• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do Illinois gun laws affect your travel there?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Correct. He could have sold you a long gun or ammo and for that matter, he could have sold you a handgun as well, had you had a IN FFL he could ship it to for you to pick up once you returned home.

Personally, I think he did you a favor. He kept you from spending money in the People's Republic of Ill-annoy.

Blessings,
    Bill

Unfortunately, we spent money in IL as it was one of our family vacations we took this year. And, I'm sad to say that I actually did spend money at that store (although I got a big chunk of it back when I returned the most expensive merchandise when we got home). I do like IL. I almost moved there several years ago. That was before I knew what I know now. And, unfortunately, I'd only just applied for my LTCH the week before, and we all know how long that took, so I couldn't even supply that.

Overall, I know I'm not ever going to spend money in that store again.

I do know I'll be taking a trip to MO within the next couple of years. I'll probably be just like everyone else here and disarm/rearm at the borders. Unfortunately, there is one stop I'll make just before we hit St. Louis, and the only reason is because the restaurant is worth the stop. I'm not sure yet what I'll do when it comes to visiting family that live there.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I do know I'll be taking a trip to MO within the next couple of years. I'll probably be just like everyone else here and disarm/rearm at the borders. Unfortunately, there is one stop I'll make just before we hit St. Louis, and the only reason is because the restaurant is worth the stop. I'm not sure yet what I'll do when it comes to visiting family that live there.

Forget a restaurant in IL, if you are going on 70, cross into MO and hit up Lambert's, it's a FANTASTIC restaurant that everyone should visit at least once in their lives. They are the home of the "throw'd roll." You'll see...

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I chose option #4 since we do have to travel to/through Illinois fairly regularly. Always stop at Calebas to disarm and lock up. We actually went to an Appleseed/camping trip/shooting trip in Wisconsin (yeah, I know, of all states...still have friends there after living there awhile) and had to buy more trigger locks and a locking bin to accommodate what we weren't prepared for. We were quite a sight to behold dealing with that in the parking lot. :D

That said, we avoid heading to the state as much as possible.

But we do have family in Illinois and visit a few times a year, and I have a weakness for Ikea that a trip to Cincinnati could not justify. :): I've also been semi-relocated for work and will have to spend a lot of time there. Couldn't carry for work, anyway.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Deer season every November, SIL near Carbondale.

Otherwise the only time I go there is usually holidays or for work sometimes(which I don't pay IL tax for, I wonder if I could get AT&T in trouble for that)

rush176

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    I used to enjoy going to Chicago to visit and do the tourist thing. Now I have become much more aware of the dangers in public so I have a hard time traveling anywhere I can't CC. I will miss the fun things to do and see in Illinois but will take my business somewhere more accepting of me.

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    Forget a restaurant in IL, if you are going on 70, cross into MO and hit up Lambert's, it's a FANTASTIC restaurant that everyone should visit at least once in their lives. They are the home of the "throw'd roll." You'll see...

Hate to burst your bubble there Cru, but the Lambert's in Sikeston has a "no gun" sign hanging at the door. The Lambert family is vary much "anti-gun". Go over to MoCarry and check their list or post the question. There's lots better places in MO to eat. I travel there quite often.

AB

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County

I've heard of Lambert's and their throw'd roll, and we were going to make a stop there but decided against it last time through. I'm talking of Bandana's BBQ. I know there are several throughout MO, but there's one directly off 70 just east of E. St. Louis that makes it easy to stop.

