• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I did portrait photography of actors when I was younger and I don't have a problem with alloy's photos. There were great photos that created the right mood for a tactical knife (shadows too dark?).

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Haha, I appreciate it guys, but I think I've hijacked this thread enough. Lol

I'll try and take some outdoors-type knife-In-use photos when I get a chance.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Then direct me towards a flickr account/online portfolio/something where I can see your work.

All I did was simply mention that I used to do product photos when I needed extra cash. I would usually shoot motorsports (motorcycles, mostly) and action sports, both of which have been published, covers included, and branch out from there, so product photography was never how I 'made a living.' You'd be amazed how much business I've gotten from throwing a sentence like that in with an online post.

I'm sorry it somehow offended you.

If you want to see some good examples of knife product photos, go to ESEE's website directly and see what is there that Jeff's done. Also, look for any of Terrill Hoffman's stuff in Tactical Knives. There are plenty of others as well.

I'm not bashing you at all, I encourage everyone to shoot better. I've had lots of stuff featured in SWAT, TK and others, but it was because people like the above helped me out when I started.

I would just say that try to have the viewer's eye drawn more to the knife, using lighting and composition. Background objects are ok, but it has to be secondary and less clutter.

Also, almost all knife photos are taken with pommel in upper right and tip in lower left. It's sort of customary in layouts, whether it should be or not is sometimes hotly debated. :D:dunno:

Keep shooting....and back to your regularly scheduled ESEE thread.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    6100958503_6e10f05c01.jpg

6101509230_6780c5ab06.jpg

6101510988_e3ef7483f3.jpg

6100959969_622733c01d.jpg

This one was just to show the slight modification I did to the spine in order to use a flint with it. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Nice family!

I'm really considering adding an izula to mine, but the esee 6 survival kit deal is also on my mind. Tough call.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Knives are not "pretty".....they can be cool, awesome, tactical, badass, and many other adjectives but not "pretty". Now go and put some hurtin on that "pretty" 5 you have. :):

Ummmm I disagree! I think the pretty colors of the Izulas make them pretty :) I like the green and the pink. :)

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Knives are not "pretty".....they can be cool, awesome, tactical, badass, and many other adjectives but not "pretty". Now go and put some hurtin on that "pretty" 5 you have. :):

Hummm I know I have heard you call some of your Case knives pretty and beautiful. So Ryan you get your man card back now. :rockwoot:

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Can anyone tell me if the boot clip that comes with the 3, will work with the 4?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom