• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    sounds like you had a bad experience with an employee, it has nothing to do with the corporation, nor did the malfunction from the weapon, I would be upset too, but its not rural king's fault

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've never felt the same about Rural King ever since someone here said that they saw a dog peeing on the lower candy shelf at the checkout.

At first I figured "I'll be fine so long as I only buy food that's higher than about knee-high" But then I remembered my days working retail where we often rotated stock onto different shelves......

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Rural king has some great prices on Carhartt stuff in the spring, that being said, I hate shopping there simply because it means I have to drive through Jeffersonville, otherwise known as the city with a stoplight every 100 feet.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My wife worked for RK for a while (gun counter and then the "head" of 2 departments) and I heard enough of how they run things to avoid ever going there again. Talk about a poorly run business. I'm frankly amazed they manage to stay open or keep any employees.

I think, at least to me, it was how uncaring everyone seemed. To be honest I think it was extremely poor customer service that he was treated the way he was (except by the first call which seemed very reasonable). I mean, if you're taking your time to inform a company that they're selling something that is defective, you would at least expect being told something like "Thanks for letting us know, we'll get with the manufacturer to make sure this is taken care of". Even if they didn't plan to do anything about it, that response would not have cost them anything and would have kept the OP a loyal customer (most likely). The way he was treated, he's not only not going to be a customer any longer, but now he's advocating against the store. Not the brightest move the company could have made, even if they didn't care or thought he was overreacting. Again, another amazingly stupid thing done by an amazingly stupid company.

I'd agree... if things went down as the OP reported, it's not hard for the representatives of the company to show some empathy and it goes a long way. I don't think it is too out there to expect that a dealer who has likely been notified of a recall (depending on whether they purchase from a distributor or direct) actually make sure they pull product from shelves/only sell what they know has been corrected. Sounds like RK doesn't do that. Also, pretty interesting that their "legal" rep pretty much said they were selling an inherently dangerous product. I would have expected more double talk from the RK legal rep.

That said, I was done with RK in regards to guns, when I purchased my first M&P 2.0 Compact from their website and was not allowed to handle or inspect the gun before the transfer, in their own store etc. I've never encountered that before and in fact, evey transfer I have done at other FFLs, I have been encouraged to inspect the gun, before the transfer in case there were issues. There's just no benefit to buying at RK over buying from another online source, or if prices are comparable at your LGS.

If you want service after the sale - buy from a local gun store.

If price is King (see what I did?) - then you might prefer a big box retailer but don't expect personalized service.

If one did "slip through the cracks", it would have been nice had they offered to exchange for a proper in stock item BUT at this point, I might rather have the firearm factory serviced.

The real lesson is here? DO NOT purchase a gun without an immediate trip to the firing line!

Agreed, and if price is king, and you can't truly inspect the firearm anyway due to in store policies, just purchase it online. Also, I'd rather be dealing with the manufacturer at this point than involving the middle man (RK) in the return. This way there is one throat to choke if it doesn't get there, gets lost, etc.

As someone else posted, would be good to know what the OP purchased.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    211ef04fd62b4a08842438df94b5948c.gif

:welcome:

NOT the finger of "Sincerity"!!???:ugh:

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I've more or less stopped buying from them, simply because I don't find their prices to be that great any more. The only time they had decent deals were when they had a cash back rebate going on, which is no longer offered by Rural King.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    If you want service after the sale - buy from a local gun store.

If price is King (see what I did?) - then you might prefer a big box retailer but don't expect personalized service.

If one did "slip through the cracks", it would have been nice had they offered to exchange for a proper in stock item BUT at this point, I might rather have the firearm factory serviced.

The real lesson is here? DO NOT purchase a gun without an immediate trip to the firing line!

I have purchased firearms from RK and from several GS's. I accept RK for what it is - a fairly large chain store selling at fairly low prices- and I sure don't expect much in the way of knowledge or farther service. That said my worst experience was from a local GS! My son
    purchased a 1911 style 45acp from the store. It was an unknown brand and he paid more than enough to purchase a RI, Ruger etc.
    The was over 20 years ago.

