• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    If the timeline linked is accurate, 3 minutes and murderer dropped rifle and blended into the chaos? I see nothing about time of first 9-1-1 call. Police failed? Failed to do what? When?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The FBI failed, they admitted that today. I'm not yet sure how the local law enforcement and school administration come into play.

There certainly was a lot of head turning to an obvious problem that didn't have to happen had somebody done something though.

See something, say something happened a lot here and nothing was done.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Politics and optics aside, why is it the FBI's place? What law was broken leading up to this, and what made it federal jurisdiction?

I'd note the 911 calling granny who reported the potential school shooting to the locals got results. There's a reason 911 doesn't go to the FBI.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Politics and optics aside, why is it the FBI's place? What law was broken leading up to this, and what made it federal jurisdiction?

I'd note the 911 calling granny who reported the potential school shooting to the locals got results. There's a reason 911 doesn't go to the FBI.

Credible threats of violence on the Internet would cross state lines and thus be a Federal issue, no?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...why is it the FBI's place? What law was broken leading up to this, and what made it federal jurisdiction?

Understood, it's nobody's fault. :rolleyes:

That's why we are talking about in now, over dead kids.

Also why we are entering another fight to keep our 2A rights...

See something / say something = do nothing...

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I'm not sure but weren't they notified because of social media threats? I agree that under normal circumstances, this ought to be a local issue. But once something is on social media and it is therefore crossing state lines (like if someone from out of state saw the threat and reported it) it becomes a federal problem? Maybe not their case, don't know, but they should at least route the information to the proper local authorities.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    130,000 schools in the US * 3 hired guards making, what , $30k / year (from salary.com for security guards). That's just for one shift. Do we need them on-duty for evenings and weekends? Who provides security for choir practice? Ball games? Is that salary competitive on the coasts? What about training costs? Equipment costs?

$11,700,000,000, and that is on the very, very low side.

Better start voting for those school ballot initiatives! Only an additional $92 for each and every household in the US (assuming each household actually pays some sort of tax).

If money is an issue, get the faculty to be trained and carry. It might still cost but you can't put a price to your child's life.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The sad reality is - we are not safe, anywhere! Even in our own homes. We are safer, but not safe.

That is why we have 911, fire extinguishers, and firearms. To deal with the extremely unlikely situation that may require the use of lifesaving equipment.

Like the olde question, "How do you get a bunch of Russian sailors off their submarine?"

Say I want to shoot up a bunch of kids. I recon the school. I can't get in, it's like a bunker, so I have to get them out. But how? I find a kid that seems to do what he wants. "Hey kid, I'll give you $100 if you help me pull a prank. Just pull the fire alarm at X O'clock. It'll be a helluva laugh."

Then at X time when the alarm goes off and protocols engage leading all the little targets to line up in nice, orderly rows...:shoot:

We are not safe. We are never safe. Ignore a gun. A van full of fertilizer and diesel fuel in the school parking lot, right where they're lined up.

This is the reality that well meaning, decent, intelligent people don't want to face, that we must always be vigilant to deal with issues ourselves, to minimize the damage done by a hostile force, whether that be a lone shooter or an out of control kitchen fire.

The reality is that we cannot as a society productively make headway on this, or any issue, until the majority of us can recognize the potential problem. That is the hard part. Problems are often easy to solve once they are identified and acknowledged. The biggest issue to for many to acknowledge them.

Regards,

Doug

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So does the FBI have a mission statement?

They seem to be involved in everything or is it just me?

Obviously some want them to be. Unless they don't. Then they shouldn't be. Except when they should. There's a pretty obvious movement to discredit the FBI for political purposes.

I'm not sure but weren't they notified because of social media threats? I agree that under normal circumstances, this ought to be a local issue. But once something is on social media and it is therefore crossing state lines (like if someone from out of state saw the threat and reported it) it becomes a federal problem? Maybe not their case, don't know, but they should at least route the information to the proper local authorities.

Neither threats nor murder are typically a Federal issue. Specifics can change that, threats that involve extortion or demand for ransom or murder for hire could fall under the Feds, for example. I've dealt with witness Intimidation via social media via local charges, it's just another venue for threats.

Again, there's a reason 911 doesn't go to the FBI.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Absolutely. A murderer that has been telling everyone that would listen his intentions for a long time, until he actually did it.

Maybe somebody should have listened? Apparently, it's no one's job. :xmad:

Local PD? Sheriff's Dept? Family doctor, who at least in our state can start the process for a mental writ? Information is useless if it's not in the right hands. Would you report the hijacking of a plane to the Border Patrol? Tax fraud to the local PD? Then complain it's nobody's job?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Local PD? Sheriff's Dept? Family doctor, who at least in our state can start the process for a mental writ? Information is useless if it's not in the right hands. Would you report the hijacking of a plane to the Border Patrol? Tax fraud to the local PD? Then complain it's nobody's job?

YES. I would expect any person of authority, including school officials, medical and especially ANY law enforcement to make sure a credible threat to life is followed up on.

There is simply no room for red tape here. Hopefully that will be learned from this tragedy.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    YES. I would expect any person of authority, including school officials, medical and especially ANY law enforcement to make sure a credible threat to life is followed up on.

There is simply no room for red tape here. Hopefully that will be learned from this tragedy.

Monday morning quarterbacking is a real thing. How thoroughly do want LE to investigate threats, and are you willing to put up with what doing so would entail. I got a hunch that you wouldn't.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I would imagine there are a few power hungry folks in the agency that are busy pursuing personal/political agendas and need to be gone so the real men and women can do their jobs.

Well look at this this way. Christopher Wray, a Trump appointment, has only headed the agency since August of last year. If one is to believe that James Comey and Mueller ruined the good name of the FBI, how much time do you think is needed for the new guy to clean up that mess? Don't you kinda think people may be jumping the gun on a guy who hasn't really had the time to make that agency his own yet?

Top Bottom