• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Tom's a pretty good guy and is dead honest in his reviews of products and services. He's just a guy with an opinion. He's used the service and set out his review of it. Trust it or not.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Then we did some research. It turns out that DSC gets their blades & handles from Dorco USA. This is their web site: DORCO - Disposable Razors, Shaving Systems, Shavers, 6 Blade, Blades, Cartridges, Cartridge, Mens, Womens

I've been a long time Gillette Fusion and now Gillette Fusion ProGlide user. With the ProGlide I can shave 1 month on one blade, without
    tearing myself up, but still the cost for 4 refills is steep, but I still like the shave I get with it.

After looking into this a bit before this thread started, I found out about DSC getting their blades from Dorco, so I had a little bit in my PayPal account and decided to get the Dorco Pace 6 blade razor with trimmer. I dropped $17.00 for 1 razor with 2 blades and 2 individual 4 packs after finding a online dicount code that saved me some $$$'s.

I thought what the heck, even if I only get 2 weeks out of each blade, I'm still doubling the amount I can shave for the same money.
    Well I'm starting the third week on the 6 blader, still trying to get used to it a bit because it does not pivot as much as my ProGlide, but I have not cut myself, gives me a clean shave and so I think it is a great deal.

After this week is over, I'm throwing new blades on both the Dorco and my ProGlide and will shave 3 days on the left side with the Dorco and the right with the ProGlide and then swap sides for the rest of the week.

One thing to note, under my right jaw line, it has always been very sensitive for me to shave there, and use the sensitive skin formula of the Gillette Series Gel to help prevent irritation. So far just a slight bit of that, but I think it just might be me getting used to the new blades because of only having about a 65 degree pivot instead of the ProGlides 85 degree.

If anybody is interested, here's a 15% discount to try it out, only good till the end of the day March 31st.

Dorco USA - Discount Coupon

One thing to note that I did not mention above, Dorco does not require you to purchase like DSC, buy what you want, and when you want to, not locked into anything like DSC.

Last edited:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I've been a long time Gillette Fusion and now Gillette Fusion ProGlide user. With the ProGlide I can shave 1 month on one blade, without
    tearing myself up, but still the cost for 4 refills is steep, but I still like the shave I get with it.

After looking into this a bit before this thread started, I found out about DSC getting their blades from Dorco, so I had a little bit in my PayPal account and decided to get the Dorco Pace 6 blade razor with trimmer. I dropped $17.00 for 1 razor with 2 blades and 2 individual 4 packs after finding a online dicount code that saved me some $$$'s.

I thought what the heck, even if I only get 2 weeks out of each blade, I'm still doubling the amount I can shave for the same money.
    Well I'm starting the third week on the 6 blader, still trying to get used to it a bit because it does not pivot as much as my ProGlide, but I have not cut myself, gives me a clean shave and so I think it is a great deal.

After this week is over, I'm throwing new blades on both the Dorco and my ProGlide and will shave 3 days on the left side with the Dorco and the right with the ProGlide and then swap sides for the rest of the week.

One thing to note, under my right jaw line, it has always been very sensitive for me to shave there, and use the sensitive skin formula of the Gillette Series Gel to help prevent irritation. So far just a slight bit of that, but I think it just might be me getting used to the new blades because of only having about a 65 degree pivot instead of the ProGlides 85 degree.

If anybody is interested, here's a 15% discount to try it out, only good till the end of the day March 31st.

Dorco USA - Discount Coupon

One thing to note that I did not mention above, Dorco does not require you to purchase like DSC, buy what you want, and when you want to, not locked into anything like DSC.
    You get a month out of a Proglide? I can't get 4 days and I have had laser.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I dove in, just waiting for stuff to arrive. If I decide to stick with it, I have my eye on a vintage Gillette Fatboy.

"Nickel shave club" FTW!!

With my Muhle R41 and Personna lab blades for 12 cents each, I'm under two cents a shave.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    (Referral links to Amazon below fyi)

Bigtanker, go get a nice Double Edge handle like this here:

Amazon.com: Merkur Classic Safety Razor, Straight: Health & Personal Care

and pick up these blades:

Amazon.com: Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count: Beauty

Now, if you want a great shaving cream I like the Taylor of old Bond Street stuff here:

Amazon.com: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl, 5.3-Ounce: Beauty

Now get yourself a nice badger brush:

Amazon.com: Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush: Health & Personal Care

And you are all set for life (except for maybe $10 every 4-5 years for blades.

My dad learned to shave with a DE blade, and I've used one for over a decade. $30 bought me roughly 15 years worth of blades.

Just had my first shave with my new safety razor and I'll never go back. I used to despise shaving, this was an entirely new experience.

image_zps3d6b2298.jpg

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Just had my first shave with my new safety razor and I'll never go back. I used to despise shaving, this was an entirely new experience.

image_zps3d6b2298.jpg
    If you love an old school safety razor, go ahead and try a cutt throat straight razor. Learning curve takes about 2 weeks to get a decent shave, 100 for mastery. But after a couple weeks you will get hooked on that as well.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    You get a month out of a Proglide? I can't get 4 days and I have had laser.

I lol'd at that as well... A month!?!? Only if it's November.

I can't get 5 days out of them.

Yup, hard to believe, the original Fusion I was right @ two weeks, the old Mach 3's, a week.
    Got the ProGlide and started using on the first day of the month so there was no confusion
    on when I started using it.

I always hit the blades with a blast from the blow dryer before I start drying my receding/graying
    on the sides hair.

I remember using a Gillette safety razor and Bic disposables when I was a teenager, and used to love
    that Schick Hot Lather Machine.
    $_57.JPG

I seen that they now have one for gel...
    $_57.JPG

I may have to jump on this. :cool:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland

image_zps3d6b2298.jpg

I went to a safety razor years ago and would never look back. I only use it on my neck now since my beard is approaching Phil Robertson's. A safety razor is second in closeness only to a straight razor. It takes a couple of shaves to adjust to a slightly different technique but the value is great. Inexpensive blades and a damn close shave. I always got ingrown hairs that were painful and after doing some research it turns out a safety razor does best at eliminating them. Use a nice brush with shave soap and yer good to go. I also had a lucky find on a good straight razor at a gun show and had it professionally sharpened by Welcome GemStar Customs - Gem Star Customs but haven't used it yet. He is a good guy and used to operate Gemstar Custom Rifles. If you really want to get into the low down you can go here. http://straightrazorplace.com It's not all about straight razors but do talk about safety razors also. I will say the last time I was clean shaven happened on 10-2-12 when my fiance made a spa like experience for me with a haircut and straight razor shave. Hot towels and all. She said I never appeared so clean shaven.....and wishes I would do it again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    So the consensus is that DSC is just a middle man charging higher prices for acting as a middle man then?

Looks that way.

For the example of the 6 blade, a year's worth of blades (48) comes out to $108 w free handle on DSC. From Dorco's site, the same thing is $75 (albeit you can quite often come up with 20% off codes on their twitter feed it appears). There's likely a bigger play with DSC getting a huge bulk discount as well which I'm guessing would be in the neighborhood of 40% buying by the thousands if you and I get 20%.

DSC's model most likely makes them $2-4/mo per package shipped.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I get about a month out of each razor by storing it in rubbing alcohol to prevent corrosion. Whiskers don't hurt a razor blade any more than throwing a rope against a bulldozer blade.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I tried leaving my blades in baby oil to keep them from corroding into dullness, but the moisturizing strip dissolved and the shave was a totally different shave w/out it.... When the strip is gone the blade no longer works well for me. I only shave on average twice a week as well.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I just order one of those Dorco packs, handle and two cartridges, three blade set up. I'm interested to find out just how good they are. Mach 3 blades are expensive and I'm all for saving a few bucks.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Interesting history behind Gillette. They came up with the idea of proprietary blades so you would have to by from them. Then Schick got in on the action. Why do you think they give the razor away free. Usually by mail. Because they know you have to buy their blades which are quite expensive. That is where they make their money.

As far as shaving in the shower by feel, I don't believe it would be a problem with a safety razor. Of course it would take a little more time but not much. Most guys just want to lather up and hack away when shaving. If I did that there are too many places that are spotty without going over the same area multiple times unless using a SR.

Top Bottom