• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    OK, my Mr. Ed story :D Many years ago, (18 to be exact) Myself and an acquaintance were looking to purchase 2 small semi auto (nameless) pistols. Ed had them in stock and we drove to Fort Wayne (2+ hour drive each way) to purchase said pistols for the price quoted. The quoted price was the going rate at that time, Not High or Low just in the Middle price range. While there, I also made an impulse buy of a rifle and some ammo. The rifle was salty but the AWB was or just about to go into effect. About a week later I get a telephone call from my buddy who said that Ed had called him and said that he mistakenly sold us Both pistols too cheaply and wanted an additional 100 dollars from each of us. I told him, yeah right and I never ever darkened his door again :xmad:
    My only other dealings with Ed prior to this were Gun Show buys.

That's sounds wild. What was he thinking, 'Sure Ed, here is my cc#, charge me another $100.' WOW. That is just plain weird.

How many retailers contact their customers after the sale and ask for more $?

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    wow, first time seeing the thread, and reading all the comments. I know everyone will eventually have an upset customer, for many reasons (especially the crazy ones) sounds like a lot of people have pretty legitimate complaints. Sounds like if you call him, to inform him you are recording the phone call, record the call to make sure you get it on record in order to hold him to his word. Sad to hear, and glad that I can do way better at my local gun store here in NWI.
    As for handling the firearm/blemish, sounds pretty shady, especially if its after an agreed on price. I would not walk away, Id run, and be sure to post the experience on here as well. Word of mouth can make or break a business, and in this economy, probably should be doing a little better to take care of the customer.

Oh, and I really loved the comment about how he laughs at us here on INGO, being less successful. Apparently that is good enough reason to never darken his door, even if he was the last firearms dealer on the planet. I know what Ive been through, and I KNOW there are others on here that have been through more. So, how could anyone possibly think their poo don't stink and they are better. Yep, thanks for making SURE I never go there.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    You guys have no sense of adventure. I bought my first gun from Ed in '99 and several more since. I've always gotten a good deal despite Ed's occasional exaggerations and misstatements. As I have said before, prior to walking in his shop I know what I want, I know what a good price is, and I have a phone commitment that he (a) has the gun and (b) can meet my price. I have always gotten what I want there and have never been fleeced, but I knew what I was doing and wasn't afraid to say "no."

I bought a 1911 once that I thought was shipped with two magazines. There was only one in Ed's box. I made comment but decided to buy the gun anyway. Two days later I got a phone call from Ed saying he had checked and confirmed that the gun only shipped with one magazine. I had already done an independent check and knew he was right. He already had my money and didn't have to take the time to call me but he did.

Another time I called looking for a Colt Series 70 Repro. Ed didn't have one. I thought that was the end of that. Three months later, Ed called me to say he had a couple. I had bought something else from somewhere else in the meantime. I appreciated Ed's remembering what I wanted and calling about it. The other local gunshops I deal with don't give me that kind of attention.

Ed's not a bad guy but he is running a for-profit business. Like I said before, if you want a deal from Ed you have to be at least as smart as he is. If you're not, he'll make some money off of you.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Us lonely stupid ignorant peasants aren't smart enough to deal with Ed.. basically what this guy above me stated in his own words is Ed is a big time liar and entrepreneur who will definitely rip you off if the opportunity presents itself.

Sounds like real smart business practices.. yet, some here are getting mad people are talking **** about him.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    You could just be someone that has more money than common sense also. Ed's name is a very popular one with some of the physicians I work with but they don't ever take the time to do their research. Every one of them I have talked to just throws money at the problem until they get what they wanted. I would be willing to bet this is how ED made most of his money.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    If his business model is playing 'private dealer' to folks that want to play/pay then good luck to him.

At the end of the day he is still just a gun dealer. If you choose to pay more from a guy in his basement then that is your choice.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    In defense of Ed! He used to sell out of his little house in the North of Ft Wayne. Back in the day you could not find a cheaper person to buy from in Ft Wayne. Early to mid 80's. Back in the days of the original H&H on State and ol Bill "here to make my Corvette payment for me"? Nice thing about today is the amount of competition available. Don't like what you see move on. There is always Gander Mountain! If you need a safe in NEI Ed is a good place to get them.

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Called him about a CZ purchase I was interested in. He seemed pretty accommodating although he was saying things about other shops guns having blemishes and being handled.

After I told him that I was not worried about blemishes since this gun will be manhandled in the next 5 mos and I just want to know what his price is, he kinda gave me the "Don't call me, I'll call you" routine.

been waiting 4 mos for his call.LOL! only experience I have with good ole Ed.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Called him about a CZ purchase I was interested in. He seemed pretty accommodating although he was saying things about other shops guns having blemishes and being handled.

After I told him that I was not worried about blemishes since this gun will be manhandled in the next 5 mos and I just want to know what his price is, he kinda gave me the "Don't call me, I'll call you" routine.

been waiting 4 mos for his call.LOL! only experience I have with good ole Ed.

