• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Dick's hasn't seriously sold firearms in a long time. Maybe they've carried "assault style" rifles in their "Field and Stream" stores, but I've never seen a Dick's "Field and Stream" store. I don't think I've ever seen an "assault style" rifles at my local Dick's, and they've never sold handguns as long as I can remember.

So, right there, they've decided to not carry particular firearms that account for about 55% of manufactured firearms in the U.S.

To top if off, the carbon-based life forms behind the counter don't know squat.

That tells me Dick's as only had token gun business aimed at Fuds for a long while.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sure are a lot of threads on Dick's on INGO today. I didn't know INGO liked to discuss Dick's so much.

On a side note, this is one more boycott I can't participate in because I didn't shop there to begin with.

Actual conversation with my wife this morning:
    Her (looking at news on her phone): Did you hear Dick's isn't selling certain rifles any more?
    Me: Yeah.
    Her: I didn't know they sold rifles.
    Her: Everything they sell is too expensive....the rifles were probably super expensive.
    Her: Are you drinking your coffee?

(I'm quite the conversationalist in the morning. I was so upset by this news I had to go to Long's Bakery for feel-better doughnuts. I'm now ok.)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ok, stupid question.....could they sell to anyone under 21 before? I thought you have to be 21 to buy from a FFL anyway.
    In Indiana you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from an FFL. The age for rifles is 18.
    Dicks doesnt sell handguns, so there wasnt anything that required them to wait till 21. Thats what annoyed me most about Dicks taking out Galyans. Galyans had great prices. I think I bought my Ruger P91 from them back in the day for $40 less than anyone else in town; including Bradis, who had the best LGS pricing at the time. I ran across two old school price tags searching for a missing magazine yesterday; Galyans and Shoe's Gun Rack. Brought back memories.

Dick's hasn't seriously sold firearms in a long time. Maybe they've carried "assault style" rifles in their "Field and Stream" stores, but I've never seen a Dick's "Field and Stream" store. I don't think I've ever seen an "assault style" rifles at my local Dick's, and they've never sold handguns as long as I can remember.

So, right there, they've decided to not carry particular firearms that account for about 55% of manufactured firearms in the U.S.

To top if off, the carbon-based life forms behind the counter don't know squat.

That tells me Dick's as only had token gun business aimed at Fuds for a long while.

I only bought one gun from them; a 10/22 that they were selling at a loss by all accounts. They had the same stupid policy that other big box stores have; no sale without an explicit "proceed" from NICS. They will not honor the 3 day wait part of the law. If you come back on the 4th or 5th day they will not release the gun to you without calling in another check, even though they are not legally obligated to. And if you get another delay? Restart the clock. I talked to the clerk about it as he perp walked me to the register. He had a guy that came back every week for a month and kept getting delayed. He never did get his gun.

Ive been to the F&S store on the north side of Columbus, OH. I was not impressed. As I recall it was just a Dicks without the sports and exercise equipment. Just shoes, clothes, guns, and camping stuff. And the gun dept wasnt that much bigger. They had a U shaped counter that was triple the size of a typical Dicks, and they sold handguns too. The rest of the dept was about the same size. But the store was about 1/3 of the size of a Dicks.

smasherofall

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    I bought my safe from them about 6 years ago, black Friday sale, and some 556 ammo on another black Friday sale years ago. I'm not gonna miss them.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Sure are a lot of threads on Dick's on INGO today. I didn't know INGO liked to discuss Dick's so much.

On a side note, this is one more boycott I can't participate in because I didn't shop there to begin with.

Actual conversation with my wife this morning:
    Her (looking at news on her phone): Did you hear Dick's isn't selling certain rifles any more?
    Her: I didn't know they sold rifles.
    Her: Everything they sell is too expensive....the rifles were probably super expensive.
    Her: Are you drinking your coffee?

(I'm quite the conversationalist in the morning. I was so upset by this news I had to go to Long's Bakery for feel-better doughnuts. I'm now ok.)

Whew, that was a close one.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Had this ridiculous discussion about assault weapons the other day with a friend of a friend / acquaintance. He was voicing his "expert" opinion about how banning assault weapons would be reasonable and would not conflict with the constitution. I asked him to define an assault weapon. He was a little taken aback, and replied that it would be any weapon used to commit an assault. I told him that based on his criteria, cars should be banned and he should be prepared to start walking, not to mention kitchen knives, axes, baseball bats, and firewood. He changed the subject at that point.

Dick's has been off my list for since their last grandstand marketing ploy.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    As a former PR guy, I really don't understand saying things like, "we don't want to be part of this conversation" and then releasing an incredibly public and highly visible statement and changing business practices.

This is not just inserting the company into the conversation, but diving in head first.

dhunt4work

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Spoke with customer service to inform them I wouldn't patronize their store any longer based on their decision. Customer service gal said "Thanks for wasting your time" . I said excuse me and she repeated it. No dollars for Dicks.

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    I've never been in one of their stores and it would probably be akin to pushing a rope to inform their CEO that assault is a behavior, not a device. I would like to see the stats on how many people have been physically assaulted by baseball bats and golf clubs purchased from Dick's compared to people assaulted by rifles purchased from Dick's.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Did anyone see this in the CEO's letter? Thought it was interesting. It was on the WTHR website

[FONT=&amp]Following all of the rules and laws, we sold a shotgun to the Parkland shooter in November of 2017. It was not the gun, nor type of gun, he used in the shooting. But it could have been.

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Spoke with customer service to inform them I wouldn't patronize their store any longer based on their decision. Customer service gal said "Thanks for wasting your time" . I said excuse me and she repeated it. No dollars for Dicks.

Why not be rude? Whats she gonna do? Cause you to not be a customer any more? Too late.

I bet she is just tired of it and has no more :poop:s to give.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Another reason for us to vote with our wallets again. I was not impressed with Dick's before, and will not patronize their business in the future.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    They suck! The nearest Dicks to me is in Bloomington, when they first opened I went to the gun counter and noticed no pistols. Asked the dork behind the counter about it and he stated, "We're no going to carry handguns b/c we're in a college town." Libtards!!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They suck! The nearest Dicks to me is in Bloomington, when they first opened I went to the gun counter and noticed no pistols. Asked the dork behind the counter about it and he stated, "We're no going to carry handguns b/c we're in a college town." Libtards!!

He's an idiot that doesnt know company policy. NO Dicks stores to my knowledge sell handguns. Seems to be corporate policy.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are we learning from this? Maybe this time?

How many of "us" have supported Dicks with their dollars for the past five years?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Are we learning from this? Maybe this time?

How many of "us" have supported Dicks with their dollars for the past five years?

I bought a Leupold scope from the Greenwood store a little over 5 yrs ago and last year I looked at a Remington 783 to buy but they wouldn't take the lock out of the trigger so I could check out the action. The Leupold is the last thing I've bought from them.

Top Bottom