• ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Surprise, surprise......

Records show Drejka does not have a criminal history in Florida, although the Sheriff’s Office had prior contact with him in 2012 when a driver accused him of pulling a gun during a road rage incident. Drejka denied he showed the gun, and the accuser declined to press charges...

It wasn’t the first time he saw Drejka in a fight with another customer. A couple of months back, Rick Kelly stopped by the store, parking his tanker truck in the same handicap spot.

The details to Thursday’s incident are similar: Drejka walking around the truck checking for decals, then confronting Kelly, 31, about why he parked there. The fight escalated, and Drejka threatened to shoot him, Kelly said.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/publi...rgument-over-handicap-parking-space_170174041

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It is always getting the "backstory" that sheds light on any situation.
    The fact that the "old" man acted like a jerk in the past does take away some sympathies.

But the facts: the old man was severely accosted by a young man in his prime and was done so very violently: this was not a "get-your-attention" shove.

His shoulder could have been "torn" by the fall (I toppled over on a motorcycle once on payment and it tore my shoulder and couldn't hardly move it for years and I am very restrictived in movement), he could have hit his head on the pavement, and I could go on.

Still: no sympathy for the attacker.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I agree. I don’t see this being a life threatening situation. Given, a young guy can usually do a lot of damage to an older man, and had he been in the process of that I would agree with his defensive stance. This was not self defense imo.

What I wonder is, if the young guy saw him pull a gun and pulled his own and shot would that have been justified?

I think no. In the states I am most familiar with, you cannot be the aggressor and be given the presumption of a good shoot when things escalate. This would go to a jury

That being said, they were both aggressors in my mind and either one should faced 12 if they used a weapon. I really don't know enough to say for sure, but it sounds like the gun may have made the shooter brave beyond common sense

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think no. In the states I am most familiar with, you cannot be the aggressor and be given the presumption of a good shoot when things escalate. This would go to a jury

That being said, they were both aggressors in my mind and either one should faced 12 if they used a weapon. I really don't know enough to say for sure, but it sounds like the gun may have made the shooter brave beyond common sense

This. The shooter forgot or never knew that you win every fight you don't have.
    IMO, when you strap on a gun, you give up the option of shouting at stupid or inconsiderate people. Parking in a handicapped spot when you aren't handicapped is an ugly thing to do; when you're carrying a gun, you shouldn't shout at people for being ugly.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    IMO, when you strap on a gun, you give up the option of shouting at stupid or inconsiderate people. Parking in a handicapped spot when you aren't handicapped is an ugly thing to do; when you're carrying a gun, you shouldn't shout at people for being ugly.

This is probably the most agreeable thing to come out of this "discussion" yet. The anti's LOVE this kind of stuff; "See we told you. . . .a fight over a parking spot turned into the shootout at the circle A". My whole demeanor changes when I'm carrying. I don't let obnoxious *******s bother me near as much as they do when I'm not carrying! I'm constantly reminding myself what the item hanging on my hip is for and it's not to use it as backup when I'm acting the part of douche nozzle! Unfortunately there are too many *******s like this shooter that carry it because they're "tough".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Winner.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is probably the most agreeable thing to come out of this "discussion" yet. The anti's LOVE this kind of stuff; "See we told you. . . .a fight over a parking spot turned into the shootout at the circle A".
    Ahh but this isn't what happened. Someone got shot because they knocked a guy four feet across a parking lot and continued to advance on the downed person.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It is always getting the "backstory" that sheds light on any situation.
    The fact that the "old" man acted like a jerk in the past does take away some sympathies.

But the facts: the old man was severely accosted by a young man in his prime and was done so very violently: this was not a "get-your-attention" shove.

His shoulder could have been "torn" by the fall (I toppled over on a motorcycle once on payment and it tore my shoulder and couldn't hardly move it for years and I am very restrictived in movement), he could have hit his head on the pavement, and I could go on.

Still: no sympathy for the attacker.

Ahh but this isn't what happened. Someone got shot because they knocked a guy four feet across a parking lot and continued to advance on the downed person.
    You guys are not helping the self-defense community by spinning the story the VERY SAME you criticize the anti's for spinning their stories.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You guys are not helping the self-defense community by spinning the story the VERY SAME you criticize the anti's for spinning their stories.
    I'm not sure we can hep the self-defense community anyway. If we give in that the shooter was not justified then it's ammo for the anti gun crowd. If we argue that it was justified then we are now behaving like they do? What should the narrative be? I'll give you that it's a very firm shade of grey on whether it was justified or not and if it went to a jury I could see it going either way. All parties involved made poor decisions. I'm only focusing on the five seconds or so from knock down to shooting. If you start to pull in the rest of the story things get muddy in a hurry and this is where the justice system has to sort things out.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Rep nazis won’t let me get you again.

Thats exactly how I feel about it. The “old guy” has a history of looking for confrontations, the young guy became the physical aggressor, both were the aggressors. I guess that’s why I asked if the young guy pulled the gun after a weapon was presented if he would be justified. I guess since he started the physical aggression it wouldn’t be justified. Guy was obviously looking for trouble.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I just struggle to see a stand your ground defense or lack of charges for this. Age alone doesnt sway me one way or the other. But the term "OLD" typically isnt going to apply to that age unless they have a rare disorder that speeds up aging. However people who are younger can have health issues that make them frail and vulnerable and therefore more likely to get a pass on deadly force use. Also a woman is going to get a pass everyday if she shoots a guy that's 6' tall and assaulting her, but a guy of similar hight and build wouldnt get the same pass. It's how it is whether it's right or wrong.
    If I was this guy I wouldht want this to go to a jury unless he is REALLY physically ****ed up and felt like he was about to pass out and get gang beat.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Instead of denying the shooter was in the wrong by a few seconds I think it is better to admit it and try to educate others. It helps one maintain credibility when you admit mistakes, nobody is perfect.

Police shootings are questioned all the time and there are INGOers who are LEOs that will call out a questionable shoot, knowing it give others ammunition against them, pointing out what was done wrong and how it should have been handled. Their honest opinions are appreciated and respected. We as gun owners need to do the same.

I do not want to become like the parent who believes their child can do no wrong that is surprised when they end up in jail.

:twocents:

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    My question is if this guy had a history of looking for confrontations over parking spaces, and was now found to be "justified" in his actions, then how long till "round 2"?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    No, the woman parking illegally started the fiasco.

The shooter has a history of road rage and threatening to shoot people. I think I'm pretty safe in saying that he started the fiasco. And I'm pretty sure that his history is allowed as evidence in a civil trial.

It's a shame that there isn't some kind of government agency that the shooter could have called to report such a heinous crime as illegal parking.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    This was murder. Straight up. Typical John Wayne wanna be cowboy looking for some action. Due to his history I'd say premed should be a thought to

Top Bottom