• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunErgy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 4, 2018
    Westfield
    There is zero comparison. They both shoot 9mm and that is the extent of a fair comparison. The rest is preferential/role specific. A cz and a glock will do everything the other will do, but in completely different ways. It is like trying to compare a luxury car to an economy car, or compare a work truck to a econo car. Answer a few important questions.

Do I want to carry it? Yes - Glock has endless holster options and plastic is much nicer to carry than a heavy 75 with far fewer holster options
    Do I want to have lots of easy upgrades? Glock parts are everywhere, cz's are extremely specialized and will require ordering from 2 or 3 good vendors
    Do I want plastic or metal? glock plastic, cz metal
    Hammer or striker?
    Do I want a lot of magazines? Glock - cheap and abundant Cz- expensive and specialized

Both will be more accurate than you are right out of the box, both will run, both are about the same cost, both are very nice. The cz will get more looks, and will attract more "range friends".

Personally I think everyone should own a glock, cz75, and a 1911. The holy trinity. Knowing how to shoot a glock well seems like a no brainer, they are everywhere and shtf, they will likely be what you find scavenging. CZ 75's are super shooters, lots of fun, and just feel so nice. The 1911 is just a staple of American gun lore, they will make you a better shooter even if we think they are kind of out of date heavy and mildly cumbersome compared to the first two.

I am a strong believer in caliber diversity. CZ for 9mm fun, Glocks for 40 and 357 carry, and 1911 in 45 for learning.

Thank you Ggreen for the very excellent list of questions. They helped me think through what I really want/need. As I said back in the original post this pistol is for 9mm range fun primarily and secondarily home defense. I do not "plan" on carrying it so seems the CZ would be a better fit than the Glock 17 for this specific purpose.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well if your looking for something unusual. A week or two ago the Indy Gun Bunker over at Post and Washinton had a Glock 17L in the case.

You don't see these often at all. 6.02 inch barrel.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Have you looked at any of the Springfield XD options?
    Also the sig p226 is also a great firearm that has been suggested here a couple of times. Even if it is over your planned budget if you don't mind buying used you can find a used P226 at a great price that might fit into your budget. Good luck!

GunErgy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 4, 2018
    Westfield
    Have you looked at any of the Springfield XD options?
    Also the sig p226 is also a great firearm that has been suggested here a couple of times. Even if it is over your planned budget if you don't mind buying used you can find a used P226 at a great price that might fit into your budget. Good luck!

I think I'm between a Glock 17 and a CZ 75 at this point. But a good friend of mine has been lobbying for the P226 or new SP2022.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Walther “Creed”/PPX
    Looks strange shoots unbelievable!
    Feels like you are shooting a full sized .380.
    Its a big pistol great for home defense looks natural with a light on it.
    You can pick one up for less than $350.00

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    I think I'm between a Glock 17 and a CZ 75 at this point. But a good friend of mine has been lobbying for the P226 or new SP2022.

Can't go wrong with CZ! I've had the SP2022 there was something off about the size of the firearm and how it fit my hand, but still, a good firearm. I just recently picked up a P226 in .40 S&W and it's really showed me how much I suck with LARGE frame pistols. Let me know what you go with. I'm not a glock guy but I got to shoot the 19x (I think that's what it was) and I kinda want one now.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'm a Glock guy, there, I said it.
    ive had a Glock since '89, and they are hard to beat. I carry a Glock everyday, but, like you, I like range toys also. I bought a couple of HK P30's for the range. They are awesome feeling guns, but I couldn't out shoot myself with a Glock. The triggers sucked. Worse than a Glock even. The P30 just feels perfect in my hand, but, the targets said otherwise.

Traded the HKs off for CZs, and have no regrets. The CZs are just a blast to shoot. The triggers in a Cajunized CZ will only be beat by a worked over 1911, which you will need too. Range toys can get expensive, be careful.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I own quite a few pistols including Glocks, CZs, H&Ks, S&Ws... The one I choose for home defense, bedside duty is my P226 Mk25 with mounted light.

jt1975

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Whiteland
    Have to agree. Can't go wrong with glock, cz, hk, sig or a xd (prefer the xdm grip myself) my go to always ends up being a glock 19.

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    I would say hands-down I prefer the TAURUS PT-92.

I've used various Glocks, Single and Double-stack 1911's in 9mm, and a Beretta 92, and:

The Glocks are not ergonomic, and I dislike not having control of the hammer.
    The 1911's are great (Rock Island came with a 22 TCM barrel too), but require specific holsters for Condition One carry.
    The Beretta's double-action-first-shot setup makes the special holsters unnecessary, but the push-forward safety is awful.

The Taurus is reliable (I've had two and shot over 5,000 rounds from each with no jams) and has a 1911-style safety.

For a small 9mm, I like the Sig P-938 for the same reasons.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would say hands-down I prefer the TAURUS PT-92.

I've used various Glocks, Single and Double-stack 1911's in 9mm, and a Beretta 92, and:

The Glocks are not ergonomic, and I dislike not having control of the hammer.
    The 1911's are great (Rock Island came with a 22 TCM barrel too), but require specific holsters for Condition One carry.
    The Beretta's double-action-first-shot setup makes the special holsters unnecessary, but the push-forward safety is awful.

The Taurus is reliable (I've had two and shot over 5,000 rounds from each with no jams) and has a 1911-style safety.

For a small 9mm, I like the Sig P-938 for the same reasons.

Just curious on a few points.

There are no hammers on Glocks, so just confirming, sounds like you just don't like striker fired guns as a category?

Not sure a specific holster is really required for 1911 Condition One... are you saying you prefer a thumbstrap or something else there?

Fossil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2015
    Fishers
    You can’t go wrong with a Berretta 92 fs. I’ve had one for about 4 years now and as of now I haven’t had an issue. It is not fussy about any brand ammo.

CopperheadL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Usa
    Full frame? how about some options to go with that. look at a EAA witness 45/22 with a 9mm conversion. that gives you 3 calibers on one frame. with potential of getting a .40, 10mm and a .38sig in the future.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I recently checked out a Canick 9mm full size. Really nice grips, upgrades, and 18 round mags.
    The trigger is a bit long before the break, but it seems like a lot of gun for the price point. I shoot Glocks mainly. Changing platforms means new mags, holster, etc...

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    OP, McGalliard Guns and More here in Muncie has a used CZ75 full size and compact for less than $400 each. They're on consignment. Not sure how long they'll last, but they were there today.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    OP, McGalliard Guns and More here in Muncie has a used CZ75 full size and compact for less than $400 each. They're on consignment. Not sure how long they'll last, but they were there today.

Dang OP you could buy both of those and still be within your budget.

GunErgy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 4, 2018
    Westfield

Not sure I can make it up to Muncie soon enough. Point Blank in Carmel is having a sale on all brands in 9mm tomorrow through Sunday. I was hoping to offload one of my ARs before I bought, but the timing might be right with the sale. I appreciate all the insight from everyone. Stay tuned...

GunErgy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 4, 2018
    Westfield
    Not sure I can make it up to Muncie soon enough. Point Blank in Carmel is having a sale on all brands in 9mm tomorrow through Sunday. I was hoping to offload one of my ARs before I bought, but the timing might be right with the sale. I appreciate all the insight from everyone. Stay tuned...

Thank you all very much for your wise council. After much deliberation I made the decision to go with a Gen 4 17 MOS! I am very happy with the purchase and believe the platform will allow me to add on (light, suppressor?, MOS) over the years. Thanks again!

Top Bottom