• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The idea in the OP video is that common hardware in a common caliber makes logistics simpler (more easily supplied, serviced, modified, resupplied, supported, etc.) than uncommon hipster Gucci hardware in a less common caliber.

Such support will likely be more difficult in a lengthy SHTF scenario, and thus this criteria may be more advantageous than it is during normal times. Pretty simple straightforward stuff.
    Most people will never make it through a lengthy SHTF. Worrying about whether your sidearm is the "right one" is silly and makes it easy to make fun of preppers. Is it not a valid concern? Sure. Is it even in the top 10 issues to worry about? No.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Let me get this straight. In a lengthy SHTF scenario my S&W breaks a firing pin and because it's not a Glock 19 I'm gonna die. Now that changes everything!:lol2:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The idea in the OP video is that common hardware in a common caliber makes logistics simpler (more easily supplied, serviced, modified, resupplied, supported, etc.) than uncommon hipster Gucci hardware in a less common caliber.

Such support will likely be more difficult in a lengthy SHTF scenario, and thus this criteria may be more advantageous than it is during normal times. Pretty simple straightforward stuff.
    Many sure do not get the point of the video, which maybe just to make folks think about what may happen.

Always thought one of the silly details of apocalypse movies and shows is how no matter what happened, for example, Rick in Walking Dead, he always somehow got that Python back…

Maybe I should do a SHTF vid on the Python since in WD nobody seemed to want it. LOL

Last edited:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    There are hundreds of millions of firearms in the county. The g***k may be the most popular single model, but it's not the only model out there. Just like your walking dead example you're not always guaranteed to happen upon a g***k.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Many sure do not get the point of the video, which maybe just to make folks think about what may happen.

Always thought one of the silly details of apocalypse movies and shows is how no matter what happened, for example, Rick in Walking Dead, he always somehow got that Python back…

Maybe I should do a SHTF vid on the Python since in WD nobody seemed to want it. LOL
    The point of that video is to get "likes" and subscribers. Larpers are gonna larp

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I’ve tried searching for the numbers but it’s difficult data to dig up. When I search for the most owned pistols in the US, I get plenty of articles with lists of “the most popular” pistols in the US.

Most popular (highest selling) does not mean the most made or owned. The 1911 has been produced for over 100 years now which means there are many many of them out there and the Beretta 92 has been around since the mid-70s and popular with police and military forces around the world for decades.

I disagree with the need for a Glock specifically just because it sells well in the past several years/decades.

In shtf scenario I don’t think you’d have any trouble finding 1911 or Beretta parts lying around.

I think caliber might have more importance than the gun. 9 mm seems to be the most produced pistol round with .45 ACP close behind (excluding .22).

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I’ve tried searching for the numbers but it’s difficult data to dig up. When I search for the most owned pistols in the US, I get plenty of articles with lists of “the most popular” pistols in the US.

Most popular (highest selling) does not mean the most made or owned. The 1911 has been produced for over 100 years now which means there are many many of them out there and the Beretta 92 has been around since the mid-70s and popular with police and military forces around the world for decades.

I disagree with the need for a Glock specifically just because it sells well in the past several years/decades.

In shtf scenario I don’t think you’d have any trouble finding 1911 or Beretta parts lying around.

I think caliber might have more importance than the gun. 9 mm seems to be the most produced pistol round with .45 ACP close behind (excluding .22).
    I chose the .45 long ago and in an effort to keep costs and space down try to keep all of my pistols in that caliber. Same with rifles, I've got a 5.56 and looking to add to that potentially with interchangeable parts as well.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I chose the .45 long ago and in an effort to keep costs and space down try to keep all of my pistols in that caliber. Same with rifles, I've got a 5.56 and looking to add to that potentially with interchangeable parts as well.
    Similar here, I have standardized on 9 mm, 45 ACP, and 223/556.

Plus, I have all the reload tooling and components needed for the above in quantity.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Do you have a firing pin for my S&W compact? :cool:
    No... but I got a spare S&W if you want.

I like the fact that we are expecting preppers to have only one of something. Like any of us moderately prepared only have single handguns/rifles/shotguns. I guess if you could only have one the g***k might be a perfectly fine option. But if you've waited until the SHTF to start prepping you're probably already screwed.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

I said this already almost to a T. But all you get is bUt I dONt LiKE gLoCkS. Not the point. It's either you agree with the guy about THE CONCEPT or you don't

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I said this already almost to a T. But all you get is bUt I dONt LiKE gLoCkS. Not the point. It's either you agree with the guy about THE CONCEPT or you don't
    It's a theory. IF everyone had g***k 19s yes it would be beneficial. BUT, there are so many other variants out there of different handguns you are not guaranteed to find what you need at the time you need it. The takeaway: own more than one of whatever you carry use.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    It's a theory. IF everyone had g***k 19s yes it would be beneficial. BUT, there are so many other variants out there of different handguns you are not guaranteed to find what you need at the time you need it. The takeaway: own more than one of whatever you carry use.
    Not sure it's about a guarantee. It's about improving my probability of finding something I may need. Calling it theory is borderline. It's more of a practicum. All the world's militaries practice this concept

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Not sure it's about a guarantee. It's about improving my probability of finding something I may need. Calling it theory is borderline. It's more of a practicum. All the world's militaries practice this concept
    Fine you “win”. Done. Nothing but a g***k 19 is even remotely acceptable. Got it.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Fine you “win”. Done. Nothing but a g***k 19 is even remotely acceptable. Got it.
    Bro, that's not my point. I'm not trying to win anything in favor of a glock. I don't even carry a glock. Lol. If somehow it can be proven that the 1911 or a P226 or whatever you want it to be was the most privately owned pistol then I'd say the same thing cause the concept doesn't change.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Bro, that's not my point. I'm not trying to win anything in favor of a glock. I don't even carry a glock. Lol. If somehow it can be proven that the 1911 or a P226 or whatever you want it to be was the most privately owned pistol then I'd say the same thing cause the concept doesn't change.
    The whole idea of needing parts for your pistol while fighting for food, water and shelter is just ridiculous. Click-bait in the worst way.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I thought the video was fine.

I’ve shared it before and I’ll share it again. BW will be along shortly with my rep. Everyone should own an AR-15 and a double stack 9mm Glock (You choose the model: 17, 19, 26, 34, 45). I’ll continue to carry a 1911 or my ratting old Gen1 Walther PPS, but you better believe I can shoot and provide support for the Glock.

I am sitting in a hotel room on Iowa. There is a Glock 26 in a travel safe that I keep in my luggage. It isn’t my carry gun. If a big bright flash appears in the sky and all the power goes out, I will have a pistol that is lightweight and accepts all sizes of the most common magazines.

Top Bottom