• DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Proud, why yes I am. :D

Great pics and I know more will be posted in time.:rockwoot:

Like this?:D Dakota and I stripped his Junglas yesterday, we etched the logos in first, now he wants to make some new grips.

95da1603.jpg

456e9450.jpg

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I love my 5 and the sheath I got with it. I bought that set up at the Blade Show this past June. That sheath is no longer being made. the 5 is an older one with the Rat Cutlery name on it but I love it. Also a fond memory of the Blade Show for me.

Good to see you post on here WOO. I knew your daughter would be very pleased and surprised. :yesway: Father and daughter sharing their likes for their Izula's. :D

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I have family that lives in tennessee, so, naturally, I had to swing by the smoky mountain knife works. I was in the market for an izula, but didn't like the way it felt.

...while the guy had the case unlocked (they keep them in a glass case on a wall, by the way), I made the mistake of holding an esee 3. Big mistake.

Long story short I ended up finding one that'd been used literally two times for a really good price online, and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I'll be sure to post 5783934$8%75 photos when it gets here!

(I'm really excited about it. Sorry. :) )

I'm saving this spot for forthcoming photos...and to remind me to take said photos.

6086958115_dc7366091f.jpg

6086956829_328f4b33a2.jpg

6087500440_2f84b2c3a6.jpg

6086953393_19c928ec23.jpg

Edit: shot a few quick ones with what I had laying around. As you may have guessed, I used to do product photography every now and then when I needed some extra cash.

Last edited:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Nope, wouldn't have guessed. Lighting was good, but the exposure is meh. The shadows are too dark and have left the images to focus on the handles of the Izzy.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Ouch.

I'll agree that they are a bit dark, however I feel that's mostly attributed to the black rifle and olive drab stuff I used as a background. I pulled that junk out of the safe/closet and threw it on my bed to shoot those (I live in an apartment complex and my landlord wouldn't approve of my shooting them outside) in about ten minutes.

I'll admit that I don't really have an issue with the amount that the handles on the esee (which is an esee 3, not an izzy, by the way) stand out, as it provides a clear focus, which is the whole point in product photography. To draw your eye towards the product being featured. This isn't a thread about a smith and wesson, or an ar15, now is it? :)

Granted, the blade counteracts this to some degree, being black and all, but it's my opinion that the reflection from the texture of the blade, and the solid black of the shadows give enough of a contrast to be acceptable in this circumstance.

I also feel it relevant to mention that, for lighting, I was using one of my flashes sitting on my dresser, rather than the 3 to 5 that I'd normally use. No umbrellas, flash diffusers, stands, etc. Just the flash/trigger. It wouldn't matter if the exposure was 3 seconds at f13, or 1/30th of a second. Those shadows would still be there, since the flash was the only light source in the room.

Do you have any examples of your work? I worked for a newspaper in knoxville for about 2 years as an advertising production artist, so most of my clientel extended from that. Mostly beer bottles on white backgrounds for local breweries and such. That being said, I'm interested in seeing what you'd consider "good" for this kind of product.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm sincerely curious, since it's not something I'd shoot every day.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Nope sure don't because I do not make it a point that when I post photos that I make and/or made a living a such. I am just making a point for a person whom implied they made a living that the technical image quality isn't impressive (to which you pointed out it's flaws and/or shortcomings). Although I did say the composition and lighting is great.

So take the ouch as hardly as you want. I had much harsher criticisms than this before towards my work from more than just a random internet forum member. It took me almost a year before I got an image on a cover.

Last edited:

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Then direct me towards a flickr account/online portfolio/something where I can see your work.

All I did was simply mention that I used to do product photos when I needed extra cash. I would usually shoot motorsports (motorcycles, mostly) and action sports, both of which have been published, covers included, and branch out from there, so product photography was never how I 'made a living.' You'd be amazed how much business I've gotten from throwing a sentence like that in with an online post.

I'm sorry it somehow offended you.

BSUrugger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Behind the reticle
    So..back to pics. I finally met up with the wonderful Knife Lady! Bougth an ESEE 3 and a pink Izula for the girlfriend. She took it home with her tonight, so no pics of it. Thanks Knife Lady!!!
    2011-08-29_20-43-32_760.jpg

Top Bottom