Hahaha, and i thought all firearms were made to be manhandled. I buy my weapons to use, not for future generations to all watch it in the safe as well, IE Demolition Man.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I saw Ed's name and had to read every post in this thread. When H&H was on State st. Big Bill used to whine about customers "Wearing Out' his display guns then buying from Ed for $5.00 less. Ed is the King of bait & switch. Call, confirm price, confirm in stock, drive 20 miles and find the price $25.00 higher than one hour ago on the phone.
    Telling him No Thanks (not in that exact wording)= Priceless..................
    As for Blems & gun show guns, All the dealers deal with the same distributors. In over 55 years of owning firearms I've have never seen a New "Blem" firearm.
    If you do go to his house/gun shop Don't Drink the Kool-Aid!

digitick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    In the interest of keeping more recent experiences in this thread, I'll post mine.

I just bought my first gun from Ed, on Saturday (9mm semi-auto pistol).

A friend, my brother, and father had all recently purchased from him and suggested I check his place out.

I called him up to set up an appointment. He asked what I was looking for and explained that, "you're setting up an appointment to buy, not to window shop" (my friend and brother had also mentioned that to me, beforehand). He also made sure to mention that because people show up to buy, there is no excessive slide racks, dry fires, etc.

Anyway I was able to grab the very next appointment that day, and was there in 25 minutes.

He seemed very friendly and very knowledgeable, if a little conceited or pretentious. The process was very painless, despite how long-winded he was. A 20-30 minute purchase ended up taking 50 minutes, but I wasn't in any hurry.

My gun ended up being $75 less than a big-box-mart's web price, and $45 less than that same store's in-person price. Whether or not I got raked over the coals on price, I'm satisfied with what I paid. I didn't feel the need to negotiate with Ed on the phone, nor in person. Plus, it helped that my brother had spotted his price on my gun on his previous trip....so I knew what I was walking into.

Although, after buying some ammunition, I believe that's where he makes a fair amount of his money from. Even at the full case discount price, Ed's per-box price was still $3 more than other online stores.

Some of the things he said made me scratch my head, but they weren't related to my purchase, so I can't say those negatives would persuade me to always shop elsewhere. But I also can't say that the positives would always keep me coming back.

Just adding another opinion to the mix.

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    its interesting too see so many people on here have dealt with Ed, ive bought 3-4 guns from him over the last couple of years and he is long winded and a bit pretentious. first time i went into his shop with my dad and made a purchase. afterwards he went off into a 30 min speech about how anyone would be a damn fool to try to break into his house and he is ready for anyone at anytime.....blah blah blah. after we left my dad looked at me and said"is it just me or was that guy making a veiled threat about us coming back and trying to rob his shop?" wasnt enough to keep me from goin back if he had what i wanted and at a good price, but i wont be inviting the guy over for a beer anytime soon. best thing to know about this silver tongued fellow is be sure you know what you are after and how much it costs.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    wow, so glad that I live up in Da Region. So glad that I live up in Da Region. I have heard bad stories about the LGS here, but they seem like frolics in the park compared to this. Even the recent "good" experience that digitick posted, would have me never wanting to go back. I hate Walmart for most things, and I would still rather go there, and deal with their ignorance then this guy. Just my 2 cents. I know some other gun shops around the state, that IF im ever around there, I would love to check them out, this is not on that list.

digitick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    As an update, Ed called me today. He wanted to follow-up about another gun I'd mentioned to him before. He made sure that if/when I'm ready for said gun, that he'd explain the pros/cons for it and other similar weapons.

He also mentioned a guy he recommends for training.

I thought it was great follow-up. He thanked me for the business and laid the groundwork for a future sale. Nothing pushy or anything.

Good business move.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Here is the skinny with ED. If he has the gun in-stock he is great to deal with. If he does not have the gun in-stock that particular gun is the biggest POS you will ever buy and you should buy what he has instead. I have bought plenty from ED but I have also passed on plenty from ED for this reason. Right or wrong I want what I want and don't need to be pushed towards something else. JMO

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Here is the skinny with ED. If he has the gun in-stock he is great to deal with. If he does not have the gun in-stock that particular gun is the biggest POS you will ever buy and you should buy what he has instead. I have bought plenty from ED but I have also passed on plenty from ED for this reason. Right or wrong I want what I want and don't need to be pushed towards something else. JMO

Well, that is not what I have experienced in the last 25 years when dealing with Ed. I called Ed two weeks ago and asked about a revolver he did not have in stock. He ordered it and he called me yesterday to let me know the distributor finally got some in and mine was on its way. Ed even calls me several times a year to let me know when price increases are coming so I can get anything I need before the price hike. I have been dealing with Ed since he started in the firearms business. To date I have bought 69 firearms from Ed and have been pleased with every purchase. I also have done business with Ed Tomlinson, H&H, Geyer Arms, Albertsons Guns and several others over the years. Ed Hirschy is set up with more distributors than most any other dealer I know and always get what I need when I need it.

Top Bottom