• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I went shooting today with my brothers and a couple other guys. And we all got into a discussion of carrying.

They all are pretty much on agreement that carrying a gun with no external safety, or whatever you call it, like a Glock, is the dumbest and unsafest thing to do.

I can never understand why people fear carrying a gun this way.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I went shooting today with my brothers and a couple other guys. And we all got into a discussion of carrying.

They all are pretty much on agreement that carrying a gun with no external safety, or whatever you call it, like a Glock, is the dumbest and unsafest thing to do.

I can never understand why people fear carrying a gun this way.

I would "NOT" carry a gun unless I can COCK-N-LOCK it;)

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Would they ever carry a revolver with all chambers loaded?

Methinks they either just don't understand the system, or are afraid of their own lack of gun safety. Either way, the situation should be rectified.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX

I guess all those cops and military personal are dumb and unsafe. Quick someone alert the media!

Not like an external safety is foolproof anyway. They do fail from time to time. And when/if they fail id prefer to be in the mindset that the safety wasn't there, than expect its working and had an unplanned-discharge.

Plus, glocks FTW :D

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    i think its just lack of trust or comfort on there part i carry a glock 19 with one in the pipe... i know glocks very well and there dangers but when shtf messing with a safety is the last thing i need to do if your not comfortable carrying a striker fire when consider a decocker or a revolver there are other choices

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    To each his own, but I think if you asked them why they believe an external safety is safer, they will reveal a distrust in their ability to properly deploy the weapon in a heated situation and hurt themselves or someone else.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    To each his own, but I think if you asked them why they believe an external safety is safer, they will reveal a distrust in their ability to properly deploy the weapon in a heated situation and hurt themselves or someone else.

I already knew they weren't right in the head when they said the Beretta 92FS is a much better gun than the Glock 19 and 17.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Its not like the thumb safety on a 1911 NEVER gets inadvertently disengaged. I dont make a habit of carrying cocked and unlocked, but I do make a habit of checking my safety from time to time, and have at least a few times found my love handle has fliped the safety.
    IMO, a glock would likely be safer in this argument, but as long as the trigger is not accessible, the gun shouldnt go bang.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Its not like the thumb safety on a 1911 NEVER gets inadvertently disengaged. I dont make a habit of carrying cocked and unlocked, but I do make a habit of checking my safety from time to time, and have at least a few times found my love handle has fliped the safety.
    IMO, a glock would likely be safer in this argument, but as long as the trigger is not accessible, the gun shouldnt go bang.

The 1911 is very S A F E:rockwoot:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have a fear of guns with external safety. :D
    It's not needed and that adds more parts that can go wrong.
    I see too many people who trust their external safety and THAT is dangerous.
    I trust my trigger discipline and it's all I need as far as safety goes.
    If you want to shoot you squeeze the trigger, if you dont want to shoot you keep your finger away from the trigger.
    Simple enough.Follow the 4 safety rules and you will never shoot yourself or someone else by accident even if your gun has a air trigger and no external safety.

BrandonM

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Morgan County

Plus 1! It takes a lot of time and practice to feel comfortable doing so, and they obvious are not to that point yet. Either way, atleast they are shooting!

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I find it odd, that people like or dislike guns based on features, safetys, etc...

And not on how well they shoot them.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I must say, this is my favorite option, but strangely I don't own one. :n00b:

I'm saving up for a P99. Of the ones that I've seen that are DA/SA that is my favorite. It fits my hand better than any other gun on the planet and I like the internal striker design better than the external hammer design. IS combined with a de-cocking mechanism combines for an almost 0% risk of ND from a drop. There was one for sale in the INGO classifieds a while ago, and I think it sold for $400 for the gun and 2 mags.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I won't carry a gun with an external safety, personally. Safety's are a false sense of security and if you don't treat a carry weapon like it can go off at any moment with a bad decision, you shouldn't carry. Just my $0.02.

(edit) And of course, my consistent edit... No offense to those who carry weapons with safeties who are safe regardless.. :)

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    From a recent personal experience I am gong to suggest you leave the de-cocker pistols alone. When firing in DA on your first shot it is very difficult to remain accurate while pulling that long, heavy trigger. I would suggest you carry a glock style of pistol for the speed factor.

Top Bottom