I'm not one to really care about stopping and spending money when it's as rare as I actually visit there. But I definitely won't make a special effort, nor will I consider moving to IL until their oppressive gun laws change.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I avoid IL like the plague. I live about 25 minutes away from the line, and used to frequent Chicago and the suburbs before I started carrying. Now that I carry, I refuse to step foot in the state again. At the VERY best, I will drive through it, but will ensure that I have enough gas to not have to patronize even a single gas-station in the state. My car gets a routine 40MPG so this is not an issue.
    If the were to honor our LTCH, I would take the train up there immediately and spend money. It's a shame.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    We own property over in Missouri so we travel through a few times a year. I stop in Terre Haute fill up, eat and drive straight through to St. Louis. Stop again as needed and then head on to property.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Born and raised in Michigan and have lived in Indiana since, I think 1993 or so. I've been to Illiniois (Chicago) ONCE because it was required for work. I've passed through and did not stop TWO other times.

There are some museums and things that would be nice to take the kids to, but I refuse to be disarmed at the border and/or reward their extreme liberalism with one red cent of my money.

I mail order product from elsewhere when possible (as is almost always the case).

None of my 6 kids will be considering any higher ed institution in IL. Simply not on the list of possibilities.

Of course, this isn't restricted to IL. There are several states (9) that fall into this category for me.

Last edited:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Hate to burst your bubble there Cru, but the Lambert's in Sikeston has a "no gun" sign hanging at the door. The Lambert family is vary much "anti-gun". Go over to MoCarry and check their list or post the question. There's lots better places in MO to eat. I travel there quite often.

AB

That sucks... I haven't been in quite some time and when I did go, I didn't have my LTCH... so yeah, that does suck, now I can't go there. :(

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I think its a fair poll. Gun issues arent going to effect the non-gun owning community. If they want to see how it might impact people traveling to their state, seeing that a large percentage of people from Indiana that carry (or simply own or are fans of) guns will not patronize their state.

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    I think its a fair poll. Gun issues arent going to effect the non-gun owning community. If they want to see how it might impact people traveling to their state, seeing that a large percentage of people from Indiana that carry (or simply own or are fans of) guns will not patronize their state.

Yeah, I didn't post this over on the Council to prevent handgun violence site. I want to know how many gun owners are not coming to Illinois because of the laws. I've posted this over on MOCarry too. Getting about the same percentage of respondents that refuse to cross the river. Will be interesting to see how many responses I get and if the % holds. I'm guessing it will. Thanks for participating.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Yeah, I didn't post this over on the Council to prevent handgun violence site. I want to know how many gun owners are not coming to Illinois because of the laws. I've posted this over on MOCarry too. Getting about the same percentage of respondents that refuse to cross the river. Will be interesting to see how many responses I get and if the % holds. I'm guessing it will. Thanks for participating.

180 on here alone isnt terrible. I would say put a link in your signature and post some more around the rest of the forum. I know there are enough people that dont necessarily visit this board.

If your state government would ever be interested in listening to some out of state opinions and testimony, Im sure you would have no problem finding volunteers. I know I certainly would love to give them a piece of my mind, uh, I mean have a rational conversation with them.

AccuRat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Just north of nowhere...
    I used to live in Dayton, OH, and would drive back to the mountain west for hunting trips twice a year. I purpously scheduled my fuel/rest stops to avoid stopping in Illinois for ANY reason and made sure I never exceeded the speed limit.

Funny aside: As a brash youngster, my mountain biking buddies and I would travel to Moab, UT, every year for a few days of riding. Being from a fellow Western Athletic Conference school (at the time), we detested everything about Utah, probably because more often than not, they kicked our butts all over the field and hardwood. Anyway, we'd save all the trash from our trip and dump it on the side of the road right in front of the "Welcome to Utah" sign as soon as we crossed the border.

VERY JUVINILE and NOT subject to repeat of any sort, any time or anywhere. I do, however, hold the same kinds of philosophical views toward Illinois and their draconian politics....due respect to those of you in opposition to the same.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    When my girlfreind went to Colarado I booked her ticket from indy and spent over an extra hour eachway, rather than using Midway or O'hair. I'm not that far from Chicago but I avoid IL. like the plague. I chose "only when I have to and I never spend money" because once in a while I have to pick someone up at the airport. Why would I spend money in a state that I think would go commy if they could.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom