• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    At least for now. The federal judge who ruled against it has come out and ordered the government to cease and desist enforcement of it immediately. No doubt the DoJ is scrambling to get this before a higher court, asap. Until that comes around, tho it's dead in the water.
    My guess is that this will make zero difference in how the men and women in the armed services act, work and interact. There will be no issues raise their head. I like to think that American soldiers are better than some would have us think they are.

Judge bans 'don't ask' policy worldwide - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    A very good viewpoint and refreshing from the general (for lack of better term) gaybashing, homophobia, etc... that I have seen in regards to this debate. Gay or not, who cares. They have just the same right to defend our nation. Being a soldier is about being a defender, an implement of defense, not being a "human". Sexual preference doesn't even add into the equation.

The folks in the military that think that homosexuality will degrade the military really need to focus on their job instead of what the other folks like. And hazing? Please. Anyone in our military that wants to haze someone else over something trivial like sexual preference needs to get kicked out; they don't have our nation's best interests at heart...

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    A very good viewpoint and refreshing from the general (for lack of better term) gaybashing, homophobia, etc... that I have seen in regards to this debate. Gay or not, who cares. They have just the same right to defend our nation. Being a soldier is about being a defender, an implement of defense, not being a "human". Sexual preference doesn't even add into the equation.

The folks in the military that think that homosexuality will degrade the military really need to focus on their job instead of what the other folks like. And hazing? Please. Anyone in our military that wants to haze someone else over something trivial like sexual preference needs to get kicked out; they don't have our nation's best interests at heart...

It sounds to me like you do not have much military time under your belt. A know gay in the military is gonna be in for a rough time. For the ones that say other wise your are attempting to fool your self or you have your blinders on. To hell with all this touchy feel good political correct jazz.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    While I disagree with DADT, and I agree that gay soldiers should be allowed to serve, I have a problem with a judge making such a ruling on a "constitutional right" that doesn't exist. There's no "right" to serve in the military. That standard is set by Congress and the military. This is a problem for the legislative and executive branches, not the judicial branch.

Praetorian13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Northern, Indiana
    Gay or not if someone in the military is doing a good job, who are we to say that they cannot serve in the military? I guess the whole part of the hazing and homophobia is annoying because unless the homosexuals are trying to seduce another soldier what are they really doing wrong? But who knows, this issue is going to be around for a while.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    It sounds to me like you do not have much military time under your belt. A know gay in the military is gonna be in for a rough time. For the ones that say other wise your are attempting to fool your self or you have your blinders on. To hell with all this touchy feel good political correct jazz.

I knew gay and lesbian soldiers in every unit I was in. It was always an open secret, and I never saw a soldier singled out for anything other than a few comments behind his back. Some were good enough soldiers that the most anti-gay southern boy in the unit would whoop your a** if you said anything about them - if you weren't in the unit.

And I DO have much military time under my belt.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Anyone in our military that wants to haze someone else over something trivial like sexual preference...

Trivial? Trivial? Trivial is something like needing a haircut or washing the stink off your body! Sexual preference in the military is an issue with the Federal Court, Congress, our "Prez" and probably the Supreme Court in the near future. Maybe a poor choice of words?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm unsurprised that those with no military experience think this is going to be a good idea. Then again, I'm sure some of the younger men and women are looking forward to co-ed dorms, since that's the only way to address the housing issues that are sure to arise. After all, if a straight man can be forced to live and shower with a gay man, there's no good reason not to force the women to live and shower with the men, and it will address some of the housing shortages we always had problems with. Not to mention some of the equity issues that were always coming up, like a single E1 female having her own room, a privilege that was supposed to be earned by and reserved for NCOs. Now, they can just shack her up with an E1 male.

Don't ask, don't tell worked. Screwing with what works is stupid.

Not to mention, the judge overstepped their Constitutional authority, and has usurped the authority to institute rules and regulations for the military that are expressly reserved for Congress. By legislating from the bench, they have betrayed their oath, broken the law, and should be impeached.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I knew gay and lesbian soldiers in every unit I was in. It was always an open secret, and I never saw a soldier singled out for anything other than a few comments behind his back. Some were good enough soldiers that the most anti-gay southern boy in the unit would whoop your a** if you said anything about them - if you weren't in the unit.

