• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    i think its just lack of trust or comfort on there part i carry a glock 19 with one in the pipe... i know glocks very well and there dangers but when shtf messing with a safety is the last thing i need to do if your not comfortable carrying a striker fire when consider a decocker or a revolver there are other choices

I tried to read this about three or four times. Now I have a headache.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To each his own, but I think if you asked them why they believe an external safety is safer, they will reveal a distrust in their ability to properly deploy the weapon in a heated situation and hurt themselves or someone else.
    Very well said Que! Again, to each his own and at least they do carry and they carry in a way that they are comfortable with, but if you know how to properly handle firearms at all times and use your brain as safety #1 then a firearm with no external safety is just as safe. External safties can fail anyway, so the first safety you rely on should always be proper handling skills. :twocents:

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    sig p226... no external safety (except the trigger, decocker and to hell and back reliability)... greatest handgun on this planet. Inform your family with haste.:D

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I've taken some friends out shooting and they inevitably ask me where is/why isn't there a safety on the Glock. They all receive the same explanation that when they don't want to shoot the gun, they should keep their finger off of the ****ing trigger.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    To each his own, but I think if you asked them why they believe an external safety is safer, they will reveal a distrust in their ability to properly deploy the weapon in a heated situation and hurt themselves or someone else.

Which is essentially the same argument used by the Glock fanbois: they don't trust their ability to properly deploy the weapon and will be unable to get it into play.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I used to think that way till I got my Kel-Tec P-11, it's all about habit, make it a habit to not put your finger in the trigger guard, always assume it's loaded, I know now when ever I pick up my gun it's loaded, and if I want to show it to someone at home I unload it!, and of course if I need it, I habit!...(sorry had to put in a bad pun!)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I will not carry a gun WITH an external safety :) Forgetting to flip off the safety in a stressful situation...could get me killed. None of my handguns have an external safety.

Draw, aim, shoot...doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

You're not worried that you'll forget to pull the trigger? I've never understood why people are completely confident that they'll instinctively remember THAT finger twitch, but not that they'll remember the other one. If you've trained properly, the two actions should be equally ingrained and instinctive.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I think the best safety is your trigger finger and whats between your ears!!!!! If I was ever in a bad situation (hopefully I won't ever be in one) I wouldn't want to have to think about flipping a safety off.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I had a 357 MAGNUM REVOLVER in my glove box & father-in-law told me to give one of his employee a ride to go pick up the food my father-in-law had order for all of the employee, as I was backing out of the body shop, the crazy mother flecther, opened my glove box grab my gun & stuck the gun out the window & fired all six rounds. The safety is not for me, it's for those crazy MOFO that mite grab your gun

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'd rather have an external safety than a long heavy DA pull that functions as a safety.

Fortunately, there are designs that require neither.

Top Bottom