• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I remember years ago stopping in at the local Gander Mountain up here in Ft. Wayne. In all transparency I like shopping there for outdoor stuff, but my story will explain why no firearms purchases.

I had gotten bit pretty hard by the C&R bug and was accumulating a lot of firearms. At the time you could get a good Lee Enfield No 1 Mk III for about $150 - $175 online or from other collectors. For around $200 - $250 a really nice one, and at $300 one in excellent condition. (Caveat: This does not include any very special collectables, just standard issue)

I was a bit surprised to see a standard issue Lee Enfield No 1 Mk III on display. I looked it over and after seeing the price tag I turned to a nearby clerk asking him, "Do you have the paperwork on this rifle?" He looked confused and responded with "paperwork for what?" I said, "For $800 ya'll should have paperwork that Montgomery himself carried this rifle, or at least shot it!" His response was a dull, confused look.

Now I don't blame the clerk, their pricing wasn't his fault. It did make me angry that some ignorant purchaser would probably shell out that ridiculous amount of money because he didn't know any better. But that one incident did drive home to me their pricing on a field of firearms that I was somewhat knowledgeable on. After seeing years of posts here I have learned to buy my outdoor stuff there and avoid firearms sales unless it is something I personally know to be a good deal.

Regards,

Doug

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Gander mountain and cabelas prey on the uninformed and or impatient buyer. Yes deals can be found there, but for the most part they are extremely overpriced on guns and ammo. Gander at least will match prices. Cabelas (near me) won't.

tractionroller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2016
    Indy
    Three weeks since I took my expungement to ISP and IMPD.No movement on the ltch.60 days is up on the 15th. The guys who said call Guy. He doesn't call back left several messages and no returned calls.

gunnerdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    cedar lake
    when my lawyer sent my expungement to isp it took exactly 90 days I did get my ltch but when I went to purchase a firearm I was still denied because the records didn't make it to the fbi yet. I filed nics denial response and got the reason for denial in 5 days we forwarded the expungement info to all the places needed. fbi, nics,iii,doj this all takes time, reguardless of all who say all the personel left to cover nics checks and no one is filing appeals , this is false. either way they get it when they get it. be patient...good luck

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    when my lawyer sent my expungement to isp it took exactly 90 days I did get my ltch but when I went to purchase a firearm I was still denied because the records didn't make it to the fbi yet. I filed nics denial response and got the reason for denial in 5 days we forwarded the expungement info to all the places needed. fbi, nics,iii,doj this all takes time, reguardless of all who say all the personel left to cover nics checks and no one is filing appeals , this is false. either way they get it when they get it. be patient...good luck
    that was me. Good to hear that you got it all sorted out!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So, can you, or did you pass the NICS on appeal?

tractionroller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2016
    Indy
    Went to local shop today and found a xd9 i wanted.Got delayed ,bummer but i was really thinking i would get denied.So there is hope.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Well got a denial today.Started the appeals process.Hopefuly this is the last part of this process its gettin pretty old.

if you submit fingerprints and copies of all your paperwork to the FBI via a Voluntary Appeal File, you'll get a UPIN and be able to skirt delays when purchasing. The PIN number will link the person conducting the check (from the FBI) to your documentation that you're a proper person and you'll get a proceed almost always. This is a much quicker way of getting your documents to the FBI than "sending them and waiting for them to update their records".

link to info for VAF: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/voluntary-appeal-file-video

link to VAF application: https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/vaf-form-25.pdf

This is the quickest and easiest way to get the FBI updated. I followed this procedure myself with no attorney and it was very quick and painless.

I hope this helps.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    if you submit fingerprints and copies of all your paperwork to the FBI via a Voluntary Appeal File, you'll get a UPIN and be able to skirt delays when purchasing. The PIN number will link the person conducting the check (from the FBI) to your documentation that you're a proper person and you'll get a proceed almost always. This is a much quicker way of getting your documents to the FBI than "sending them and waiting for them to update their records".

link to info for VAF: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/voluntary-appeal-file-video

link to VAF application: https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/vaf-form-25.pdf

This is the quickest and easiest way to get the FBI updated. I followed this procedure myself with no attorney and it was very quick and painless.

I hope this helps.

I'll ask again....

Is there some way to find out why one gets a delay?

Top Bottom