Dicks to stop selling all guns at 125 stores.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I haven’t shopped there in a couple years and that’s even with the whole booklet full of $10 off coupons on the back of my Indy fuel hockey tickets.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    We are loooooong past the point where I would ever consider purchasing a firearm from Dicks.

IcemanIND

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 29, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I boycotted them awhile ago, so this news doesnt change my shopping behavior Unfortunately, I believe this move will not significantly effect their sales. Most people will continue to support these unAmerican companies. And as time passes the MSM. political, and industry leaders will wrap public opinion to the point where repealing the 2A is feasible (as well as the 1st).

Like a frog in a pot of water being slowly heated, our rights will be taken away with no opportunity to resist. Those few that do will easily be identified. apprehended, and tried as terrorists.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I fear since Dicks is discontinuing their gun sales that their fishing customers will diminish as well.
    There's not many decent fishing/bait shops left either. I don't consider WalMart in sporting goods in any way, shape, or form.
    IF I want groceries I go to WalMart. IF I want clothing I go to Krogers.... WTF? JK, but Krogers has upped the bar in simulating Sams.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Wandered through the dicks in the Fishers mall just to kill time/look. After pushing aside all the clothing display racks they put in the foyer/entrance area to get in (one of those "maybe someone will find something they want to buy if they have to push through it" moves) there were about 4 people in the place.

Gotta love the current american business model... who cares about the actual company's performance and profit as long as the shares are worth enough to keep the execs/biggest shareholders in their mansions.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My mother gave me a gift card to Dick's some time back. After their last anti-gun move, I think it was after the Las Vegas shooting, I went to Dick's, used the gift card, and have not returned since, and don't plan to return again.

I suspect that their decision to drop guns may have a lot to do with the fact that people who buy guns quit shopping there, so they're not selling any guns anymore. Maybe they could sell books instead, perhaps "How to Cut Your Own Throat in the Retail World".

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Never been in one of their stores!:rockwoot: I'd love to see an Academy in closer proximity though.

https://www.academy.com/

I'd like to see a Scheels open in Indiana. Although based on a similar model to what Dick's used to be(all sports) the firearms and outdoor sporting departments were far superior. Regular prices on firearms were decent and sales were incredible at the one I visited several times in Lincoln, NE.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Fox 59 news said this morning that Dick's claims that in the stores where they have already removed firearms, they are making up for it with sales of their remaining sporting goods. ???

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Fox 59 news said this morning that Dick's claims that in the stores where they have already removed firearms, they are making up for it with sales of their remaining sporting goods. ???

Sounds right. If they aren't selling guns, probably also not selling ammo, decoys, camo clothing, etc.
    They remove a department that is dead weight and replace it with expanded shoes, exercise equipment, tennis, etc that have a profit.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    AVON
    Haven't shopped at Dick's in years, since the ar-15 fiasco. I didn't like them when they bought out Galyans years ago. Now that was a hunting/fishing store. Guess they will get what they ask for :cool:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Never been in one of their stores!:rockwoot: I'd love to see an Academy in closer proximity though.

https://www.academy.com/

I've been to a couple of Academy stores. Fishing section was pretty good. I'd like to see one come closer to Indy area as well.

I'd like to see a Scheels open in Indiana. Although based on a similar model to what Dick's used to be(all sports) the firearms and outdoor sporting departments were far superior. Regular prices on firearms were decent and sales were incredible at the one I visited several times in Lincoln, NE.

I went to a Scheel's in Fargo, ND. They were doing a lot of overhaul to the store but looked like it had some potential.

For the most part, these big retail stores with lots of overhead will go the way of the dodo bird. Bass Pro/Cabelas seems to continue to make it due to the crazy amount of vertical and horizontal integration and control they have regarding the products the sell and the markets they sell it in, but I expect most others will make way for online competitors or they will need to figure out online themselves.

Top Bottom