• Status
    Not open for further replies.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    We (MODs) don't talk about who got infractions. That said, how do you know that someone did or did not get an infraction? I can tell you with 100% certainty that if two members sling insults at each other and I see it, I give both of them infractions.

Next question:
    Lets say you and another member both insult each other. You get an infraction. Why would you think the other member didn't get one? Would you then use the Report Post feature to bring the other insult to our attention? Why or why not?

what about if a mod calls a member a troll? does the mod get infracted? I have been infracted for calling a member a troll, but VUPDblue, I saw you do it and the comment remained. It was in the thread regarding an officer that commited suicide. while i do believe in some discretion, I also believe that if you post something on the internet for thousands to see, then be prepared for someone to say something you dont like. its just the territory. thanks for openly discussing these things.

Im not perfect, and I am working on some things here in regards to my posts, but I want to see all members treated the same, mod or not.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't understand the obsession with the classified rules either. Does not posting a price or pictures only hurt the seller and his ability to sell? Instead, we have people who aren't even interested in said item but they feel it's their mod wannabe duty to police the world. If a seller can't be bothered to improve his chances at a sale, then let it be on him. This is just another shining example of the rampant nannyism on this board.

Here's how that goes:

OP: I have a shotgun for sale. Remington 870.

Poster 1: How much?

OP: $250

P2: Got any pics?

OP: I'll have 'em tonight or tomorrow, as soon as I can borrow my mom's camera.

P1: More details?

OP: Like what?

P1: Gauge? Round count? Location? Any damage to it?

You get the idea. By us saying, in essence, "put all the relevant info that people always ask for in your OP", we minimize the 7, 8, 9, or 10 bumps the thread is sure to get as the interested folks pull teeth to get what they're going to want to know. When you post a WTS ad with all of that in your OP, you don't get all the bumps and the other guy has a significant advantage over you by keeping his ad near the top of the listings.

Make more sense? :)

phil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    Ryan, if you want to discuss a particular issue, like an adult, and peacefully as has been happening for the last hundred or so posts, please feel free. If you just want to point out all your perceived injustices, then this isn't the thread for you. :twocents:

I will try to address some of these points.
    First off, why does name calling have to be such a taboo thing? If two people are having a disagreement and it gets heated to the point where one calls the other an ignorant *******, why is that a bad thing?
    Because it's against the rules. The rules of this house clearly state that name-calling and insulting others is not allowed. This is an absolute. Folks who post here are expected, even in heated discussions, to not insult or name-call others.

I have no dog in this fight....BUT...I think this is the double standard that members are seeing. VUPDblue....it looks to me, you are talking down (insulting) SE in the first quote. Then in the later you lay out the "law".

In order for this site to return to it's previous state....I think it will need a complete overhaul. The above mentioned has much to do with the degeneration of this site. Just my :twocents:.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here's how that goes:

OP: I have a shotgun for sale. Remington 870.

Poster 1: How much?

OP: $250

P2: Got any pics?

OP: I'll have 'em tonight or tomorrow, as soon as I can borrow my mom's camera.

P1: More details?

OP: Like what?

P1: Gauge? Round count? Location? Any damage to it?

You get the idea. By us saying, in essence, "put all the relevant info that people always ask for in your OP", we minimize the 7, 8, 9, or 10 bumps the thread is sure to get as the interested folks pull teeth to get what they're going to want to know. When you post a WTS ad with all of that in your OP, you don't get all the bumps and the other guy has a significant advantage over you by keeping his ad near the top of the listings.

Make more sense? :)

I understand that but I as a member am not entitled to a garage sale of someone's safe. If mods want tO delete ads for rules violations fine, but I'm talking about those who aren't mods and feel it's their duty to police this place. These same people do this all over the board. I'm not a mod, haven't been asked to be a mod, and don't want to be a mod. It's not my place to be a busybody and worry about what everyone else is doing. Many here like to complain about the nannies in government running our lives but they are all to eager to be nannies here.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Also, I dont like it when I see a mod snap back with "well then take a break" or something to that effect on the forrum when they ban someone. To me its like bragging, like when somone bumps their ad in the classifieds sold. HEY HEY LOOK AT ME!! kinda thing. the member has no way to respond, and you just told everyone they are banned and for what (right or wrong) pretty much with a little reading. when you are banned and try to log onto the site, you are met with a messsage that tells you to take a break and for how long, so really the posting of "take a break" in the forrum serves no purpose other than to show a mod has flexed his muscles. then it usualy leads to some discussion, flames, etc.

for the record, I have not been in disagreement with the mod staff as a whole. there are just a couple who have opperated in a questionable way to me which makes me wonder if they hate their job so much (as it seems on the board) then why be a mod? I have been asked by mods "if you hate ingo so much then why stay?" so I think my question is also fair.
    I dont hate the INGO community. I dont like how some things are approached though. in the end I understand it doesnt matter at all what I think, but since this is about discussing it then fine. I will say that when I became a site supporter almost a year ago, things were a lot different here.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't understand the obsession with the classified rules either. Does not posting a price or pictures only hurt the seller and his ability to sell? Instead, we have people who aren't even interested in said item but they feel it's their mod wannabe duty to police the world. If a seller can't be bothered to improve his chances at a sale, then let it be on him. This is just another shining example of the rampant nannyism on this board.

I get your reasoning, but if we didn't have rules in that section, there would be the opportunity for someone to ensure their thread remains at the top, never giving others the opportunity to be seen. This may not be a huge concern, because I am not interested in a LNIB Mossberg 500 for $950. However, by bumping it every :15 minutes with, "Come on guys, you know you want it." or "I could throw is a box of shells." then "Okay, I'll take $25 off" and these are followed up by several others, in one day. . .it could get old, really fast. And yes, someone would actually do that.

To answer your other question, I've seen ads reported with several posts with, "Can you provide a price." and "Still waiting on a price." If we didn't delete those ads, people interested in the item would continue to post the question.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Really guys?

The only "issue" I have even noticed is that there is growing tensions between two groups of people. That like all other conflicts will come to a head and it will deescalate from there. In other words, it will work itself out.

All of the other issues you are talking about here just blow me away!

Infractions: I've had 3 of 'em! I didn't even know I was doing anything wrong when I got them but, that's the point of 'em. Now I know AND so do all of the Mods. They know I have been "warned".

Closed Threads: I've had a handful closed. Looking back, they were BAD ideas. I thought one thing, the Mods knew better, and they were right!

Some of you guys are complaining about what others do or post and asking the Mods to "do something about it". Those same people are posting that they are tired of the other "nannies" out there.

Look at this board as a small self-governed entity. If you do not like a thread or what someone is posting, stay out of it. If you feel the need to post in the thread stating why you disagree, post.

Is it really that hard?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Also, I dont like it when I see a mod snap back with "well then take a break" or something to that effect on the forrum when they ban someone. To me its like bragging, like when somone bumps their ad in the classifieds sold. HEY HEY LOOK AT ME!! kinda thing. the member has no way to respond, and you just told everyone they are banned and for what (right or wrong) pretty much with a little reading. when you are banned and try to log onto the site, you are met with a messsage that tells you to take a break and for how long, so really the posting of "take a break" in the forrum serves no purpose other than to show a mod has flexed his muscles. then it usualy leads to some discussion, flames, etc.

for the record, I have not been in disagreement with the mod staff as a whole. there are just a couple who have opperated in a questionable way to me which makes me wonder if they hate their job so much (as it seems on the board) then why be a mod? I have been asked by mods "if you hate ingo so much then why stay?" so I think my question is also fair.
    I dont hate the INGO community. I dont like how some things are approached though. in the end I understand it doesnt matter at all what I think, but since this is about discussing it then fine. I will say that when I became a site supporter almost a year ago, things were a lot different here.

Agreed. Also to your other post, same standard for everyone.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Really guys?

The only "issue" I have even noticed is that there is growing tensions between two groups of people. That like all other conflicts will come to a head and it will deescalate from there. In other words, it will work itself out.

All of the other issues you are talking about here just blow me away!

Infractions: I've had 3 of 'em! I didn't even know I was doing anything wrong when I got them but, that's the point of 'em. Now I know AND so do all of the Mods. They know I have been "warned".

Closed Threads: I've had a handful closed. Looking back, they were BAD ideas. I thought one thing, the Mods knew better, and they were right!

Some of you guys are complaining about what others do or post and asking the Mods to "do something about it". Those same people are posting that they are tired of the other "nannies" out there.

Look at this board as a small self-governed entity. If you do not like a thread or what someone is posting, stay out of it. If you feel the need to post in the thread stating why you disagree, post.

Is it really that hard?

And the disrespect is being blamed on ythe wrong group.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Is it really that hard?

This is pretty much what I'm talking about.

And yes, there is a nanny-syndrome among some of the staff and members.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I understand that but I as a member am not entitled to a garage sale of someone's safe. If mods want tO delete ads for rules violations fine, but I'm talking about those who aren't mods and feel it's their duty to police this place. These same people do this all over the board. I'm not a mod, haven't been asked to be a mod, and don't want to be a mod. It's not my place to be a busybody and worry about what everyone else is doing. Many here like to complain about the nannies in government running our lives but they are all to eager to be nannies here.

It's not your place to be a "busybody", to use your term. The other side of that is that there are 1300+ members for every mod. If only 1 of those for every 10 post, that's still 130+. We all do other things besides INGO, too, and even if we all logged in every day and read nothing but the classifieds, the chance of us reading 130 threads each is about nil. Because of that, we very much appreciate members who note rule violations and report them to bring them to our attention. (In addition, just reading classifieds isn't a whole lot of fun, and we are here to enjoy the site, too. :) )

If you choose not to report posts, that's your choice. To those who do help us by making those reports in and out of the classifieds, thank you.

Blessings,
    Bill

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    And the disrespect is being blamed on ythe wrong group.
    What group is the "wrong" group? Realistically...it's all a matter of opinion.

