Do you carry an extra magazine (or speedloader for revolver)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry an extra magazine or rounds with you?

• Total voters

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Right now the answer would be sometimes. I carry a backup 17 rd mag if I'm out with the family, like at the mall, movies or something. I also have two 6rd speed loaders when it's a wheel gun day.Do I carry one every day, just me rolling around town? Usually not. But I do always have a few mags for my EdC stashed in the get home bag if I need one them.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Thanks for the responses. I think I was basically wanting to justify the use of carrying an extra magazine for myself.

I'm in the process of swapping my carry piece from my 4566 (8+1) to a smaller, lighter, lower caliber and lower capacity Kahr (6+1). I'm beginning to carry the Kahr now, and I just got 3 extra factory magazines in the mail today. (Two of the 7 rounders, one extra 6 rounder).

I guess I'll keep a 7 rounder in my coat pocket. I don't have a mag pouch or anything so for now I'll just keep an extra magazine in my coat.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    I do carry an extra mag. I look at as less about not having enough ammo (however that does come into play with a CM9), but also about Murphy's law coming into play at the worst time possible.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I voted yes. I always carry 2 extra mags with a semi-auto (mostly), and usually 2 speed loaders when I carry a revolver (rarely).

2ahbdsl.jpg

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Yep. 7+1= 8(<<shhh I keep one in the chamber) in the gun & the extra mag has 9.
    And honestly the other 7rd should be on me too.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You can't have too much ammo unless you're trying to swim.

...or are on fire.

I always carry a spare. Will I ever need it? Probably not, but its psychologically satisfying to me, and there's no down side. Unless I'm swimming or on fire.

Its also not just about increased round count. A lot of failures with semi-autos aren't the gun, they are the magazine. While I understand we aren't in harsh conditions here, I experienced first hand the crap M9 magazines that once they got the slightest bit of sand in them wouldn't feed after the first few rounds.

Not only do I carry a spare magazine, I carry a spare gun...with a spare reload for it. Again, probably never need it, but there's no downside. Unless you're swimming. Or on fire.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Poll is invalid. No Bacon. :bacondance:

I do not carry an extra mag. I have bigger problems if I can't get the job done in 8 shots. I'm sure I'll catch flack for that statement, so *Flame suit on*

I'll also put on my flame suit. Even carrying my 1911 I dont carry an extra mag. (I typically carry a G23 with an easy to count 10 rounds... Im a simple man and 10 is easy to remember in a high stress "Dirty Harry" moment.. "did I fire 5, or 6?")

I hedge my bets. Im not naive enough to think I will never ever need a gun. I also dont think that the odds are that I will be in a situation that will require a reload or more.

Given the vast majority of AARs do not include a reload, I err on the side of convenience that I wont even empty my 1911, let alone come close to emptying my G23. Unless you are a target of the US Govt or some other well organized paramilitary force, when the first perp goes down, the rest say "F this crap, I'm outta here!" (ALMOST every single CCTV example I have seen proves this) Since I havent pissed off any gangs, drug kingpins, and I'm not a fugitive from the law, whats in my gun is good enough for me. :dunno:

I couldnt care less whether or not you carry enough mags to fight off the taliban. More power to you. If thats what you prefer, go for it. I also dont EDC a defensive level blade. (only a small leatherman that would take too long to deploy except if I had the element of surprise) My comfort level is that I have a gun and will be well equipped for most incidents given the vast majority of AARs.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Just about always a yes. The only time I don't is on occasion when I carry a G20 but even then I do have a spare most of the time. It's just not as important to me when I have 16 rounds of 10mm on tap as it is when I'm carrying anything less. If I'm carrying a 1911, then I carry two spares. The pocket pistol gets carried with two spares also. If carrying a Glock 19 or 23 then it's a single spare mag. There have been times when I've gone overboard a bit if going to a sketchy area of town and will carry the G20 with two spares. Right now, as I type this late on a Saturday night in my home with my family about me, I have a compact bobtail 1911 with two spare mags as well as my Sig P238 and it's two spare mags on my. I'm among the most important people in my life and carry in the home in a manner that matches their importance.

I'll also put on my flame suit. Even carrying my 1911 I dont carry an extra mag. (I typically carry a G23 with an easy to count 10 rounds...

Why only 10 rounds in a G23? When I carry my G23, it is topped off with 13+1 not to mention the spare mag.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Why only 10 rounds in a G23? When I carry my G23, it is topped off with 13+1 not to mention the spare mag.

10 is easier to count than 13 under stress. When I need to carry my G27 for deep cover, I carry 9+1. So whether I am carrying my 23 or 27, I always have the same round count so for muscle memory its all the same. I guess I could stuff a couple more in the 23 as a buffer since the muscle memory thing is to be able to be ready for an instinctive mag drop on the last round... which. I. dont. carry. a. second. mag... Excuse me while I go feed my G23 a couple extra rounds. :):

Top Bottom