• JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I thought the video was fine.

I’ve shared it before and I’ll share it again. BW will be along shortly with my rep. Everyone should own an AR-15 and a double stack 9mm Glock (You choose the model: 17, 19, 26, 34, 45). I’ll continue to carry a 1911 or my ratting old Gen1 Walther PPS, but you better believe I can shoot and provide support for the Glock.

I am sitting in a hotel room on Iowa. There is a Glock 26 in a travel safe that I keep in my luggage. It isn’t my carry gun. If a big bright flash appears in the sky and all the power goes out, I will have a pistol that is lightweight and accepts all sizes of the most common magazines.
    Yep you and that Glock26 will rule the area until a roving gang comes by, shoots you in the head and takes your Glock26 and all your sh*t. I will survive a little longer because roving gangs only want the most bestest pistol and my S&W is of no value to them. :lol2:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep you and that Glock26 will rule the area until a roving gang comes by, shoots you in the head and takes your Glock26 and all your sh*t. I will survive a little longer because roving gangs only want the most bestest pistol and my S&W is of no value to them. :lol2:

At least they will be able to find more mags and replace the ammo at a later date. I’m just happy I could help.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I thought the video was fine.

I’ve shared it before and I’ll share it again. BW will be along shortly with my rep. Everyone should own an AR-15 and a double stack 9mm Glock (You choose the model: 17, 19, 26, 34, 45). I’ll continue to carry a 1911 or my ratting old Gen1 Walther PPS, but you better believe I can shoot and provide support for the Glock.

I am sitting in a hotel room on Iowa. There is a Glock 26 in a travel safe that I keep in my luggage. It isn’t my carry gun. If a big bright flash appears in the sky and all the power goes out, I will have a pistol that is lightweight and accepts all sizes of the most common magazines.

The G26 taking all Glock 9mm mags is really big. I'm afraid I might have to put one on my list.

:)

Griz375

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2023
    The Mississippi's Eastern shore
    Kinda right there with you, If it goes bang I’m interested but from what I understand Glock barrels don’t like cast lead bullets which is 95 percent of what I shoot. Ergonomically I think they feel good but I’m not buying an after market barrel to suit my needs. And I agree that Glock accessories are available in every shape and form. Add to that, I’m pretty much a S&W kinda guy so there’s that......
    I know a guy who used to shoot nothing but cast out of his G22. I think the hardness matters and I know he cast his own.
    I'll see if I can find his email and ask for his recipe but I suspect it was more than 6% tin. I gave him my old cast recipe from way back when I was shooting PPC.

I'll let you know.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Similar here, I have standardized on 9 mm, 45 ACP, and 223/556.

Plus, I have all the reload tooling and components needed for the above in quantity.
    Lol. Im the other end of the spectrum.
    I buy brass,dies,bullets and Dillon conversions for calibers I dont own all the time if its a good deal.
    Many times I have been glad over the years that I bought odd ball stuff and it ends up getting used by me.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Bro, that's not my point. I'm not trying to win anything in favor of a glock. I don't even carry a glock. Lol. If somehow it can be proven that the 1911 or a P226 or whatever you want it to be was the most privately owned pistol then I'd say the same thing cause the concept doesn't change.
    I would guess it would be a Ruger MK1 -
    MK4 pistol.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I know a guy who used to shoot nothing but cast out of his G22. I think the hardness matters and I know he cast his own.
    I'll see if I can find his email and ask for his recipe but I suspect it was more than 6% tin. I gave him my old cast recipe from way back when I was shooting PPC.

