• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    But you have to had put the harness on, correctly. People often will take shortcuts on tasks that they have done over and over with no problems.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, if I remember the numbers right, they assume a 250 or 300 pound man in a harness will fall and stop, even with the stitching lessoning the shock, and need to be anchored to a tie off point able to restrain 5,000 pounds.

Railings and pipes are a big No-No.

That is with a stitched harness.

It get's better with a retractable inertia lanyard.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    But you have to had put the harness on, correctly. People often will take shortcuts on tasks that they have done over and over with no problems.

I guess that's what I meant when I posted that. I've been known to cut corners when putting on a harness. I was also given a harness once, but no lanyard to tie it to the lift.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I guess that's what I meant when I posted that. I've been known to cut corners when putting on a harness. I was also given a harness once, but no lanyard to tie it to the lift.

People will often not tighten down the straps.
    Or snap the buckle on cross chest strap.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    After looking at that part of the video several times, I'm with Woobie, that guy appears to come out of the harness without as much resistance as you'd expect to see if he was strapped in properly and was forcefully ripped out. As he falls, he just slips right out, and it doesn't appear that the hydraulic tensioner or anything else hung up on him.

Sidenote: I remember, during my days working for a construction engineering co., it was my job to verify that cables were adequately tensioned, in the post-tensioned concrete building slabs we were working with. The worker would hook up his hydraulic tensioner to the cable and draw the cable out until the dial hit the spec. Then, I'd record the dial reading, and then measure how far out the cable was pulled. On one slab, we didn't know that the cable had been moved during the concrete pour, making a slight bend in one spot. When the guy was just getting up to spec, pulling the cable, with the hydraulic puller whining at a higher and higher pitch, suddenly there was a sound like an explosion, and about a 3-foot diameter chunk of concrete blew about 15-feet into the air and came back down with a thud. We both about crapped our pants.

I wonder if there might have been a similar problem with the cable in that bridge member.

Top Bottom