And I DO have much military time under my belt.

Hmmm In my fairly long military career I never knew of one single pole smoker. Perhaps a service branch or MOS difference? Homosexuality is wrong on all counts. I don't care what anyone thinks about it. It is as un natural as sticking your hand in a fire. It is disgusting and warped IMO. Your average US soldier or Marine will not tolerate them within their ranks.

Praetorian13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Northern, Indiana
    I'm unsurprised that those with no military experience think this is going to be a good idea. Then again, I'm sure some of the younger men and women are looking forward to co-ed dorms, since that's the only way to address the housing issues that are sure to arise. After all, if a straight man can be forced to live and shower with a gay man, there's no good reason not to force the women to live and shower with the men, and it will address some of the housing shortages we always had problems with. Not to mention some of the equity issues that were always coming up, like a single E1 female having her own room, a privilege that was supposed to be earned by and reserved for NCOs. Now, they can just shack her up with an E1 male.

Not to mention, the judge overstepped their Constitutional authority, and has usurped the authority to institute rules and regulations for the military that are expressly reserved for Congress. By legislating from the bench, they have betrayed their oath, broken the law, and should be impeached.

So are you saying that a gay man is the same as a woman?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The Courts think they should be in charge of everything now. They regard themselves as the final word in any and all matters. This should have been corrected long ago.

Jefferson wrote about this very error in the Constitution, in a letter to Monsieur A. Coray, Oct 31, 1823, “At the establishment of our constitutions, the judiciary bodies were supposed to be the most helpless and harmless members of the government. Experience, however, soon showed in what way they were to become the most dangerous; that the insufficiency of the means provided for their removal gave them a freehold and irresponsibility in office; that their decisions, seeming to concern individual suitors only, pass silent and unheeded by the public at large; that these decisions, nevertheless, become law by precedent, sapping, by little and little, the foundations of the constitution, and working its change by construction, before any one has perceived that that invisible and helpless worm has been busily employed in consuming its substance. In truth, man is not made to be trusted for life, if secured against all liability to account.”

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

Hmmm In my fairly long military career I never knew of one single pole smoker. Perhaps a service branch or MOS difference? Homosexuality is wrong on all counts. I don't care what anyone thinks about it. It is as un natural as sticking your hand in a fire. It is disgusting and warped IMO. Your average US soldier or Marine will not tolerate them within their ranks.

Rep'd. :yesway:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sure they are, but in the situation of showering together a straight man is not going to come on to a naked gay man and have sex with him. If their was a naked woman in the shower with the men that is a HUGE difference.

Why? Are you saying that our men would not be able to control themselves with nekkid women showering next to them? If that is the case then I suppose a shower room full of nekkid gay men might be a problem. Huh...

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside

Joe - This issue of homosexuality and the military has been beaten to death on INGO. The OP and the second poster are most often the initiator and/or the facilitator. Seems that they have some agenda. Their wealth of experience of what is right for the military services must come from some divine source.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

+1 and repped.

I served six years on active duty in the Marine Corps. I never knew ANY male Marine that I even suspected was gay. WMs? That could go either way.

I predict blanket parties for any Marine that comes out. Swift and severe. Grunts? I shudder to think about it.

Oh and for anyone hailing this ruling, you just had a federal judge trample the Constitution and declare herself Commander in Chief. That is by far the most overreaching ruling I have ever heard of in my life.

We have become ancient Athens. The end is near.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Joe - This issue of homosexuality and the military has been beaten to death on INGO. The OP and the second poster are most often the initiator and/or the facilitator. Seems that they have some agenda. Their wealth of experience of what is right for the military services must come from some devine source.
    Yeah, I have an agenda. It's called posting on a significant political event in the politics section. :rolleyes: Get over yourself.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Cool badge in your avatar spot.

Praetorian13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Northern, Indiana
    Why? Are you saying that our men would not be able to control themselves with nekkid women showering next to them? If that is the case then I suppose a shower room full of nekkid gay men might be a problem. Huh...

Im sure that if a straight soldier over seas for a year was suddenly next to a naked woman in the shower he would more than likely not be able to control himself. Same goes for a shower full of naked gay men. But what I am saying if you cannot read all that well is that one gay guy in a shower room with straight men is not going to try and have sex with them, he would get his a** kicked for that one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom