• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    Ballistic gel is one thing...and it tells a big tale. But go shoot some steel from 5-7 yards with a 5.7 and then shoot that same steel with a .40 or .45ACP. the difference is INCREDIBLE. And you'll never give the 5.7 a second thought....you'll stick the bigger rounds without a doubt.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The local shop here were I live these are the best thing since sliced bread to him. Tries to get me to buy one every time I go pistol looking there. I admit they are neat, but not for the price. Or not to me for that price. My GF wants one but I dont want to get her something thats kinda tough to get ammo for around were I live. Not to mention being able to afford ammo enough to practice with and plink with at the range. I think Im gonna try and get her a PMR30 or something along those lines. Those have hardley no recoil at all which is why she liked about the FN 5.7. Of course the shop owner let her shoot his personal gun. So now thats all she talks about wanting. They are a really nice gun, i just think there might be better choices for SD and a range toy which is what she would be using it for.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    It's a neat novelty gun, but the caliber isn't practical for things like self defense IMHO. There are some decent SD loads out there, but they're pretty expensive. Many people buy the ever present FN branded Hornady ammo with the VMAX bullets and think it's a good carry cartridge...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDQmmqszUmY[/ame]

It's really not. It doesn't penetrate nearly enough to be effective in my experience - even from a 10" barrel.

I would rather have 17 rounds of 9mm with a good load than anything offered for the 5.7. But it's a neat pistol, definitely cutting edge.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I'm going to preface this with the statement that it is better to have and not need, than it is to need and not have.

That said, anyone complaining about the lack of killing ability of the 5.7x28 that isn't a police officer or active military, what are the chances you are going to find out that the round works, or doesn't. Yes there is a possibility that you will need a self defense pistol as I know too well, but there is a better chance that the only time you will ever fire your weapon will be at a target for pleasure.

That said, if anyone here want's the FNH Five-seveN, buy it, not worrying about whether it is going to do the job in the event that you need it for protection before lightning strikes you. Buy it because it is a ton of fun to fire, very accurate, and low recoil.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    That said, if anyone here want's the FNH Five-seveN, buy it, not worrying about whether it is going to do the job in the event that you need it for protection before lightning strikes you. Buy it because it is a ton of fun to fire, very accurate, and low recoil.
    Yup, pretty much what I said. It's a neat novelty gun. I had one but ultimately traded it for something I deemed to be a bit more useful, and something I could reload for. But I've kept my PS90 and SBR'ed it. While it would likely be the last long gun I took into a fight, I still enjoy shooting it occasionally and people always seem to get a kick out of shooting it.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    5.7 X 28 not good for SD

I'm not too quick to call the 5.7 round an ineffective round. If you doubt the round I suggest you google Fort Hood shooter weapon used. That round did a horrific amount of damage.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    It's interesting how people cite the Ft. Hood shooting as an example of how effective the 5.7 round is.

43 people were shot, 13 died. Thank God he didn't have a 9mm, .40 S&W or a .45 ACP as the fatalities would likely have been higher.

Last edited:

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    It's interesting how people cite the Ft. Hood shooting as an example of how effective the 5.7 round is.

43 people were shot, 13 died. Thank God he didn't have a 9mm, .40 S&W or a .45 ACP as the fatalities would likely have been higher.

Wonder if that had more to do with his shot placement and the fact they were on a military base where the majority of the people have first aid training.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN

