Didnt get your eclipse glasses? Cereal box to the rescue!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Clouds killed the peak for me. But I did get to see a lot leading up to it. Pretty cool. Your box works great doc. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

It's not as dark outside as I thought it would get.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    297.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got to see the crescent shaped leaf shadows. Took a few pics of the sun (digital camera with external screen) but it was still too bright to really see anything. I didn't want to push my luck and mess up the camera sensors either.

Also did the pinhole camera thing, but with just a piece of cardboard and a pad of white notebook paper to project it on.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Clouds killed the peak for me. But I did get to see a lot leading up to it. Pretty cool. Your box works great doc. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

It's not as dark outside as I thought it would get.

I think it was because we just had the 90% coverage...I was looking at the pictures in Nashville, TN. and all the lights are lit up. It almost looked dark there. I got tired of the box and ended up putting 5 pairs of sunglasses on and took the chance of looking at it thru the clouds.......very neat, I sure hope I can still see in 2024.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We bought ours from Amazon a few months ago... got a message from them last week saying to throw them away and they refunded the money. Was able to snag a few pair at the last minute. We'll be traveling down to KY to see the totality.

If I had a kid in a school I'd pull them out and take them with us. Some things are more important than sitting at a desk all day long.

My kids school system had to cancel the eclipse watch due to the same thing, although they didn't get notified until about 11:00 this morning. They let parents pick up their kids early ans it didn't go against their attendance.

So we picked them up and have been watching it since about 2:15.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I was quite dissapointed in how dark it got. While it never got dark, the dusk to dawn lights all kicked in at work and it felt like standing in the shade.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I watched the NASA live feed from Hopkinsville, KY. Very cool to see and I was in the air conditioning the whole time!

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I had 4 welding hoods. My late model Speedglass had far and away the worst optics. The 20 year old Jackson Auto darkening was a little better. The fixed shade hoods which are at least 30 years old had much better optics. Shade 10 seemed to be the best, it was very cloudy here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had 4 welding hoods. My late model Speedglass had far and away the worst optics. The 20 year old Jackson Auto darkening was a little better. The fixed shade hoods which are at least 30 years old had much better optics. Shade 10 seemed to be the best, it was very cloudy here.

I have fixed shade #10 glass in both my hoods. I never trusted the Auto shades. Guess I am just :fogey: school

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Didm't have my gladdes or anythinh and I quatched it.
    I don't zee what thw provlem is lookung direftly at the sum.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Dumnno where it came from but the bright spot under my eye shows the actual sun/moon phase.

Had to look twice to see that, pretty cool.

Didm't have my gladdes or anythinh and I quatched it.
    I don't zee what thw provlem is lookung direftly at the sum.

I think my retinas are good, but now I have a headache from keeping one eye closed, looking through that hole in my viewer box.

Top Bottom