The first time he fired the gun it went full auto, then parts actually flew off the gun! He took it back (same week) and they said they
    would send it back to the manufacturer and take care of it for him. Then said it should be ok in a couple of weeks.

About a month later with no information from the GS, I decided to call the manufacturer myself. During my research, I found the
    telephone number had been disconnected! I ended up speaking to a telephone operator in the western state the manufacturer resided in to see if I could get a valid number. She said I shouldn't be saying anything but I know they have went out of business and are bankrupt..

So I take my son to the GS and we had a talk. At first they didn't agree and wanted to wait for information! I told them I knew the
    company was out of business, and my son needed his money back period. Two local police officers owned and ran the business, and I was talking to one of them. This was on a Tuesday, and I told him "I will wait until Friday, but unless my son has his money back then, I will
    file a claim in small claims court. Obviously this would look bad on the police, so we finally received a check on Friday about 6~7 weeks
    after the gun was returned..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have purchased firearms from RK and from several GS's. I accept RK for what it is - a fairly large chain store selling at fairly low prices- and I sure don't expect much in the way of knowledge or farther service. That said my worst experience was from a local GS! My son
    purchased a 1911 style 45acp from the store. It was an unknown brand and he paid more than enough to purchase a RI, Ruger etc.
    The was over 20 years ago.

The first time he fired the gun it went full auto, then parts actually flew off the gun! He took it back (same week) and they said they
    would send it back to the manufacturer and take care of it for him. Then said it should be ok in a couple of weeks.

About a month later with no information from the GS, I decided to call the manufacturer myself. During my research, I found the
    telephone number had been disconnected! I ended up speaking to a telephone operator in the western state the manufacturer resided in to see if I could get a valid number. She said I shouldn't be saying anything but I know they have went out of business and are bankrupt..

So I take my son to the GS and we had a talk. At first they didn't agree and wanted to wait for information! I told them I knew the
    company was out of business, and my son needed his money back period. Two local police officers owned and ran the business, and I was talking to one of them. This was on a Tuesday, and I told him "I will wait until Friday, but unless my son has his money back then, I will
    file a claim in small claims court. Obviously this would look bad on the police, so we finally received a check on Friday about 6~7 weeks
    after the gun was returned..

I know this is a bit cold but again........watch what you buy in the off brands. Especially a 1911. This is what gives the platform a bad name. Save your money. Buy a decent piece.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Anyone ever hear of "Getting what you pay for" ???????
    The cheaper you go the better the odds of your dice turning up "snake eyes"
    Spending more doesn't assure you getting more for your money but spend your money wisely for quality merchandise and simplify life and keep your blood pressure in check.

CKW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Anyone ever hear of "Getting what you pay for" ???????
    The cheaper you go the better the odds of your dice turning up "snake eyes"
    Spending more doesn't assure you getting more for your money but spend your money wisely for quality merchandise and simplify life and keep your blood pressure in check.

I have never seen a cheap gun come in our house. Never. Maybe one. And it did not stay long.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have some cheap guns, I have some inexpensive and I have some expensive guns.

With a couple exceptions, I use and enjoy the middle of road ones the most.

Of course, cost is relative to your financial position.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm one who takes darned near everything he reads on a forum with a grain of salt. Particularly if I don't personally know the author and the only apparent reason for the post is to complain about a retail experience. Never bought a gun at RK but shop there for other items on a regular basis. I'm not about to stop because somebody else had, or created, a bad experience. I dealt with the public long enough to know better.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Don't need good customer service for cheap ammo. Walk in grab it pay and walk out. Everything else, lgs for sure. Nothing like bsing with your buddy behind the counter and supporting a family owned business. I'd rather help a dad afford dance class for his little girl over helping some ceo buy his 3rd vacation house.

Top Bottom