• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It sounds like it was designed to have a center support in the middle. It sounds like it wasn't in place at the moment of the collapse.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember the earthquakes out in CA where the multi level interstate collapsed, there were some miraculous stories of survival, never give up hope.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I remember the earthquakes out in CA where the multi level interstate collapsed, there were some miraculous stories of survival, never give up hope.
    I think there were some survivors in the cars on the lower level of the Bay Bridge. I also recall someone surviving for several days only to die after rescue. But those were the days of bench seats where you could get to the floorboard for survival space. I can't think of a modern car that doesn't have a center console which would prevent you from getting to the floor.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Was watching the news reporting and it appears that this was just a part of the bridge, the renderings they had showed that there was a significant superstructure running the length of the bridge that was supposed to be added. That makes the whole thing make a lot more sense, I was thinking that this was the completed product. Still, shouldn't be something that ever happens.

What I am thinking is it couldn't support its own weight w/o that super structure. Not sure why they thought it would.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    What I am thinking is it couldn't support its own weight w/o that super structure. Not sure why they thought it would.
    Yeah, the design appears to be that of a concrete I beam with circular steel reinforcement in the base. The circular steel was curious to me unless they were wanting it to be able to flex significantly without distortion. I suppose it is possible that without the superstructure adding rigidity that itflexed enough that some of the uprights to the roof failed. At that point it may have sagged to the point that one of the ends was drawn off the support column.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Holy Crap - I hope this isn't the same type of pedestrian bridge they are putting over 931 on the north side of Kokomo! It is part of a rails-to-trails project. Signs say 931 will be closed on or after 3/20/18.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Or Fargo's comment "someone did something to it" would be really messed up. Holy cow. That would be terrorism on the next level.

I don't see it. Very little bang for their buck. If it were open to pedestrian traffic, maybe. But still in the construction phase? Nah.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It wasn't finished.

Rendering from this article:

https://news.fiu.edu/2018/03/commun...ridge-move-across-southwest-8th-street/120395

RIA0BVM.jpg
    [/IMG]

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    There is a decent bit of reporting out there now that the failure occurred during a stress test, and that a crane cable may have snapped dropping a load of weights on to the top of the bridge. If true, I would say it was messed with, just not an intentional way.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    There is a decent bit of reporting out there now that the failure occurred during a stress test, and that a crane cable may have snapped dropping a load of weights on to the top of the bridge. If true, I would say it was messed with, just not an intentional way.

They did a stress test with traffic passing on the street below? Say what?

Top Bottom