• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avcautoinc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    Now i've heard nothing but good things about bmc here on the ingo, but what exactly makes them so great?
    Say you put a bmc barrel and bcg in an anderson upper, is it still on the "junk list"?
    If they have their parts imported from other manufactures just like everyone else and i buy a rifle that has some of the same parts as bmc, it it still junk?
    And you can buy blem bmc uppers, i saw it on bmc's website.

I work on cars for a living and it reminds me of how people think their cadillac is the bees knees when its really a piece of crap, ill stick with my cheaper fords for reliability.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I think the worst rifle I ever shot was the colt they gave me in Air Force basic training... I don't think it ran more than 3 rounds without some sort of malfunction. I'd take my homebuilt Anderson/stoner/??? over that anyday. I'd also take my sig/fnh/alg homebuilt over the Anderson/stoner/???... Get what you pay for sometimes, other times (for the money) you get a big floppy up the fart duct when you just buy a brand. YMMMV, for the money, Just an opinion (but mine is better than yours), buy what I have to help me justify my expenses to myself, I promise mine is of above average size...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Now i've heard nothing but good things about bmc here on the ingo, but what exactly makes them so great?
    Say you put a bmc barrel and bcg in an anderson upper, is it still on the "junk list"?
    If they have their parts imported from other manufactures just like everyone else and i buy a rifle that has some of the same parts as bmc, it it still junk?
    And you can buy blem bmc uppers, i saw it on bmc's website.

I work on cars for a living and it reminds me of how people think their cadillac is the bees knees when its really a piece of crap, ill stick with my cheaper fords for reliability.
    not all manufacturers parts fit perfect together. Also some use different metals and finishes internally and externally for better wear and reliability.
    I personaly wouldn't put a ford engine into a Chevy car. But I'm not a car guy so I don't know what I'm talking about. But I do know guns. That's the one thing I'm sure in this life that I'm good at.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've got bcm charging handles in all my ar-15's they are truly great charging handles. Guns fail, no matter what you pay for them.
    Somehow I don't think that qualifies. Unless you have them on Top tier AR's :):

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    actualy $700 will cut it. Here's what I've always recommended to friends and other gun people. Buy a BCM factory built complete upper which you can get from $500 and up. Then buy a decent lower. At a later date you can upgrade your complete lower or just the trigger. The upper is what counts the most.

I have no issue with people buying other manufacturers. If they work theough a class then awesome you have beat the odds in a lot of cases.
    I don't have an issue with S&W or older bushmaster. Also premium PSA seem to be ok.
    But they aren't BCM
    Fit, finish, and function is something you will see a difference in with a BCM which still is budget friendly. They aren't as much as a Daniel defense often.
    also you can buy lowers and uppers seperate. BCM is trying to make their excellent product availible to all shooters!
    Not sure if $700 will even cut it. A complete BCM factory built basic Standard M4 Carbine upper with standard M4 handguards from BCM's website runs just shy of $700 with shipping. Definitely not gonna come up with a complete rifle for $700.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Somehow I don't think that qualifies. Unless you have them on Top tier AR's :):
    I put a bcm bolt carrier in my early production m&p 15 and kns anti rotational pins to cure shaving brass, erratic ejection, and pins walking out. Almost forgot picky on mags. Only solution to that was pmags.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    dunno... all I can say is...
    [video=youtube;seN7AKSwMFU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seN7AKSwMFU[/video]

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I believe if you truly want a great ar-15 load up all your mags, borrow some from friends load them up also, and shoot the living **** out of it. If it fails, find the problem and fix it. Repeat loading up all your mag and shooting the living **** out of it, until it no longer fails. Thinking you can buy a machine that won't fail is setting up for failure. Budgeting for a middle of the road gun and upgrades is wiser.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I'm happy with the AR I put together our of relatively cha\eap stuff. I don't care enough about the Ar platform to want to spend a lot of money on one.

The only AR I have spent a fair amount upon was this latest one. Spike's Warthog lower and a specially made free float handguard. I am only doing this and the rest of the stuff I have put into it because I have been called "Warthog" online since there has been civilian access to the web. When I got one of the Lowers, I decided to go all out and make it look as nice as I could and shoot well. This will be the only AR I have that will be all it can be, my other two are just blasters that I like to shoot.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Moral of this story: People are cheap, very very very cheap and love to say "My $500 rifle shoots just as good as your $1500 rifle" well they say that until their PSA special bites the dust and my LWRC keeps on trucking. Also "good enough" might not be good enough to get you home one day, firearms are an area to never cheap out on.

In most folk's hands, the $500 rifle probably does shoot as well as the $1500 rifle.

As to "get you home", I think this is where duplicates come in. My home defense rifle has 500 rounds through it to verify function and zero. Then it sits. It is not used for training, a dedicated training rifle is. If the training rifle poos the bed, who cares, that's what it's for. Guns are consumable items.

Now, to be honest I'm a low volume shooter when it comes to the AR. I shoot *maybe* 3k rounds in a good year. Probably closer to 2k most years. I also don't shoot further than 100y. The $500 rifle, for my use and in my context and at my skill level, is functionally the same. I understand that's not the same argument as "it's the same quality" but it fills the intended roll equally well. I would rather have 3 $500 rifles than one $1500 rifle. One for real use, one for training, and one vetted duplicate for when the real use one is sitting in the property room because it did it's job.

Whatever you choose, don't forget the importance of a duplicate/back-up.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I personaly wouldn't put a ford engine into a Chevy car. But I'm not a car guy so I don't know what I'm talking about. But I do know guns. That's the one thing I'm sure in this life that I'm good at.

Why would you want a Ford anything? Especially the rangers... I'd rather have an Anderson/DPMS/Bushmaster/Ruger/PSA AR than a ford ranger....

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    In most folk's hands, the $500 rifle probably does shoot as well as the $1500 rifle.

As to "get you home", I think this is where duplicates come in. My home defense rifle has 500 rounds through it to verify function and zero. Then it sits. It is not used for training, a dedicated training rifle is. If the training rifle poos the bed, who cares, that's what it's for. Guns are consumable items.

Now, to be honest I'm a low volume shooter when it comes to the AR. I shoot *maybe* 3k rounds in a good year. Probably closer to 2k most years. I also don't shoot further than 100y. The $500 rifle, for my use and in my context and at my skill level, is functionally the same. I understand that's not the same argument as "it's the same quality" but it fills the intended roll equally well. I would rather have 3 $500 rifles than one $1500 rifle. One for real use, one for training, and one vetted duplicate for when the real use one is sitting in the property room because it did it's job.

Whatever you choose, don't forget the importance of a duplicate/back-up.
    There is just one question that needs to be asked. Will you be going to war with your three $500 rifles?

Top Bottom