• ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Overall opinion: meh

However - it does make me question the choice. Walking in and amongst a bunch of fired casings with essentially covering your feet is a pretty easy way to step on an upturned case just right (wrong?) and get a really really nice puncture wound.

Wearing flip flops when you're out and about and the ish hits the fan is one thing... But to automatically put yourself at adverse risk for puncture wounds of stuff that's been sitting in and on the ground for who knows how long? THAT makes me question the decision-making skills of the individual.

To further muddy the water: If this was strictly a marksmanship / accuracy class - then double-meh. But if it was any kind of SD class involving movement in and amongst a ton of range brass on the ground - then things get hinky.

Exactly. Almost all classes have rules on what you wear to a class (like hearing protection and eye pro) and many have recommendations on clothing to avoid injury. Flip flops in a shooting class is stupid.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had rounds impact the gravel near my feet. It's not common or expected, but it does happen. Can't imagine what that gravel/shrapnel splatter might be on an exposed foot?

I was instructed years ago about the vulnerability of exposed feet in a physical attack. 200 pound attacker gets his weight behind vibram soles on your bare toes and you will be slowed down for a bit.

How tough would it be to retain your weapon in a hand to hand fight for it, with a cheese grader boot sole anchoring your bare foot?

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    CampingJosh hit it several posts back... Very few jobs/scenarios where flip-flops are appropriate footwear.

Now, I suppose taking some sort of shooting class in the tropics, on sand, where everyone is in Bermuda shorts and Hawaiian shirts, would make it less inappropriate. Footwear that actually stays on your foot when moving would still seem to be a better choice.

You only get one chance at a first impression.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    CampingJosh hit it several posts back... Very few jobs/scenarios where flip-flops are appropriate footwear.

Now, I suppose taking some sort of shooting class in the tropics, on sand, where everyone is in Bermuda shorts and Hawaiian shirts, would make it less inappropriate. Footwear that actually stays on your foot when moving would still seem to be a better choice.

You only get one chance at a first impression.

This. Or he shows up at a mixer the evening before the class starts. Thats cool. But AT a class? Unprofessional.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Combat Flip Flops and an All Skill No Luck Drug Rug makes one Operator As ****! Add a Combat Flip Flip Claymore Bag, And it’s over! Josh Brolin will be modeling all this in Sicario X “Day of the Douche”

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    For all the “what if” scenarios in the world shooters come up with you choose flip flops for your footwear choice? I have seen this on the instagrams but one main instructor...look at “deeclined” on Instagram or “Core Vision Training”

How are you demoing anything movement related with flip flops? So stagnant shooting drills is all I signed up for?

You are your own family’s executive protection everyday and I don’t see any contractors wearing flip flops protecting their client let alone their flesh and blood

The instructor might be a GM and/or MIL background. If that guy or gal shows up to a class I paid for it’s going to show me that they’re not about to put a lot of effort into the class. Too much “chill” attitude on the range. I came here to learn and get to business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Nice find Mike. This is the kind of subject where some folks think a lot might be gleaned about someone's relative preparedness and readiness to deal with exigent contingencies based on how they dress. Flip flops and board shorts are for the beach....and that's about it. A flip flop shod foot is a target indicator for some people..... What is we say you tell the players by their shoes and watches?

Of course unarmed people with trendy tattoos standing around in flip flops and board shorts telling anyone who will listen how bad ass they are is one of my pet peeves. Everyone's a bad ass until some ruthless dude in real shoes stomps their exposed toes and shreds the skin from them...but hey , those flops are comfy and all that....:cool:

I do NOT agree that ALL instructors don't practice what they preach. Some are actually true believers not hypocrites. Some of us actually do pay attention to our surroundings, wear sensible footwear, keep a cell phone , flashlight, knife, blow out kit , and a REAL full size pistol AND a spare mag concealed on us every time we leave the house, keep a larger medical kit and other equipment in our vehicle, and actually PRACTICE our skills and actually do dry fire work everyday...unless I'm outside the USA where I cannot have a gun with me. But hey if you want to roll with the flip flops and sell people a bill of goods that you don't believe in enough to actually follow in your own personal life then rock on. You keep doin' you...I'll do me.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I agree with Randy about all instructors not practicing what they preach, but then again I vet people I take classes from and flip flop wearing would make me go somewhere else.
    If I am am wearing flip flops it is around the house and going from the hotel room to the pool. Many times I have considered wearing them home from the range or a match because I really want to take my shoes off after a 14 hour day, but I don't because I want to be prepared in case something happens on the way home. I have tried to pound it into my kids that decent shoes should be worn in public at all time.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I agree with Randy about all instructors not practicing what they preach, but then again I vet people I take classes from and flip flop wearing would make me go somewhere else.
    If I am am wearing flip flops it is around the house and going from the hotel room to the pool. Many times I have considered wearing them home from the range or a match because I really want to take my shoes off after a 14 hour day, but I don't because I want to be prepared in case something happens on the way home. I have tried to pound it into my kids that decent shoes should be worn in public at all time.

Coach, I agree with you all the way. But, I am curious what prompted this post. Did you run into on of the flip floppin instructors or just see one on social media. Or, were you considering making the flops part of the Intermediate Pistol Course I still hope to get into at the end of the month? :):

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    Flip flops are not my style...mainly because I hate flip flops...but hey, if I learn a ton from the instructor...I'm good with whatever he / she wants to wear.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And the more I think about it, it can also be context. I'd be fine seeing Mas, Pincus, Clint, etc on video giving sage advice/hot take in a cold range or classroom, or park bench. My problem is wearing them where they shouldn't be; a range, during a live class, etc.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You forgot your third situation: wrestling whitetail does.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    You forgot your third situation: wrestling whitetail does.

That was in 2004 I think. I stopped wearing them out and about at that time. One of my injuries would not have been so bad had I been wearing proper shoes. Some lessons are learned the hard way.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Coach, I agree with you all the way. But, I am curious what prompted this post. Did you run into on of the flip floppin instructors or just see one on social media. Or, were you considering making the flops part of the Intermediate Pistol Course I still hope to get into at the end of the month? :):

I will not be wearing flip flops in that class.

Ny question was educational.

Top Bottom