• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do Illinois gun laws affect your travel there?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    We're working diligently here to try to get a right to carry license law passed. In a meeting this week with a legislator that recently came to our side, the question was asked "How does the lack of a carry law affect tourism in our state?"

So, in a very unscientific survey, I'll ask you to pick the answer that most nearly reflects your reaction to the Land of Lincoln's gun laws.

Last edited:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I've lived in Illinois almost all of my life. I now live in Indiana and I am going to law school in Iowa, because they passed shall issue right-to-carry this year. I'm spending $200,000 that I would have spent in Illinois, in Iowa, merely because of this one issue.

I got into five Illinois law schools. I am going to Iowa. Tell your legislator that.

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've lived in Chicago for almost 30 years and have recently moved to Indiana. While I never carried a handgun on me living in Chicago, I always had one in my apartment and with me at my restaurant. Now when I go back home to visit family I carry just because I feel weird not carrying. I figure the only way I will get caught is if I have to draw my handgun while saving a life. I will deal with the law if that ever happens.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I've lived in Chicago for almost 30 years and have recently moved to Indiana. While I never carried a handgun on me living in Chicago, I always had one in my apartment and with me at my restaurant. Now when I go back home to visit family I carry just because I feel weird not carrying. I figure the only way I will get caught is if I have to draw my handgun while saving a life. I will deal with the law if that ever happens.

IANAL, but that is a FELONY in Illinois. It will not end well if you are ever caught, and you will never own a gun again.

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    I never exit the highway while traveling through IL.

I make sure there is sufficient fuel to make it to the other side.

Only a few times over the years have we ever had to stop for one of the kids to take a an emergency leak -- but we leave the motor running, while they do their thing ...

It really is too bad ... there are some very interesting things in IL. Perhaps the legislators might consider selling these museums and landmarks to a more friendly state so more folks could visit them. Hey, they could even redistribute this newly acquired wealth to those entitled.

So not scientific, but it's clear to me IL doesn't want my kind around.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I take everything I can from Illinois and give as little back as possible (financially). I live in Indiana and work in Illinois. I pay only what I can't avoid paying ... taxes. I fill my gas tank in Indiana. I buy my food in Indiana. I avoid the toll road whenever possible. If it's gun related, I might feel ok about spending the money in Illinois but otherwise Illinois is a no-go. I've mentioned this somewhere else but I once broke down on the highway in Chicago and called an Indiana towing company to come get me.

When we lived in Illinois we used to travel all over the state and to Chicago. We were yearly visitors to Starved Rock with our whole family. We bought the family season passes to Brookfield Zoo, Shedd Aquarium and the Museum of Science & Industry. The wife and I would do the lake cruise at Navy Pier to celebrate our anniversary. There would even be frequent dates throughout the year to take in the fine local restaurants in the Chicago Area.

We finally saw the light and moved to Indiana 8 years ago. What were the primary reasons? ... Indiana's Carry laws and a changing neighborhood. Now we live almost within stone throwing distance from the state line and you could count on two hands how many times my wife and kids have been to Illinois in those 8 years. The last visit for them was July of last year (to visit a friend). We now visit the parks in Indiana ... the museums and monuments in Indiana, the lakeshore on our side of the state line as well as our own restaurants.

We can't stand the politics and we refuse to give a single red cent to a state that looks on us as subjects instead of free persons. You can tell your legislator that as well.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    It is a wicked and evil system that forces so-called free men to choose between walking as free men excercising their God given right to be armed and choosing to walk as mere shadows of men incapable of opposing evil that would rob them of their life or loved ones. A truly free society would never place the former in legal jeapordy for doing what is natural.

Last edited:

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    We finally saw the light and moved to Indiana 8 years ago. What were the primary reasons? ... Indiana's Carry laws and a changing neighborhood. Now we live almost within stone throwing distance from the state line and you could count on two hands how many times my wife and kids have been to Illinois in those 8 years.quote]

my parents did the same when i was 3 years old for the same reasons and we live approximately 10 miles from state line and never travel to illinois. i would love to visit chicago's museums and such but with the crime rates and their stance on firearms i'd rather travel to indy where atleast i can defend myself should i have to

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    IANAL, but that is a FELONY in Illinois. It will not end well if you are ever caught, and you will never own a gun again.

I guess I should clarify - I was just kidding... I would never break the law to protect my wife and daughter, heck, I would never break the law to protect myself, or even to exercise my constitutional right. I actually try to avoid Illinois at all costs. All I have to say is I'm glad I finally decided to move out of the communist state of Illinois.

:patriot:

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    As I have mentioned on another thread, I have had equipment breakdowns in the middle of harvest, a rain on the way, a 10 minute drive to the Deere dealer in Hoopeston, and driven 20 miles out of my way to spend my money in Indiana. (man! that was one heck of a run on sentence)

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    My family is from southern Illinois and I have a lot of family still in Illinois. When I travel to Illinois to visit family I NEVER bring my Walther PPS or my Glock Model 22. I would NEVER keep it in my vehicle, locked away unless traveling in my vehicle.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    My family is from southern Illinois and I have a lot of family still in Illinois. When I travel to Illinois to visit family I NEVER bring my Walther PPS or my Glock Model 22. I would NEVER keep it in my vehicle, locked away unless traveling in my vehicle.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Because of Illinois' gun laws, I never go there. When I have to go to Missouri, I tank up on this side of the border and drive straight through. I don't pull off the highway until I'm in Missouri.

I'm not giving Illinois even one penny of tax revenue.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I refuse to even set foot in Illinois. They have THE most corrupt state government in the country, and some of the most oppressive laws. Any state that refuses to allow me to defend my family will simply never see my family within their borders. There is no debate over that.

I have had some of my in-laws want us to go along on a family vacation to Illinois in the past two years, and not only did we refuse to go, we talked them into going to another state, where the Constitution was honored, and people weren't treated like subjects.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I have to say that I have family in IL. If I ever want to visit them, I'll have to disarm at the state line. I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet, as the last visit I made was before I had my license and I didn't carry my gun driving over there.

My family and I stopped at Gander Mountain while in Springfield, just to kill time and to do some shopping. We waited at the gun case for almost a half an hour before an employee came up to us. We asked just to see a weapon as my wife was still shopping for what she wanted and the guy immediately asked for our FOID cards. I had no idea what that was (I've since educated myself to IL gun law) and he asked if we even lived in IL. No, we're visiting. "Sorry, I can't even open the gun case with you standing here, let alone let you hold a gun."

I feel sorry for the people of IL, my family included, who have to deal with such bass ackwards gun laws and ideas.

Top Bottom