• ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    You have no way of knowing if the owner left it there or if it was stolen. Someone may have grabbed it after seeing it tagged at the DNR location thinking no one would care? I would call the police and let them sort it out. I feel that if it was the owner they would have left a note or attempted contact.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I wouldn't tow it immediately.

Question for you tho, if it is on private property why can't you just have it towed and not involve IMPD?

Dunno about Indiana, but Texas law (Hi Kirk!) in order to just call the tow company immediately you have to have your parking lot posted against unauthorized parking with a big sign also having the number the illegal parker can call to find out where his vehicle went. Which means you need to already have a contract with a local towing company and have the sign in place before the illegal parking occurs. Otherwise you have find the owner of the vehicle thru the DMV, then send a letter and give them 30 (I think) days to do something about it before you can tow. If you just tow it you can end up on the wrong end of a theft charge. I suspect Indiana law is not much different, altho I suspect the time frames are shorter. Texas seems to drag things out.

Best to let the local cops handle it. Call them the sooner the better, a person with a righteous break down would make some attempt to contact the church, or at least leave a note.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yup. Always leave a note.

I'd recommend calling IMPD ASAP.

[video=youtube;IJw2lFWJ4aY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJw2lFWJ4aY[/video]

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had to get one and an occupant off of my land, the police and a tow threat worked very quickly.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    is it possible the owner simply lost this one and left his other 99 campers to go retrieve it? now he's herding those back through to pick this one up?

is the missing wheel symbolizing that you are to run out and joyously put a ring on it? and lay a tarp around it to protect it from the elements and broken doors/windows?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    is it possible the owner simply lost this one and left his other 99 campers to go retrieve it? now he's herding those back through to pick this one up?

is the missing wheel symbolizing that you are to run out and joyously put a ring on it? and lay a tarp around it to protect it from the elements and broken doors/windows?

This calls for a classic: YOMANK!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Dunno about Indiana, but Texas law (Hi Kirk!) in order to just call the tow company immediately you have to have your parking lot posted against unauthorized parking with a big sign also having the number the illegal parker can call to find out where his vehicle went. Which means you need to already have a contract with a local towing company and have the sign in place before the illegal parking occurs. Otherwise you have find the owner of the vehicle thru the DMV, then send a letter and give them 30 (I think) days to do something about it before you can tow. If you just tow it you can end up on the wrong end of a theft charge. I suspect Indiana law is not much different, altho I suspect the time frames are shorter. Texas seems to drag things out.

Best to let the local cops handle it. Call them the sooner the better, a person with a righteous break down would make some attempt to contact the church, or at least leave a note.

Being a church might make it more of a business then residential property I guess. Years ago I had a deadbeat tenant who left a truck on my property. They trashed the place and I was not happy. I called a tow company, explained what was happening, and they were more than happy to pick the vehicle up and put it in a fenced lot.

Once I got to the damages hearing where the ex-tenant hired a lawyer, she complained that I had it towed. The lawyer asked why I did that. I said because I knew I couldn't keep it and it was illegally on my property. Turns out they were letting it go back to where they were buying it, so they had the tow and storage added onto that claim as well.

I figured that even a business had the right to tow, but I do remember something about Kirk's parking area and the signs and litter from a while back.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Long story short, people suck.

impd came out. Not stolen. Officer was able to contact the registered owner. Claims it was sold years ago and never re registered with the state. I was advised it’s ours now and we can do what we want with it. He cant tow if it’s not stolen. :xmad:

anyonr want a free trailer? Just needs two axles and wheels. Lol. Just gotta go through with getting a new title.

so now we have to call and have it towed on our dime. On a flatbed. This isn’t gonna be cheap.

my gut says he never sold it and is disavowing any ownership because he doesn’t want the thing.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    does he own a harley?

how about getting a low roll off dumpster, taking a saw through the sides and pulling the whole camper into dumpster. then you are setup for an awesome float platform

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Maybe you could spray paint Trump 2020 all over it. I'm sure some friendly BLM or Antifa supporters will take care of it for you

Seriously though maybe a free ad on craigslist? Might get a scrapper interested in it. Or maybe even someone wanting a project.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes, people suck.

Can't even scrap it w/o a title.

Nice to know a cop can just transfer property to a new owner on the spot.

In the interest of brevity, I skipped the part about "going through the hassle at the DMV of getting the title work done to make it 'ours'" (or whoever wants to own it since the registered owner doesnt want to claim it now)

Wish I had asked the cop "does he have a red GMC Jimmy SUV registered to him too? If so, he is lying about selling it and he is the one who dropped it there". But I didnt think about that until I got home.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's on private property. IMPD has no authority to tow from private property unless it's reported stolen. It's up to the property owner to call a tow service and have it removed.

Top Bottom