• ...and so much more!
  • Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Where am I lacking?

To use deadly force there must be a threat.

Yes, there has to be a threat (Ability, opportunity, intent). I talked about it in a previous thread. But that's just the beginning. Is a 6ft 210 22 yr old male a threat? If so, what Level of force can you use today, in Marion County. What about tomorrow after leaving the dentist office from a root canal in Hendricks county? Is a 12 yr old who walks up to you with his hands in his pockets and says give me your wallet or I will kill you a threat? What force can you use against him? A man runs at you with a ball bat yelling profanity? Can you use deadly force? What if he drops the bat 6 feet from you but continues at a full sprint? Can you shoot? Why or why not?

Do the same principals apply to an off duty police officer? What about a 50 year old woman? When do you have a duty to refrain from using force? What if I am not the one being attacked, but witness 2 guys fighting in the parking lot just as one gets mount and shoots the other one?

This is just barely scratching he surface of one aspect,,THREAT, but you get the point. Like I said, use of force s RARELY black and white.

Learning how to run a gun i the easy part. There's probably 50 instructors on here alone who can teach that. It's the gray areas that most are untrained in.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Your training on this issue does not sound like it is going to steam line the decision making process.

From your previous post it sounds like you are going to do a lot of if this then that.

I will just trust my previous training and experiences.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Yes, there has to be a threat (Ability, opportunity, intent). I talked about it in a previous thread. But that's just the beginning. Is a 6ft 210 22 yr old male a threat? If so, what Level of force can you use today, in Marion County. What about tomorrow after leaving the dentist office from a root canal in Hendricks county? Is a 12 yr old who walks up to you with his hands in his pockets and says give me your wallet or I will kill you a threat? What force can you use against him? A man runs at you with a ball bat yelling profanity? Can you use deadly force? What if he drops the bat 6 feet from you but continues at a full sprint? Can you shoot? Why or why not?

Do the same principals apply to an off duty police officer? What about a 50 year old woman? When do you have a duty to refrain from using force? What if I am not the one being attacked, but witness 2 guys fighting in the parking lot just as one gets mount and shoots the other one?

This is just barely scratching he surface of one aspect,,THREAT, but you get the point. Like I said, use of force s RARELY black and white.

Learning how to run a gun i the easy part. There's probably 50 instructors on here alone who can teach that. It's the gray areas that most are untrained in.

Sounds like quite the circus of “what if’s?”.

I'll stick with “Do I absolutely have to shoot this guy??”

The answer is either “no” or “bang”.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Do You Train For After Use of Force?

That's what that shovel in my trunk is for.

...Oh.... You mean if there are witnesses and the police are called?

I just pull these out and nobody is allowed to shoot me because I'm the good guy. Plus I can get free coffee at the gas station and the hookers downtown give me some comp time. Win-Win. :yesway:
    sEonTrv.jpg

xeOVXKv.jpg

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Your training on this issue does not sound like it is going to steam line the decision making process.

From your previous post it sounds like you are going to do a lot of if this then that.

I will just trust my previous training and experiences.

Did I post a class I don't know about?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    All I know is beware the dark side... it's quicker, easier, more seductive.
    For once you start down the dark path forever will in dominate your destiny.
    Consume you it will.

Pfft. The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.
    [h=1][/h]

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

But what do I do if a guy dressed like a clown runs up to me with a gun, but the tip of the barrel is painted orange, and he drops the gun then runs away, but a monkey flies out of his butt and the monkey attacks me with a whiffle bat? Do I shoot the clown or the monkey, and do I need to yell "CCW!!" first?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    But what do I do if a guy dressed like a clown runs up to me with a gun, but the tip of the barrel is painted orange, and he drops the gun then runs away, but a monkey flies out of his butt and the monkey attacks me with a whiffle bat? Do I shoot the clown or the monkey, and do I need to yell "CCW!!" first?

Is this in any way related to the trunk monkey security system.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I LOVE the trunk monkey and IMHO If anyone I'm familiar with is adequately trained it would be Coach.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    You know I thought Route 45 was cool dude until he mentioned CLOWNS!

See I grew up in the 70’s and John Wayne Gacy was a thing I am actually scared of Clowns.
    So the Clown better hope I am carrying a 1911 and not a wonder nine that day it’s gonna be a mag dump!
    Maybe two mag dumps!
    I will then pistol whip the monkey and then beat the Clown with the monkey until the police arrive!

BTW
    Coach uses a “dummy” that reminds me of a clown and Coach taught me how to get all my rounds in a good area really fast!

Last edited:

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg

I once knew a guy, (although not personally, this was through another internet forum) who was a clown. Graduated from the RIngling Brothers clown college, came from a long line of circus performers going back to the Old Country. He was the real deal.
    For self defense he carried a rubber chicken full of lead shot and used it like a blackjack / sap. Please note the lack of purple. There's a lot of crazy stuff he got away with because nobody wanted to admit they lost a fight to a guy with a rubber nose and big floppy shoes.

Top Bottom