• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    They did a stress test with traffic passing on the street below? Say what?

Yep, that would seem negligent (of course hindsight is 20/20, and I'm sure all kinds of tests like this occur with traffic, etc, but I'm sure this won't go well for the folks who made that decision). Should be some interesting law suits flying.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    ThereAre already videos out there, they are posted on most of the major news sites. It sounds like the stress test that was being done was by hanging a series of weights to make sure that there were no distortion’s out of spec. It also sounds like they were tensioning the cables in the lower slab to spec. If some of the reports are to be believed, it was a crane failure dropping something on to the bridge that I actually caused it.

I can say that on the traffic cam video that is widely out there, there does appear to be a hawser or cable swinging violently with nothing on the end at the top of the frame.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Cracks alone wouldn't cause a failure. The post-tensioning cables are significant to the span's performance under load. Perhaps they were detuned to some degree for transport purposes. But the cables hold the bridge span under load and the concrete benefits from such compression.

Lots of possibilities here. But the major failure was allowing traffic to move under the span in the midst of installation and test.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Looks like it failed where the crane was testing. Looking at other video on youtube shows a wrecking ball attached to that crane, and although the videos aren't very clear, the failure seems to occur when the ball touches the roof of the span. The failure appears to be within about 1m of this point.

Hard to be sure though.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Testing DURING traffic?! , that seems like a big no no to me. Someone is gonna get fired for sure. Unfortunately it wont help the people who lost their lives. :(

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah. Looking at some of the videos again, it looked like the crane had a wrecking ball attached before the failure. But I didn't see it swinging from the crane after the failure.

Was the crane contributory?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Might it be as simple as pulling the wrong lever?
    It did look like it first broke directly under that crane.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A witness said he saw something fail from the crane cable and fall onto the bridge right before collapse.

i wonder if testing during traffic was because of local protest to have road closed during construction. Seems they went out of their way to get it up with minimal traffic disruption. Just sad.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Who certified that crane?

Who authorized traffic during the test? Is that an industry standard?

Somebody's insurance company just cancelled the profit sharing checks and the stock dividend.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Holy Crap - I hope this isn't the same type of pedestrian bridge they are putting over 931 on the north side of Kokomo! It is part of a rails-to-trails project. Signs say 931 will be closed on or after 3/20/18.

Where at? Just north of Sycamore by Menards?

Top Bottom