• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    Some people's feet just need to breath. There is a practical rifle match here where one of the regulars shows up at the gravel pit wearing flip flops and shorts. Even if its raining. The guy is a former Marine and does very well.

As long as the flip flops are black and are "tactical flip flops" I think it's all good right.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Lot of people saying flip-flops are okay on here. Which is fine when you're talking about feelings. But when you're talking about safety and Toes getting burned with hot brass not okay at all

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've seen people wearing flipflops in firefights. The enemy didn't get it any easier.
    Generally i hate flipflops. I think they are sloppy unless at the pool or beach or shower.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Hot brass between toes with a lot of people that are not combat veterans on the line in a class. Is the proverbial accident looking for the place to happen. It puts everyone on the Range in danger. And an instructor wearing them sets a really bad example.

I teach a lot of new and novice shooters. I have seen many examples of hot brass make gun handling go south in a heartbeat. Experienced shooters it is much more rare for that to be a problem. They handle being burnt by brass much much better.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    In this era of shortcuts....Flip Flops, Krocs, sandals, thongs, loafers, will all have to wait until I‘m too sick or lazy to tie my shoes to track the urban landscape.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    This thread makes me want to wear flip flops even more. A firearms instructor wearing them? Yeah, not great. But it cracks me up how many grown men care so much about the footwear others choose.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    This thread makes me want to wear flip flops even more. A firearms instructor wearing them? Yeah, not great. But it cracks me up how many grown men care so much about the footwear others choose.

Some of this is not really good or bad as we all have our opinions as we are free to do so. However, the choices we make help to expose and define who we are.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's really about credibility. Wearing flip flops while instructing self defense makes one not credible. :twocents:

Kinda like me talking about scoring at the top of the score sheet. :)

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Given all of this, if Pat McNamara chose to teach a class wearing flip flops . . . I think people would still listen to him.

A teacher's foundation, background, and reputation are going to significantly affect whether or not they judged by the average student for deviating from expectations. The "bigger" they are, the less such things are going to matter to the average student.

It's also context- and culture-dependent. If it were 1967 in the jungles of Vietnam, a fella wearing black pajamas and flip flops training other guys in black outfits wearing flip flops how to operate their SKS and small unit tactics isn't going to be affected much by the lack of formal footwear.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've had pairs that resembled these....

mi9zKqW.jpg

Oh... and I found this.

I have said this a few times lately, but it really is important to “train how you fight.” A long time ago, I was working on the “Lifesaving” merit badge. I had the fastest rescue time in part due to my ability to kick off flip flops much faster than the other kids could remove their shoes. Someone complained to a counselor, who said, “Andrew always wears flip flops, so he should wear them here, too.” The same principle applies to concealed carry.

https://vuurwapenblog.com/uncategorized/why-i-wear-flip-flops-while-shooting/

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    It's really about credibility. Wearing flip flops while instructing self defense makes one not credible. :twocents:

Kinda like me talking about scoring at the top of the score sheet. :)

Or lack of credibility. Call me judgemental, a dinosaur, old fashioned, I could care less. We're not talking about 1967 or a guy in black jammies.Teaching firearms is a "profession" and flip flops scream unprofessional and a lack of respect to the students. For me personally if, for example Clint Smith shows up in flip flops I'm gone. Respect is earned and someone I'm paying to be a professional that demonstrates that they are unprofessional won't get my respect.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Flip flops, thongs, or shower shoes, means less to me than the lesson to be taught and learned. If PMac shows up in shower shoes, my first thought would be, “ I missed the uniform of the day memo”? And then I would correct myself. Self defense doesn’t always happen in your “fighting attire”. Everyone says “train like you fight”, but PMac also says, “nobody shows up to class in their boxers”? Who is right? Who is wrong? Odds are, my “Boogaloo” starts and stops in or around my house. I will be in house clothes, maybe even flip flops, but, my Boogaloo will end well for me. Of that I am certain! Footwear chosen be damned.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In the warm season, I spend a lot of time barefoot at home or on the water. Some nut even started a thread about barefoot in the preparedness forum.

Ironically, after starting that thread, I picked up a quick side landscaping gig this summer. My shoes were continually web and destructed towards the end of the job. Last hour of shovel/wheelbarrel work was barefoot.

That said, it's not a smart idea to intentionally leave your feet vulnerable to attack or harm while defending you and yours. Even a simple stubbed toe could hinder your ability to function when needed. Let alone bullet shrapnel.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Given all of this, if Pat McNamara chose to teach a class wearing flip flops . . . I think people would still listen to him.

A teacher's foundation, background, and reputation are going to significantly affect whether or not they judged by the average student for deviating from expectations. The "bigger" they are, the less such things are going to matter to the average student.

It's also context- and culture-dependent. If it were 1967 in the jungles of Vietnam, a fella wearing black pajamas and flip flops training other guys in black outfits wearing flip flops how to operate their SKS and small unit tactics isn't going to be affected much by the lack of formal footwear.

If you win 20 in the Show then you can let the fungus grow back on your shower shoes and the press will think you are colorful. Until then it means you are a slob.

Is this what you mean?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you win 20 in the Show then you can let the fungus grow back on your shower shoes and the press will think you are colorful. Until then it means you are a slob.

Is this what you mean?

Uh . . . maybe? I don't understand!

Top Bottom