• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    The thing I don't like is that the people they're showing, while serious preppers, give prepping a bad name due to their uninformed, tin-foil hat wearing idiocy plastered all over t.v.. I've seen two groups so far who were at least reasonable and seemed intelligent and sane one was on Doomsday Preppers and they had one guy who was former military and the other guy was an engineer who made a gassification unit for a truck, and on Doomsday Bunkers a LEO guy who trains people for SHTF who had the HUGE bunker made. Everyone else looks like total idiots talking about polar shifts and solar flares happening at the same time, etc,.

Maybe it's just a mindset but there are only a few scenarios I would ever consider prepping for. Economic/governmental collapse, a natural disaster (New Madrid/super cell of tornadoes), and some sort of nuclear disaster. That's just me. As a disclaimer though, if zombies happen, I will be in heaven on Earth but that's a different story. :ar15:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I liked the spider-hole guy.

My 10 yr old daughter was watching and she thought we could easily take the hippies and take over their missile silo.

+1 to that... the spider-hole guy would take their compound by himself with relative ease.

I will say that the Hippies had the best compound Ive seen so far (even though they suck at life and don't know what to do with it.)

That property and compound was a steal at $400,000... The perfect place to re-start a structured civilization.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    +1 to that... the spider-hole guy would take their compound by himself with relative ease.

I will say that the Hippies had the best compound Ive seen so far (even though they suck at life and don't know what to do with it.)

That property and compound was a steal at $400,000... The perfect place to re-start a structured civilization.

$400,000? I thought it was $40,000?

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Yeah I heard 40K as well. Helluva deal, that's for sure.

Also, regarding their reasons; remember that there have been a few interviews now where the people say that Nat Geo edited out many of their stated reasons to make them sound more "out there" than they would have otherwise due to the producers not thinking it would be interesting or dramatic enough otherwise. Doomsday Preppers is but part of a bigger series called 'American Outliers,' which would indicate they are trying to marginalize preppers, even though they then have the little popups that say more than 51% of Americans believe that something will happen in the next 25 years, etc.

Look at their preps, get ideas from what they do and show, certainly... ignore the reasons that Nat Geo decides to put up in a sound bite and especially the 'odds' portions of the show, imho.:twocents:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I sent a request to be on the show. ( from a library ) Waiting for NGO to tour my survival doublewide and the bottom of ravine that floods often.

My bunker entrance is under the creek, and I won't let them go in it. It is water tight......

We really need to pull a fast one on them.....................

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Tried to watch it but just no hook for me. Sons of guns, doomsday prepper's.

Edit....Tried watching Sons of Guns....worst than last year.

Last edited:

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Yeah I heard 40K as well. Helluva deal, that's for sure.

Also, regarding their reasons; remember that there have been a few interviews now where the people say that Nat Geo edited out many of their stated reasons to make them sound more "out there" than they would have otherwise due to the producers not thinking it would be interesting or dramatic enough otherwise. Doomsday Preppers is but part of a bigger series called 'American Outliers,' which would indicate they are trying to marginalize preppers, even though they then have the little popups that say more than 51% of Americans believe that something will happen in the next 25 years, etc.

Look at their preps, get ideas from what they do and show, certainly... ignore the reasons that Nat Geo decides to put up in a sound bite and especially the 'odds' portions of the show, imho.:twocents:
    I agree. Editing has A LOT to do with how anything on TV is portrayed. They can make anyone look like an ******* or a saint. They can also make anyone look crazier than a three-legged lady with 25 cats.

I remember back in the Road Rules days on MTV. They had a challenge every year. One year, it appeared the two teams were neck and neck. However, the second team finished about 45 minutes behind the team who won. Editing made it appear it was a much tighter race than it was.

I've gotten some ideas from the show, but obviously take them for what they're worth.

How did the spider hole guy think he was going to re camouflage the top to his spider hole after he was in it?
    I thought that as well, but apparently he's your worst nightmare and it's not an issue.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Hippies did get the Atlas Missile bunker for $40,000. Lucky savages. Their place absolutely rocks. Thought I was watching part of "Easy Rider" with them dancing in the hippy compound. :D

The Spider Hole Marine was smart and training those kids!:rockwoot: That kicks the crap out of Boy Scouts! Just kidding. He definitely has the right idea on being able to re-take his compound. :ar15:He can digress, evaluate whether hostile and eliminate if necessary.

Doomsday Bunkers was pretty cool till the episode of the Bunker Company idiots arguing over the kid who is a welder. Hope they are not going the direction of "Sons of Suck" who likes to add drama!

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    the kid they were arguing over was the owner's son, if I recall correctly.

folks obviously have a WHOLE lot more money than I do, though I would love to be able to afford something like them....

POWERBALL group buy???

Top Bottom