• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    The problems that I have with a safety razor are: first, my hair follicles are in a circular pattern, no matter what direction I shave I am going against the grain. Second, I have psoriasis which leads to very sensitive skin. Combine the two and when I use a safety razor I end up a bloody, burned mess.
    With a multi-blade disposable it isn't as bad, but if I shave more than two or three times a week it hurts like hell.
    I received my DSC razors earlier this week and tried the "butter" that came with them and honestly the shave wasn't much different, but with the "butter" the irritation wasn't as bad.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    The problems that I have with a safety razor are: first, my hair follicles are in a circular pattern, no matter what direction I shave I am going against the grain. Second, I have psoriasis which leads to very sensitive skin. Combine the two and when I use a safety razor I end up a bloody, burned mess.
    With a multi-blade disposable it isn't as bad, but if I shave more than two or three times a week it hurts like hell.
    I received my DSC razors earlier this week and tried the "butter" that came with them and honestly the shave wasn't much different, but with the "butter" the irritation wasn't as bad.

If you are breaking the skin with a safety razor, you're doing it wrong. Instead of blaming the razor you should blame your technique. Watch a few how-to videos on YouTube and have another go.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

Everyone is different and maybe you're unique somehow, but I've never gotten so much as a nick from the very first time I've used one and get a really smooth shave. Hot towel on the skin before the shave, quality soap/cream, and a good moisturizing aftershave have actually done quite a bit to alleviate my psoriasis.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Everyone is different and maybe you're unique somehow, but I've never gotten so much as a nick from the very first time I've used one and get a really smooth shave. Hot towel on the skin before the shave, quality soap/cream, and a good moisturizing aftershave have actually done quite a bit to alleviate my psoriasis.

Yep. It doesn't make sense to claim that a safety razor with its singe blade causes more irritation that a multi-bladed cartridge razor.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    (Referral links to Amazon below fyi)

Bigtanker, go get a nice Double Edge handle like this here:

Amazon.com: Merkur Classic Safety Razor, Straight: Health & Personal Care

and pick up these blades:

Amazon.com: Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count: Beauty

Now, if you want a great shaving cream I like the Taylor of old Bond Street stuff here:

Amazon.com: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl, 5.3-Ounce: Beauty

Now get yourself a nice badger brush:

Amazon.com: Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush: Health & Personal Care

And you are all set for life (except for maybe $10 every 4-5 years for blades.

My dad learned to shave with a DE blade, and I've used one for over a decade. $30 bought me roughly 15 years worth of blades.

Personally, I can't use the Derby blades. Not sharp enough for me in a Muhle R41. They're merely OK in a DE89 from Jagger.

I've recently switched to the AMERICAN MADE Personna lab blades. They last forever and are a great balance of sharp and smooth.

Amazon linky:http://www.amazon.com/Personna-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades/dp/B0077LAJT2

I was using Astra SPs, which are good for a mild razor, but not for an R41. Astras gave me 3-4 shaves for 8 cents each. The Personnas are giving me 10+ shaves for 12 cents, a much better deal!

Did I mention american made?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    If you are breaking the skin with a safety razor, you're doing it wrong. Instead of blaming the razor you should blame your technique. Watch a few how-to videos on YouTube and have another go.

It doesn't break the skin. Like I said, my hair follicles are in a circular pattern. With every stroke I am shaving with the grain, against the grain and across the grain. I've never had a "good" shave, only lesser degrees of ouch.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Personally, I can't use the Derby blades. Not sharp enough for me in a Muhle R41. They're merely OK in a DE89 from Jagger.

I've recently switched to the AMERICAN MADE Personna lab blades. They last forever and are a great balance of sharp and smooth.

Amazon linky:http://www.amazon.com/Personna-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades/dp/B0077LAJT2

I was using Astra SPs, which are good for a mild razor, but not for an R41. Astras gave me 3-4 shaves for 8 cents each. The Personnas are giving me 10+ shaves for 12 cents, a much better deal!

Did I mention american made?

FYI, Kroger and Meijer both rebrand Personna blades as store brand. I'm not a fan of Personna blades at all and prefer Japanese Feathers, but at least the Personna blades can be purchased at the grocery store.

F3140AA6_zps2c88761d.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I shaved my head last night with my safety razor. Unfortunately I believe the flexibility of a disposable offers an advantage over a safety razor for this task. The safety razor just doesn't work all that well on my curved dome. A bit disappointing but I shaved my face twice in three days with no razor burn so all is far from lost.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County

Feather razor blades are widely regarded as the sharpest blades on the market today. If you search for the best blades on Google, Feather is VERY frequently mentioned. I'd give them a shot. The Feathers are made in Japan, a nation known for quality. Gillettes are mostly from Vietnam, Thailand, India, and Russia.

http://www.amazon.com/Feather-Hi-Stainless-Platinum-Double-Blades/dp/B001G5HZCY

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Do NOT buy Personna from the drug store! They are NOT the same.

The Personnas I like are only available in 100pk boxes or larger. Look for either the "Lab use" or "medical prep" description.

I'm also a HUGE fan of the Feathers. By far the sharpest blade on the planet. But in a Muhle R41, it's not for the faint of heart. You'll cut yourself if you look at the razor the wrong way. I'm my mild DE89, the Feathers are much tamer.

Still, I like the Feather/R41 combo, though it is demanding. The reason I stopped using them is 1) price at much more than the next best option, and 2) they died very quickly in my R41.

I could get 5-6 shaves from a Feather in my DE89, but in the R41, 2 shaves and they were toast.

I love the feathers, and some day when I want to treat myself I'll buy a bulk pack of them!

ETA: The Astra SPs are also a pretty good all around blade. Not as sharp as Feather (nothing is-- I mean NOTHING), but very cheap and reasonably durable. I better overall value proposition, imo, then some of the pricier blades.

It's worth mentioning that even splurging for Feathers and using them only twice is STILL cheaper than a Mach 29 or whatever the heck Gilette is up to now.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I shaved my head last night with my safety razor. Unfortunately I believe the flexibility of a disposable offers an advantage over a safety razor for this task. The safety razor just doesn't work all that well on my curved dome. A bit disappointing but I shaved my face twice in three days with no razor burn so all is far from lost.
    I used to be a head shaver. Ever try these?

hb-driving.jpg

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Feather razor blades are widely regarded as the sharpest blades on the market today. If you search for the best blades on Google, Feather is VERY frequently mentioned. I'd give them a shot. The Feathers are made in Japan, a nation known for quality. Gillettes are mostly from Vietnam, Thailand, India, and Russia.

Amazon.com: Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades 30 Ct: Health & Personal Care
    i would add if you are a beginner i would not recommend feathers. They are very unforgiving.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Do NOT buy Personna from the drug store! They are NOT the same.

The Personnas I like are only available in 100pk boxes or larger. Look for either the "Lab use" or "medical prep" description.

I'm also a HUGE fan of the Feathers. By far the sharpest blade on the planet. But in a Muhle R41, it's not for the faint of heart. You'll cut yourself if you look at the razor the wrong way. I'm my mild DE89, the Feathers are much tamer.

Still, I like the Feather/R41 combo, though it is demanding. The reason I stopped using them is 1) price at much more than the next best option, and 2) they died very quickly in my R41.

I could get 5-6 shaves from a Feather in my DE89, but in the R41, 2 shaves and they were toast.

I love the feathers, and some day when I want to treat myself I'll buy a bulk pack of them!

ETA: The Astra SPs are also a pretty good all around blade. Not as sharp as Feather (nothing is-- I mean NOTHING), but very cheap and reasonably durable. I better overall value proposition, imo, then some of the pricier blades.

It's worth mentioning that even splurging for Feathers and using them only twice is STILL cheaper than a Mach 29 or whatever the heck Gilette is up to now.

From what I've read on Badger and Blade, a lot of people think that the medical Personnas are the same as the drug store blades and simply have different packaging or possibly a coating.

Top Bottom