Do you carry an extra magazine (or speedloader for revolver)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry an extra magazine or rounds with you?

• Total voters

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    In the winter I carry a full sized CZ 75B with 19+1 and an extra 19 round magazine. I wouldn't matter if my gun used "30 magazine clips" I would still carry two because magazine malfunctions happen.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Poll is invalid. No Bacon. :bacondance:

I do not carry an extra mag. I have bigger problems if I can't get the job done in 8 shots. I'm sure I'll catch flack for that statement, so *Flame suit on*

No flames here. We all choose what level we're going to be comfortable with. I'll only offer this: magazines DO malfunction. Unless you're carrying an 8 shot wheel gun...

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    You can't have too much ammo unless you're trying to swim.

No one can predict how many rounds it will take to solve a problem that requires shooting. It could be zero, one, two, three ... or many. I'd rather take the extra home with me than have the chalk outline around my large body with the slide locked to the rear.

Another perhaps more important reason for carrying spare mags is that the magazine is the weak link in the system. If you have one fail and induce a malfunction, having at least one spare to get you back into the fight quickly can be beneficial.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Tried, but couldn't. :yesway:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Poll is invalid. No Bacon. :bacondance:

I do not carry an extra mag. I have bigger problems if I can't get the job done in 8 shots. I'm sure I'll catch flack for that statement, so *Flame suit on*

See BehindBlueI's...

...or are on fire.

I always carry a spare. Will I ever need it? Probably not, but its psychologically satisfying to me, and there's no down side. Unless I'm swimming or on fire.

Its also not just about increased round count. A lot of failures with semi-autos aren't the gun, they are the magazine. While I understand we aren't in harsh conditions here, I experienced first hand the crap M9 magazines that once they got the slightest bit of sand in them wouldn't feed after the first few rounds.

Not only do I carry a spare magazine, I carry a spare gun...with a spare reload for it. Again, probably never need it, but there's no downside. Unless you're swimming. Or on fire.

No flames here. We all choose what level we're going to be comfortable with. I'll only offer this: magazines DO malfunction. Unless you're carrying an 8 shot wheel gun...

Magazines are the most likely point of failure, and easily changed.
    No one that I know of ever came out of a gun fight and said, "Wow, I had too much ammo. I'm going to start carrying less".

And wheel guns, they do fail.
    I've seen primers pushed back preventing the wheel from turning.
    I've seen S&W locks engage on their own.
    I've seen trigger mechanisms fail.

This video can work for magazine round count limit, or # of mags.
    [video=youtube;7F1nPSNnaBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F1nPSNnaBo[/video]

And finally.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...1277-why-one-cop-carries-145-rounds-ammo.html

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh, and I carry either a BUG, or a reload, or both.

If I'm carrying my S&W model 19, with the model 60 as a BUG, then the .357 speed strips will work for both.
    Otherwise, it's a M&P with model 60.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    I carry a Ruger lc-9 or my Astra a-75 ,and because each clip only holds 7 rounds I would be a fool to not have extra clips ready to go.I always have 2 extra on stand by .

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes 99% of the time if I carry I have a spare mag or a speed strip. Only exception might be if I am driving my personal truck (I have a take home company vehicle) and I have to stop on the way home at the store. In that case I might not suit up with an off side mag holder.

I carry a full 14 rounds in my Glock 23. I do download the spare mag to 12 rounds. Two reasons, 1) the mag with 13 rounds is hard to seat and 2) it gives me a place to put my plus one in the rare event that I have to unload the gun.

Going to switch to full time 1911 carry once the snow melts and I can test the equipment. I plan to carry 1 extra mag. So 7+1 in gun and 7 in spare mag.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm also one of "those" guys that carries while relaxing around the house, and yep, even then, I have a spare mag on me. I think, from the posts here, some people STILL think it's all about round count. Sure, I'd like to always have as many rounds on me as I can comfortably carry, but that ain't why I carry spares. It's just too simple of a task to NOT do.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I carry a M&P 45c, benchmade Stryker, and compact baton. No extra mag on me but I have a full size mag and extra ammo in each vehicle.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Are you moving somewhere that nothing ever happens? Sheesh you might as well not carry at all.:D

I might end up dead but I am darn sure going to look good doing it. Right now I switch between a full size 1911 OWB and Glock IWB for when I need to be more discreet. No more now that I invested in a smaller 1911.

Edit: maybe I should get one of those junk carry rigs for the glock?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I carry an extra mag because of all the stories I have read on INGO where after the JBT takes your gun, he then removes all the bullets from the magazine before it is returned. I am just to lazy to sit along the roadside reloading a magazine.

Top Bottom