• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Like others have mentioned: I'd only consider something like this in a shotgun, or perhaps a revolver (judge/governor) type - the example of a snake gun seems very practical.
    For a regular home-defense / self-defense pistol I'd go with QUALITY self defense HP's, most of which do well as passing FBI/LEO penetration requirements.

doddsracing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Norman,IN
    My house guns are loaded with stout hollow points, I want then to be able to go through walls ,if anyone is in my house other than me and my girl friend I want to reach out and touch somebody!
    I do stagger my rounds in a new semi auto to see if it will run everything from semi wad cutters to round nose, if has problems it is gone thats why do I not own a Glock.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    My opinion on the use of tracers is this.

First remember tracers work both ways. You can see it, but so can everyone else.

Second POI is different on tracers than it is with ball, the longer the distance the more the shift. This is because as the tracer burns the projectile gets lighter.

I'm not saying tracers don't have a purpose, I am just of the opinion that I should know what's in the gun at any given time. If you're about to bust down a door check your mag. Does it feel light? Reload with retention.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I load my revolver with a different round in each chamber. Then I can pick what I want to shoot. For instance if I need the HEAT instead of the anti-zombie round. My favorite is the grappling hook. ;). I only carry this gun when I am wearing my open carry cape.

When I am incognito and packing my EDC, I just load it with quality hollow points.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I do that with my home shot gun. 3 number 8 are first. They are for kids that brake in to my barn or are trying to steal stuff from the garden. Then there are 3 numbr 4buck for someone that fires back or starts to come at me. The last two are slugs for the brave sole that keeps coming at me or if I have to shoot through a car or truck. Then there are 4 rounds of number 4 buck on the stock with 2 slugs for reloading.

Back to hand guns, I shoot 230 gr hp in all my 45s. So far so good.

Mwiseman6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I'm a Corbon fan and I stagger them. Their original 115gr JHP +p are very hot... 1350fps and 466 ft lbs out the muzzle. But I alternate them with the DPX all copper JHP's and the Glaser POW'R Balls. Main reason is because I like them all and didn't want to pick a favorite. :)

Yukon1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    If you stagger your rounds would you spend to much time counting bullets and trying to remember what round is next as to concentrating on the problem at hand?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I like this post! A buddy and I were talking about this subject the other day. I stagger in my shotgun, not for any tactical advantage, but just because I'm indecisive. I know #4, 00 low recoil Federal, and 00 Zombie 12 gauge will all do the trick.

In my handguns I go for all higher end hollow point. I run Zombie rounds in my .380, 9, .45, and TAP in my .40 (do they make zombie for that...?). I see no tactical advantage to stagger, however in a caliber like .380, I have read some strong arguments about using ball ammo. I guess some HP ammo has very poor expansion in .380? I will stick with the JHP with .380 myself.

As far as rifle ammo, I will not be adding a tracer either. I understand, and I dont necessarily think its a BAD idea, but in my SHTF scenarios I dont see it being too helpful.

I think worth noting are the responses about POI and actually HITTING your target. Dont forget that could be important too! :)

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I often do so. Hp in the tube, 5 HP next, then 5 FMJ. But, I also carry 2 spares, one all HP, and the other FMJ. I've been in situations when I needed penetration, and vise-versa.
    I've been reading too many reports of JHP not reaching deep enough when bangers are wearing thick coats over 3-4 layers of clothing.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    FMJ offers precious little for stopping an attacker. The likelihood of zipping a nice, clean, inefective little hole through them and smacking something you didn't intend to shoot on the other side is high. Lots of thugs in this country still sucking oxygen because they were shot with FMJ.

I am not disputing..... I would agree assuming the round is a 9mm or a .40.

What about a round in 230g?

davidc912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    South of Indy
    I only load 1 type of ammo into any mag that I'm carrying. I guess my philosophy is that if I'm ever forced to unholster, I want as few variables and as much consistency as humanly possible.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I am not disputing..... I would agree assuming the round is a 9mm or a .40.

What about a round in 230g?

Same principal applies.

Yep. It's still just a hunk of metal which is going to pass through relatively unmolested. FMJ will kill people, no doubt about that but HP ammo is much, much more effective and is less likely to over penetrate.

If the concern is punching through a barrier, use bonded HP. It will perform better than non bonded through a barrier. There are differences in the available offerings out there. Some clog with clothing/drywall etc. and act similarly to a FMJ round and some aren't affected by these things as much. The Federal HST round is the most impressive I've seen but unfortunately they don't make it in a bonded version.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yes I do, I have some Federal Hydra-Shok, Golden sabers, and Black talons in my 45 EDC - don't think it really matters much, but some are better at penetration, some spread better. I know my 45 ACP Colt will cycle and fire this way, I've tried it. In my opinion accuracy is moot. If I have to worry about 1 MOA or even 10 MOA, they are going to be so far away, I'm going to have a real hard time convincing a Jury it was self defense. Max distance in my big old house is about 30' from the corner of the biggest room to the opposite corner. If I can shoot 20 MOA, which is real, real bad, (think round ball out of a water pipe). I could hit a 2" target at 30 foot.

Top Bottom