Do you believe in other life in the Universe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Test tube?!

That sounds like a very naturalist/deist view. Biblical theology would lead us to believe we are more important to the creator than the product of one of many laboratory tests. Would a scientist send his own son to die to lab sample in test tube #12F alive?

Well, that's sort of a sticking point for many of us non-believers: If one's "spiritual" life is eternal, what is the "sacrifice" in death? Eternal (spiritual) life turns death into just another signpost on the road of life. Much like kidney stones or childbirth, whatever trauma is experienced will ultimately become fleeting and temporary.

Why shouldn't God send his son to Earth to die...over and over again, if necessary? Corporeal death would be absolutely meaningless to an eternal spiritual creature.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    As has already been stated, I don't think you can be dogmatic about it, but I certainly lean toward the belief that we are alone. I read an account once of a man who investigated approximately 1,000 accounts of supposed alien encounters of the 3rd and 4th kind. If memory serves, almost every one of these people claiming close contact or abduction by aliens had been involved in occultic activity prior to the event (or someone close to them was dabbling in the occult). I recognize I am likely in the vast minority, but I am convinced that people really are seeing "something" in the skies, but they are not spacemen. I believe that they are demonic manifestations mimicking the socially accepted and widely recognized UFO phenomenon. It seems to me that the UFO idea is yet another lane on the "broad road" Christ referred to in Scripture (Matt. 7:13), along with so many others.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Well, that's sort of a sticking point for many of us non-believers: If one's "spiritual" life is eternal, what is the "sacrifice" in death? Eternal (spiritual) life turns death into just another signpost on the road of life. Much like kidney stones or childbirth, whatever trauma is experienced will ultimately become fleeting and temporary.

Why shouldn't God send his son to Earth to die...over and over again, if necessary? Corporeal death would be absolutely meaningless to an eternal spiritual creature.

I'm gonna move this over to the "Christianity" thread if that's cool with you

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It was inevitable that this thread would get into a religious debate.
    The questioned posed by the OP has religious ramifications and would be a sticking point for those among us that are believers. Those of deep faith.

In that lets not quibble.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    It would be an utter waste of real estate if we were all there was. This is the Hubble Xtreme Deep Field image. Everything you see here is a galaxy, about 10,000 of them, 200 BILLION stars each on average. And this is a very tiny sliver of sky, equivalent to looking through a straw held at arms length. As of last fall the Hubble sky surveys indicate two TRILLION galaxies in the visible universe. There can't not be other life out there. Mathematically impossible.

1024px-Hubble_ultra_deep_field_high_rez_edit1.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I won't pretend to know all of God's design. I do think God put us in charge of it all, though. And if we find some protozoan life form a few trillion mikes from here, we should take care not to mess it up like we have some of the life here.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I won't pretend to know all of God's design. I do think God put us in charge of it all, though. And if we find some protozoan life form a few trillion mikes from here, we should take care not to mess it up like we have some of the life here.

The irony of course being that thousands of light years from here a far more advanced civilization is looking at us telling themselves the exact same thing...

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    https://answersingenesis.org/media/audio/answers-with-ken-ham/volume-123/do-aliens-exist/

Each year, millions of dollars are spent on the search for alien life. And so far they haven’t found anything. But evolutionists like Bill Nye are convinced it will turn up eventually. Why? Because if life evolved here, it has to have evolved elsewhere.

But starting with God’s Word, we don’t expect intelligent alien life to exist. Here is one problem with the idea: all of creation is cursed because of sin. That includes supposed alien life. Jesus came as a man to save mankind from sin, but aliens are not descendants of Adam. A just God wouldn’t create intelligent beings that would suffer from man’s sin but have no hope of salvation.

No, there are no aliens!

I'm glad that's not the philosophy most take. If alien life were discovered then I take it answers in genesis would concede that Gods word is incorrect?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The irony of course being that thousands of light years from here a far more advanced civilization is looking at us telling themselves the exact same thing...

Why must this talk of other life forms always assume that they are more advanced? Perhaps the most advanced life forms on this other planet, if these unobserved life forms exist, are lizards or some heretofore un-named kingdom of creature.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

There in lies the problem

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Why must this talk of other life forms always assume that they are more advanced? Perhaps the most advanced life forms on this other planet, if these unobserved life forms exist, are lizards or some heretofore un-named kingdom of creature.

Or they've come, lived, advanced beyond our wildest dreams, and went extinct... many times over.

Those two videos I posted earlier touch on this. Many generations and eons and lives may have already been lived long before we were ever a blip on the radar.

Because when you look at the timeline of the age of the universe... humanity isn't even a sliver on it.

To think there has never been other life is, as I said before, silly.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Or they've come, lived, advanced beyond our wildest dreams, and went extinct... many times over.

Those two videos I posted earlier touch on this. Many generations and eons and lives may have already been lived long before we were ever a blip on the radar.

I watched the first one. The whole thing seemed pretty disjointed. But that may have been a problem with the video, and not the theory.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    I have told the wife that if humans are the most advanced species, I feel really sorry for the rest of them. I personally feel the universe is too vast to not have life somewhere else. I am also too much of a simpleton to know where or what that would be. Just like the meth heads, as long as they stay out of my house, I dont much care about them.

Top Bottom