And yes, there is a nanny-syndrome among some of the staff and members.
    Seriously...because I respect you... Why do you keep coming back to a place ran by a group of people you obviously despise? I really don't understand this. :dunno:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's not your place to be a "busybody", to use your term. The other side of that is that there are 1300+ members for every mod. If only 1 of those for every 10 post, that's still 130+. We all do other things besides INGO, too, and even if we all logged in every day and read nothing but the classifieds, the chance of us reading 130 threads each is about nil. Because of that, we very much appreciate members who note rule violations and report them to bring them to our attention. (In addition, just reading classifieds isn't a whole lot of fun, and we are here to enjoy the site, too. :) )

If you choose not to report posts, that's your choice. To those who do help us by making those reports in and out of the classifieds, thank you.

Blessings,
    Bill

But to some, it's not enough to simply hit the report post button (which I have no problem with btw), they have to publically berate other members at every opportunity. Then they can run back to the status update thread to tell of their amazing conquest to all of their back slapping buddies.

I just visited the break room a few minutes ago. Who's stirring the pot now?

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    This whole thread is odd, I have NEVER had any issues whatsoever, and if I was "moderated" I am not sure I wouldnt just blow it off and not care. In fact, I think I have been infracted, and I dont remember giving it a second thought.

Why are so many people all up in arms over this? Are we maybe... a little easy to offend perhaps?

Either way, I find it difficult to care very much.
    because in a way it is treating us like we are 13 again. we are all adults here, i dont know of anyone here that wants to be treated like a kid, do you? not trying to insult, its my 1 cent after taxes

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Blessings,
    Bill

This was my understanding as well.

I certainly don't go looking for violations(and I think the piling on with negative reps is unnecessary), when I see one I will bring it to your guy's attention.

Coydog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Fort Greenwood
    Read the entire thread. Best thread ever. This is the way to do it. I like it here because I like to hear what people in Indiana have to say. Gun owners tend to be more mature and respectful than the population in general.

I'm not interested in discussing guns all the time but I like to be able to without having my intentions suspected. (What do you need a gun for? Who do you want to shoot?) The rules could use some tweaking for clarification.

I think people worry too much about what outsiders will think. We are what we are.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Seriously...because I respect you... Why do you keep coming back to a place ran by a group of people you obviously despise? I really don't understand this. :dunno:

This place may be run by SOME people who I can't stand, but there are many people here that I am friends with and don't want to break ties with because someone has an ego hungry power trip. I'm not going to try to convince this forum to bow to my own personal wishes. I'm just trying to shed some light on the crap that has become standard practice here. I used to love this forum. It was a great place to hang out and be yourself. Slowly over time, egos, money, and cliques took this forum for a loop. I'm simply trying to shed light on this, discuss it, and hope that things turn around.

It's not that I WANT to leave and not come back. What I WANT is for this forum to go back to being a great place to hang out. Some members here may be content with the bull****, the censorship, the laziness, the lack of respect for the membership, and the fact that God is not allowed in this forum. I am not. If this won't change, I'll gladly go my own way. However, I thought that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, this thread would bring some positive change back to this forum.

I guess I was wrong. :dunno:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    And for the record, I don't despise the Mod staff. I actually miss conversation with a lot of them.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    This place may be run by SOME people who I can't stand, but there are many people here that I am friends with and don't want to break ties with because someone has an ego hungry power trip. I'm not going to try to convince this forum to bow to my own personal wishes. I'm just trying to shed some light on the crap that has become standard practice here. I used to love this forum. It was a great place to hang out and be yourself. Slowly over time, egos, money, and cliques took this forum for a loop. I'm simply trying to shed light on this, discuss it, and hope that things turn around.

It's not that I WANT to leave and not come back. What I WANT is for this forum to go back to being a great place to hang out. Some members here may be content with the bull****, the censorship, the laziness, the lack of respect for the membership, and the fact that God is not allowed in this forum. I am not. If this won't change, I'll gladly go my own way. However, I thought that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, this thread would bring some positive change back to this forum.

Understood. But you do realize life is full of rules... Sometimes we agree with them and sometimes we don't. It is what you make of it. Sometimes it's best to find other places (with other rules) we feel more comfortable with. I for one hope you don't leave...you're fun to pick on. :):

:twocents:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

SavageEagle, I know you don't like INGO or some of the mods. We are attempting to acknowledge our imperfections and make improvements. I understand you have friends here, but I respectfully ask that you consider that others also have friends here. You have chosen to come back only to post when there is drama and that is your choice. However, INGO can never go back to the way it was, because every entity evolves. Some of your statements are valid and are being considered. Other demands will not be considered because they call for resignations/firings of people who the owner deems to be useful.

There are many great things going on at INGO. Without those members who do those things, this place would not be worth the bandwidth. That said, your comments in this thread and in other areas, are noted and are not being ignored. Are there other matters you care to call to our attention besides the fact that we are not performing our jobs correctly?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom