• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I mainly focus on recyclables filled with water.

i do have a couple brake rotors sitting around. how dangerous are they to shoot up?
    I shot one with a 357 rifle at 75 yards and I was surprised. A hit in the center where the bolt holes area it would peirce a hole in it, but a hit on the out side would shatter a piece off of it. I was shooting some hot reloads, hallow points at that.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I shot one with a 357 rifle at 75 yards and I was surprised. A hit in the center where the bolt holes area it would peirce a hole in it, but a hit on the out side would shatter a piece off of it. I was shooting some hot reloads, hallow points at that.

I am more worried about ricochets. We will only be about 50 yards from it at most. mostly .22, some .380, 9mm, .40, and i've got a Mosin. I am guessing the mosin would destroy it, but would I need to worry about things flying back at me? this is what I always worry about.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPZyBLv0ijc[/ame]

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    You always run the chance of ricochets with targets of opportunity. Many times it is not the target itself that is the issue, but what is behind it. Always mind your backstops.

If you want some steel that is safe to shoot, drop us a line!

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    You always run the chance of ricochets with targets of opportunity. Many times it is not the target itself that is the issue, but what is behind it. Always mind your backstops.

If you want some steel that is safe to shoot, drop us a line!

Im only asking because I dont want to catch a ricochet to the head, but what makes AR500 steel safer to shoot. I understand its harder than most steels, but what makes it safer? Im just gonna take a guess and assume its the divets in used steel that can cause ricochets and AR500 doesnt divet?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Im only asking because I dont want to catch a ricochet to the head, but what makes AR500 steel safer to shoot. I understand its harder than most steels, but what makes it safer? Im just gonna take a guess and assume its the divets in used steel that can cause ricochets and AR500 doesnt divet?

Since AR500 is harder, the round fragments instead of gouging the target. The hardness is what delays the surface imperfections, and the flatness of the surface are what facilitate the predictable fragmentation of the round.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Since AR500 is harder, the round fragments instead of gouging the target. The hardness is what delays the surface imperfections, and the flatness of the surface are what facilitate the predictable fragmentation of the round.

Good to know. Thanks.

And as soon as I have a place of my own, my back yard will be full of your targets. :yesway:

Top Bottom