Didnt get your eclipse glasses? Cereal box to the rescue!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I can see it!!!!

00SLSP.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have the welding helmet out. It's working really good. I have tried to take some pictures. But those aren't working out so well. It's pretty cloudy but there has been enough of a break between them to see a lot. Be safe if you are out looking at this.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I ordered my binoculars with filters for viewing the sun from amazon prime on 08/12/2017. They didn't come and I didn't get an email notice.

Over the weekend checked the amazon account . . . showed a delivery date of TUESDAY.

I cancelled them. I'm irritated. What happened to the 2 days? They were in stock when I ordered.

I tired the pinhole viewer in the past and it wasn't that interesting.

I'll have to be better prepared for 2024.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    How do you know it won't be the bestever? Have you seen all of them? Only one person here has been around long enough to see them all and the mouse hasn't spoken to it's awesomeness yet.

CM was around since before any light, so this isn't much to him.

Overheard in my office just now.

Person A: "I've got extra glasses, do you want to watch the eclipse?"

Person B: "Oh, no, I'll just watch it online."

****in' millennials.

Is it wrong that I really couldn't care less about this myself, and I'm not even close to being a millennial. It gets dark everyday.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I decided to put together a pinhole viewing box just now. As I was doing it, a thunderstorm rolled into Crawfordsville. It's dark now because of the clouds. No way I'm seeing any of the freakin' eclipse.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    whole family is standing outside with various welding hoods on pretty cool stuff. Also took a couple spare lenses to a gas station i frequent since the staff were wanting to see it. I will say shade 10 wasn't enough for me i had to bump it up to 13 which surprised me since i usually leave my hood set at 9 or 10 for all my welding.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I decided to put together a pinhole viewing box just now. As I was doing it, a thunderstorm rolled into Crawfordsville. It's dark now because of the clouds. No way I'm seeing any of the freakin' eclipse.

I had made a viewing box this morning, and it seemed to work well, with the nice circular sun spot in the back of the box.

I got busy with work and didn't get back out until a few minutes ago, but with a dark cloud covering the sun, I couldn't find the spot in my viewer. Then the cloud passed, and there it was..................................the same damn circular sun spot, only slightly less bright.

What a gyp.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    My wife is wearing my older welding mask.She looks like a diver from Seahunt.I am getting my auto helmet to work by holding in the test button.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Really? Our pinhole works great. Foil over a hole in cereal box and a hole next to foil to look in.

0XTI6m

OK, there's my problem. I used a Fedex box. :):

Maybe my hole was too large (about a sixteenth of an inch) I'm gonna put a pinhole in it and see if that's better.

EDIT: Must have been the clouds, because I added the pinhole and now I can see both sun spots, one bigger, one smaller, and now they both look like yours. Wow, pretty cool.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We used a tiny injection needle through foil.

need a small hole so all light going through is straight, cuts down on the angle and refracted light that loses crisp look.

still have an hour left

Top Bottom