hear about the denial I was aware of the halt on processing denial appeals.
    my lawyer confirms this and is forwarding all necessary papers to the fbi/doj

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    When it comes to specific advice for specific people in specific situations, some of us are loath to give advice unless we can meet face to face.

Plus, I don't do this work. If the OP gets accused of medical malpractice or is in jeopardy of getting his medical license taken away, I'm his man.

I'm glad he was able to get this resolved.
    Trust me, I wasn't trying to disparage the regular law crowd, but, wondered why they didn't speak up, legally or not? I understand the technical side, was just thinking that some of you may have chimed in with an opinion, or whatever.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Uh......you were buying at Gander..........must be cash flush...:):

Top Bottom