Its because not to many people can afford a 1K gun to commit crimes with.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Its really like anything else I guess. You will have people that like it or not. I think its a neat concept of that type of round in a pistol form. But what does it for me is the ammo price. I personaly would not be able to afford enough ammo to practice with, to get good at shooting it and feel comfortable enough to carry the wepon. I would just have a hard time justifying the price of the ammo and pistol, without really seeing anymore added benifits over my 1911 or M&P (soon to be had) as a carry weapon.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    Full-Auto : Don't take my post personally, I do enjoy your videos :)
    I just have a problem with people thinking whats good for them is whats good for everyone else.
    I didn't have a problem with this until a good friend of mine went to the old H&H in Fort Wayne 4 years ago.
    They sold him a Glock 23 because "the police use Glocks and 40S&W is better than 9mm but more rounds than a 45ACP".
    My friend is 75 with really bad arthritis.
    So guess what happened when I took him out to shoot his brand new gun for the first time?
    1 - He could not push the rounds into the magazine
    2 - He could not rack the slide
    3 - He could not press the slide stop lever down
    4 - He could not press the magazine button in far enough to drop the mag
    5 - Because of his age and arthritis, his hand hurt him for an entire week after shooting one magazine.

This was also the LAST time he went shooting.
    He now plays golf on his free time and I can't get him to go shooting anymore.
    What did I learn?
    Whats good for you may not for everyone else!

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    I like the Fiveseven but it does have its draw backs.
    One big one is it is very light.
    So light that you will have to shoot it differently than you would a Glock or Sig.
    If you can not get use to it, you will have to shoot it with a tac light on in order to get POI correct.
    Ammo is harder to get.

Last edited:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    This is a 5.7:

762996598_GGFRY-L.jpg

Last edited:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Full-Auto : Don't take my post personally, I do enjoy your videos :)
    I just have a problem with people thinking whats good for them is whats good for everyone else.
    I didn't have a problem with this until a good friend of mine went to the old H&H in Fort Wayne 4 years ago.
    They sold him a Glock 23 because "the police use Glocks and 40S&W is better than 9mm but more rounds than a 45ACP".
    My friend is 75 with really bad arthritis.
    So guess what happened when I took him out to shoot his brand new gun for the first time?
    1 - He could not push the rounds into the magazine
    2 - He could not rack the slide
    3 - He could not press the slide stop lever down
    4 - He could not press the magazine button in far enough to drop the mag
    5 - Because of his age and arthritis, his hand hurt him for an entire week after shooting one magazine.

This was also the LAST time he went shooting.
    He now plays golf on his free time and I can't get him to go shooting anymore.
    What did I learn?
    Whats good for you may not for everyone else!
    I don't think what's good for me is good for everyone else. If you watch my videos or read my comments, I always tell people to buy what works best for them. I encourage people to go out and use the items they're interested in, read about them, learn as much as they can so they can make an informed buying decision.

The only thing I posted in this thread up until our exchange, which we should both delete, is a video showing how ineffective some of the most common 5.7 ammo on the market it in terms of penetration.

I don't believe the 5.7 with any load is an ideal carry cartridge and I don't think it should be a problem for me to tell others this. I at least back up my comment with video showing the poor penetration of a particular round. I also say there are much better offerings out there than the most common FN branded commercial ammo.

I think the 5.7 is a fine range gun. It's fun to shoot, albeit expensive. It's why I sold my FiveseveN handgun. As I mentioned, I kept my PS90 SBR because of the novelty of it. But if I needed a rifle for something, the PS90 would be the last long gun I would grab... and I think I have good reason for that.

There's no reason for us to be bickering over this, really.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    There's no reason for us to be bickering over this, really.

Like two people arguing over taste great or less filling....just drink the beer already :laugh:
    I think we are saying the same thing anyway HA! :D

Buy what you want but know what your buying first....and don't let your friends listen to a certain person(that I will not publicly name) at H&H. :yesway:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    An employee of mine has one of the 5.7 pistols. I have shot it on a few occasions, and while it's lightweight and functioned well I have no use for it. If you like the gun and how it shoots get one and enjoy! :)

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Like two people arguing over taste great or less filling....just drink the beer already :laugh:
    I think we are saying the same thing anyway HA! :D

Buy what you want but know what your buying first....and don't let your friends listen to a certain person(that I will not publicly name) at H&H. :yesway:
    I'll buy you a drink, but here's something you can razz me about - I don't drink alcohol.

It's because I tend to take all my clothes off and dance around to Donna Summers disco songs. It's gotten me banned from church events and home owners meetings.

Top Bottom