I'll let you know.
    Thank you for that, I think bwframe might have have clued me into the legalize aspect of it. I’ve never tried shooting cast out of a glock because of the polygonal rifling which is why it is supposed to be the devil. I’m a rule follower which is why I usually finish last in everything and I don’t go around published data... yeah I know the internet and all. I would like your recipe though, I’ve got an itch for a G 43 after I shot a friend of mines. I love the grip angle and it shot great. Thanks to you and bw!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For what it’s worth I run coated lead bullets in all of my reloads. Whenever something doesn’t case gauge correctly I toss it in a box marked Glock food. Never had a problem.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Thank you for that, I think bwframe might have have clued me into the legalize aspect of it. I’ve never tried shooting cast out of a glock because of the polygonal rifling which is why it is supposed to be the devil. I’m a rule follower which is why I usually finish last in everything and I don’t go around published data... yeah I know the internet and all. I would like your recipe though, I’ve got an itch for a G 43 after I shot a friend of mines. I love the grip angle and it shot great. Thanks to you and bw!
    My sons have shot literally thousands on my cast lead reloads out of my 19C and 23C glock pistols over the years.
    One carries a 19 for work, I bought him a Gen 3 19 for him to shoot when hes home. He has easily shot a few thousand coated cast Summit City bullets along with my cast bullets out of it in the last 4-6 weeks while hes home for a bit. Zero leading issues.
    Me I'm not a huge glock fanboy, but it has yet to be cleaned, when it squeaks, he oils it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's pretty easy and cheap to have Glock 9mm mags sprinkled around. Mags that you can actually place and forget about.

My two vehicles and the motorcycle have loaded 33 and 17 rounds mags. 50 rounds, buried under other stuff. A given that there is always emergency ammo in the vehicle. Forgotten about until needed by me or you...

:cool:

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Simply because if SHTF happens and WE THE PEOPLE need to have some sort of militia then having a sidearm that most own with be of benefit for commonality and logistics purposes. You know, like every single nation's military now. I'll say this. Everyone having the same pistol in a SHTF situation may be of some benefit but the chances of me using a pistol when I have a long gun is slim to none. I think the more important logistic in that situation is that everyone has an AR
    The idea in the OP video is that common hardware in a common caliber makes logistics simpler (more easily supplied, serviced, modified, resupplied, supported, etc.) than uncommon hipster Gucci hardware in a less common caliber.

Such support will likely be more difficult in a lengthy SHTF scenario, and thus this criteria may be more advantageous than it is during normal times. Pretty simple straightforward stuff.
    Short of a full out civil war, as in states banding together and seceding. What kind of logistics/supply do either of you expect to have in a SHTF situation?

Commonality is a good thing, but I wouldn't be too concerned with what is most popular. More with commonality with family/friends/MSG/etc. The people you will most likely be fighting alongside, not what Joe three blocks down might have.

In all out civil war, best bet would be the most common in the NG or state militia such as the IN national guard reserve. What the states are most likely to have on hand to supply/resupply.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I despise the question “what is the best all around handgun?” I despise glock’s. I have none, and shoot none. But when asked that question, my response is always “Glock 19”….. “oh is that what you carry?”. “No. I hate Glocks. But it’s the best handgun ever made, bar none and I highly recommend it.” Just not for me.

Griz375

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2023
    The Mississippi's Eastern shore
    No joy - apparently he died of cancer about 3.5 years ago. I knew he had it but the last time we talked he was in remission.

It's an insidious, unrelenting bitch; took both my parents but I'm older than both were when they passed which is as much of a win as most can hope for I guess.

I understand not going outside published data but some time a little experimentation is required.

I'm pretty sure he mixed 6 to 7% tin in his cast bullets. We used 5.5% over moderate powder charges through M10, 586, M19 S&Ws plus my Trooper III. I think he started there but went up. He once said 6.25% didn't seem to be 'right'.

You're correct in the issue being lead through polygon rifling but Dennis was absolutely anal about cleaning & maintenance of his firearms. He was an old school GM Master Mechanic on the TH350/400 transmissions and had more gun tools and tech/armourer manuals than most gunsmiths.

Every firearm is somewhat different but this was the guy who had a M9 and a Beretta 92 to settle some question of which was 'stronger/better'.

I think I'd cast some @ 6.0, 6.25 and 6.5% then test and observe.

Do you have access to a Ransom Rest? Very handy when developing hand gun loads.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom