• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    My uncle once told me:

"Never give advice, smart people don't need it, and dumb people won't listen."

And no, the irony of that statement was not lost to us.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’ve taken a use of force class, actually two. I received contradictory information from each! One was taught by current and former homicide investigators, the other by attorneys. Lawyer up and shut up/vs. make a brief statement and then lawyer up. Also, my FoF classes instilled in me to be the one to call 911, but give limited info, such as I was attacked, I need Police and EMS at....I’m more confused after the classes, than I was before. So, I purchased CCW Insurance, or in INGO parlance Larry Carry butt cover. I will make a small statement to police identifying myself or the one I protected as the victim, and then lawyer up. So much contradiction in this realm of training, I’m not sure it’s wotyh paying for?

That has been my take. Depending on who is teaching dictates what line you will be told to take. Like a politician.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    That has been my take. Depending on who is teaching dictates what line you will be told to take. Like a politician.
    Yes I have had training but I can't say I know I'm prepared. BehindblueIs is fond of saying "92 counties, 92 prosecutors and each will look at every self defense situation differently", hence different advice from different people. I"ll going out on a limb and say that 90% of the people carrying a gun legally in Indiana haven't trained for a use of force situation. I doubt that someone with no training for the event would have the forethought to consider what might happen after.
    I think the most important thing I can do is know when I'm legally justified in using deadly force and avoid the situation it if it's possible.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Exactly. I'm not in situations that put me at risk. I have taken responsibility to understand the laws to be on the right side of it if I were ever held up or burglarized. I have no problem using force if I had to, and any gun pointed in my direction during one of these events, I will assume their intent will be to use it. The old saying give them what they want and they'll go away no longer holds water. A reasonable person today would assume they'll be shot anyway. Then it's STFU and lawyer up.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Which part was the bad advice? [from 'clay pidgeon'] That sounds like getting a doctor and expecting a big bill because I have some medical emergency. I wouldn't dream of representing myself

No, nothing like getting a doctor. I would not suggest you represent yourself.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Everyone would agree that I can say too much after defending myself.

A limited statement is intended to point the LEO in the right direction. That is logical.

Many people are in over their heads when it comes to a limited statement. So the advice of say nothing avoids those folks hanging themselves.

Contradicting? Yes. Seems understandable in this way.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Yes I have had training but I can't say I know I'm prepared. BehindblueIs is fond of saying "92 counties, 92 prosecutors and each will look at every self defense situation differently", hence different advice from different people. I"ll going out on a limb and say that 90% of the people carrying a gun legally in Indiana haven't trained for a use of force situation. I doubt that someone with no training for the event would have the forethought to consider what might happen after.
    I think the most important thing I can do is know when I'm legally justified in using deadly force and avoid the situation it if it's possible.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

I would agree! It's shocking how few seek out training for after a use of force incident.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Everyone would agree that I can say too much after defending myself.

A limited statement is intended to point the LEO in the right direction. That is logical.

Many people are in over their heads when it comes to a limited statement. So the advice of say nothing avoids those folks hanging themselves.

Contradicting? Yes. Seems understandable in this way.

That is the reason I see given most often as to why you should say nothing except, "I want a lawyer". My response is this. If someone thinks, even with training, they are unable to correctly respond after a use of force incident, then you are equally unprepared to make often split second life and death decisions. Use of force is rarely black and white.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    That is the reason I see given most often as to why you should say nothing except, "I want a lawyer". My response is this. If someone thinks, even with training, they are unable to correctly respond after a use of force incident, then you are equally unprepared to make often split second life and death decisions. Use of force is rarely black and white.

You are either facing a threat or you are not. That part is pretty black and white.

Top Bottom