• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I've always hated that phrase. It's a great sound bite, but it's surprisingly short-sighted. There's no reason that carrying can't be comfortable, and the more comfortable it is, the more likely you are to carry often. I hated carrying until I figured out how to do it comfortably. Now I carry whenever possible.

If carrying your gun isn't comfortable, I encourage you to seek out and talk to people who can comfortably carry and see if you can work out how they do it. Every person and body type will be different, so another's way won't necessarily work for you, but you can certainly get lots of ideas to try.

The problem is people try to make carrying comfortable by carrying tiny guns in anemic calibers rather than using quality belts and holsters that make carrying a full size fighting gun as comfortable as possible.

Back on topic:

Yes, I enjoy carrying. I'm proud to do it and accept the responsibility of what it means.

Trpanther

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don’t know if I would say I enjoy carrying, I carry because I feel the need to be able to defend myself and my family .
    I carry a Kimber pro carry II or a Glock 23 and have no discomfort from carrying either of them.
    I never leave the house without one of them or both.
    I wish we lived in a society where I did not feel the need to carry, unfortunately I/we do not.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I enjoy it. It is very comforthing knowing that I am doing my best to protect myself and my loved ones. I have been doing it long enough that I don't have any discomfort problems...It does take some holster/firearm experimentation to figure out what works best for each of us.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The problem is people try to make carrying comfortable by carrying tiny guns in anemic calibers rather than using quality belts and holsters that make carrying a full size fighting gun as comfortable as possible.

Some have body shapes that make a standard belt holster uncomfortable, even with a quality belt and holster (i.e. big gut or similar difference). Some have to work in a location where carrying IS a fire-able offense. (Which, by the way, is every where in Indiana should the employer choose that.)

Some of these factors combine in the fact that a .380 might be the best option. It isn't about comfort. It is about working within the constrains of a person's situation.

A .380 on the person is better than a .40 in the safe 10 times out of 10. Wanna let me shoot you with my anemic P3AT with 8 rounds? Ballistics very similar to the .38 that used to be common with police departments. Bet those bullets bounce off you like rain.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Although it doesn't make me feel like a man (thank God), I enjoy carrying.
    But then, I have a shiny pretty gun, so it's like jewelry!
    It makes me feel girly. Come to think of it, that's probably why YOU all carry...it doesn't make you feel like a big man, it makes you all feel like girly girls and you know you love it. :D

Hey now...I don't carry a safe-queen 1911. I carry my profile pic...OD green & flat black...in a Kydex & leather IWB holster. All utility there :):

That said, I don't necessarily "enjoy" carrying, but I both accept it as a necessary responsibility & stand on principle about not going to places where I'm prohibited from fulfilling my responsibility to protect myself, my wife, and those around me. Sorry nieces, nephews, and friends' children...I won't be at your recital/game/play/etc if it takes place in a K-12 school, church with a daycare, or at one of Fort Wayne's parks.

Last edited:

adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    I carry everyday (all day long). I have a light weight 9mm (CW9) and it sits in a super tuck on a good gun belt. I sometimes do not even feel it on my hip. I like knowing it is there as I roam the forest for so many hours a day. I have run into dog packs, odd strangers, and even a rabid coon. All the while on horse back and way to far out to look for help. So... I guess, I do like to carry and the comfort is fine if you have good tack for your weapon. To many put a good gun in a cheap holster on a dress belt and expect it to do fine. Kinda like buying a new car and putting it on re-caps.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    How many actually enjoy carrying their handgun? I know some say handguns are to be carried to be comforting not comfortable. Just curious.

Thanks
    Enjoy? I haven't really thought of it that way. I've gotten to the point where I hardly notice I'm carrying: OC or concealed.

If you are talking physical comfort, then a good holster and handgun make all the difference. I routinely "forget" I have it on. I do need a better OC holster, as I still bump into stuff (the grip sticks out too far for me).

Emotional comfort? Sure, I guess. I know my wife is certainly more comfortable when I carry. She mentioned it again over the weekend. It is nice having one more layer of defense for me and my family.

Now shooting..... THAT I do enjoy!

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Some have body shapes that make a standard belt holster uncomfortable, even with a quality belt and holster (i.e. big gut or similar difference). Some have to work in a location where carrying IS a fire-able offense. (Which, by the way, is every where in Indiana should the employer choose that.)

You're correct. There are legitimate reasons to make compromises with the size of carry guns. I know someone who has back pain when he carries a heavy, full size gun. Although, I was speaking of the specific circumstance where people choose not to carry a fighting handgun simply because it is easier or more comfortable to carry somthing of reduced size and caliber.

indyjoe said:
    Some of these factors combine in the fact that a .380 might be the best option. It isn't about comfort. It is about working within the constrains of a person's situation.

That is doubtful. There are some mighty small .45s available. There are many 9mm only slightly larger than something like a P3AT or LCP.

indyjoe said:
    A .380 on the person is better than a .40 in the safe 10 times out of 10. Wanna let me shoot you with my anemic P3AT with 8 rounds? Ballistics very similar to the .38 that used to be common with police departments. Bet those bullets bounce off you like rain.

I don't think this is quite the place for a caliber debate but if I were to choose what I am to be shot with a .380 would be in one of my top two or the choices.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I don't think this is quite the place for a caliber debate but if I were to choose what I am to be shot with a .380 would be in one of my top two or the choices.

Not mine. I'd rather .22 LR, .25, .32. So I guess it is fourth on my list of common calibers. I still stand by the argument that requiring people to carry a full caliber weapon actually makes more people carry nothing.

When I can, I carry a Glock 23. I always carry a P3AT. Otherwise I'd be unarmed. For some people in some positions, it is not practical to carry anything else. Just the way it is.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    How many actually enjoy carrying their handgun? I know some say handguns are to be carried to be comforting not comfortable. Just curious.

Thanks

Not me. Anything extra ain't fun,,,especially when you have to keep track of it all the time. Ain't exactly the same as forgetting your cell phone at the restaurant...

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I feel uncomfortable when I DON'T have it on me! I have been carrying long enough that it is now second nature and like so many have previously said, the right holster makes all of the difference in the world. I feel comforted by the fact that I am in much better control of my safety and the safety of my family by carrying. Besides, what's not incredible about comfortably packing a full-size .45? :thumbsup:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I don't wake up, and look forward to strapping on my handgun like a kid streaking downstairs for Christmas morning, but I've carried for so long, that it's become like my watch, or wallet.... if it's not there I'd likely feel unbalanced, (been accused already, thanks) but, it's always there..... comfortably.

earlykyler2012

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Grant County
    If your not comfortable carry, find a different setup. As far as enjoying carrying, no I don't enjoy carrying, what's there to enjoy,but it is comforting. But what I do enjoy is shooting the hell out of them targets! :ar15:

Last edited:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Is it illegal to carry in church?

EDIT: oh, a church with a daycare. But still...

Yeah, I specifically sought out a church w/out a licensed daycare or K-12 school. I'm an usher, help in the sound booth, and am taking the guys from my small group to the range this weekend because they're all interested in getting handguns, since my wife let it slip that I'm armed at all times.

All discomfort I encounter from carrying a full size firearm comes in the form of unconstitutional laws. It's highly discomforting that I'm required to either A) break the law, B) disarm myself, or C) exclude myself from the activities of my family & friends.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom