• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The reason for the traffic.. simple. People don't want to be "inconvenienced".
    They could have set up a time, during low traffic hours, announce ahead of time that the road would be closed, give themselves plenty of estimated time - better than running over allotted time.
    But now, then Mr and Mrs Schmuckatelli would be inconvenienced, and we wouldn't want that.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    They could have set up a time, during low traffic hours, announce ahead of time that the road would be closed, give themselves plenty of estimated time - better than running over allotted time.
    But now, then Mr and Mrs Schmuckatelli would be inconvenienced, and we wouldn't want that.

And now Mr and Mrs Schmuckatelli are dead under the bridge :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And now Mr and Mrs Schmuckatelli are dead under the bridge :dunno:

But they are not "inconvenienced".

Also known as "acceptable loss".
    Someone, or some people got together.
    A desk jockey for the government, a salesman for a company, and maybe an engineer.
    Comments made.. we need to do this with minimal traffic interruption
    can we or should we find someone else.
    No we can do it
    There will be no problems?
    There shouldn't be. The chances are infinitesimally low.
    I wouldn't worry about it, we've ran all the numbers.
    Okay, then do it

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yup just like the challenger disatour and lots others before and in the future. Nothing is certain except DEATH.
    So enjoy the small amount of time u have cause every second is one less second u have.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Same things happen with your electricity.
    Don't take the grid down.
    Send in a man to do the work "live".
    Good for the customer.
    Can be rough on the worker.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    But they are not "inconvenienced".

Also known as "acceptable loss".
    Someone, or some people got together.
    A desk jockey for the government, a salesman for a company, and maybe an engineer.
    Comments made.. we need to do this with minimal traffic interruption
    can we or should we find someone else.
    No we can do it
    There will be no problems?
    There shouldn't be. The chances are infinitesimally low.
    I wouldn't worry about it, we've ran all the numbers.
    Okay, then do it

I'm agreeing with you. It may not have come across that way

I would rather be inconvenienced than dead under that bridge.
    Mr and Mrs Schmuckatelli's family will now be very rich, because they couldn't be inconvenienced

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Exactly. It already said they used an innovating lift system to cut down traffic inconvenience. I bet that was something the local politicians forced them to do in order to get a permit

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Exactly. It already said they used an innovating lift system to cut down traffic inconvenience. I bet that was something the local politicians forced them to do in order to get a permit

I read that this bridge building technique is something that FIU was pushing as a school project. FIU has a college of engineering. Whose diplomas' credibility just took a hit.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The SJ crowd rushes in, does some misleading, then runs away...

Leonor Flores Wants You to Know She Didn't Build Miami Bridge (So Get Over It)

I would not be one bit surprised to learn that she really did not have anything to do with this project. The original article, meme, poster or whatever it was may well have been a fluff piece to promote women in STEM fields and used her simply as the face of inclusion. As I said in another thread, on the other hand, if she did have a hand in this project, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen certain people protected from blame, even if they had a portion (to one extent or another) coming to them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    [video=youtube_share;GxQJj8D_FE0]https://youtu.be/GxQJj8D_FE0[/video]

Another video. The crane "failure" is clearer. That is actually a workman! on the roof section of the bridge either tightening or loosening the truss cable. When the bridge collapses, his harness (which appears to be attached to the crane) fails and the workman follows the roof down to the ground. He is slightly delayed in his fall due to the initial resistance of his harness.

That's the most recent view I've seen. It still isn't all that clear, but it's better info than what we had on day 0.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    [video=youtube_share;GxQJj8D_FE0]https://youtu.be/GxQJj8D_FE0[/video]

Another video. The crane "failure" is clearer. That is actually a workman! on the roof section of the bridge either tightening or loosening the truss cable. When the bridge collapses, his harness (which appears to be attached to the crane) fails and the workman follows the roof down to the ground. He is slightly delayed in his fall due to the initial resistance of his harness.

That's the most recent view I've seen. It still isn't all that clear, but it's better info than what we had on day 0.

As someone who has worn a harness, my guess is he didn't have it on correctly. It seems to me the harness is still attached to the crane and he falls out of it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Done proper, he'd be twirling like Peter Pan.
    Some of those older harnesses will save your life but give a wedgie that you wish you had died.

Top Bottom